Laser switching on without Step 4 being switched on!

Najey Rifai

Jul 28, 2022, 2:34:06 AM7/28/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com, Tony Short, ja...@rlab.org.uk, Rup...@rlab.org.uk
Last night I was using the laser cutter and I did the thing where you run it without switching on Step 4 to see the tightness of a fit. To my surprise the soddy thing started firing and burning the wold underneath without air assist! It creates a constant and reasonably large flame (larger than usual).

I have CC'd the directors most involved with the laser cutter but I'm posting this to the whole mailing list so anyone who plans to use the cutter is aware of the issue!

James M

Jul 28, 2022, 3:12:32 AM7/28/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Sounds like the relay contacts are sticking. I think we have a replacement spare somewhere so I'll try to get down to change it out.

James.

James M

Jul 28, 2022, 3:27:59 AM7/28/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
(And you really should use the circular frame option in Lightburn to test how a job will fit on the workpiece. That guarantees it won't fire the laser even if we have a fault like this...)

James.

Mr E

Jul 28, 2022, 5:58:12 AM7/28/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Yikes - I agree with James, but do think we should mark the laser as not safe to use until we can get it sorted.

Rupert

najey...@gmail.com

Jul 28, 2022, 9:46:06 AM7/28/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
That is my general go-to but there was a small detail I wanted it to work around which the circular frame refused to cover! An alternative would be to have a colour that's comparatively fast but with 0% power. I stopped it the moment I noticed and notified Andy :)

M Chad

Jul 28, 2022, 11:37:56 AM7/28/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
I just used it quickly before seeing this thread and also noticed a flame that I hadn't expected.

There is now a quick note to warn users

Najay you left your card in the reader.  it is on the kitchen table now

najey...@gmail.com

Jul 28, 2022, 12:22:02 PM7/28/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Thank you :) I'll pick it up today!

James M

Jul 30, 2022, 11:31:40 AM7/30/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Rupert and I have serviced the laser this afternoon, and it's now back in service.

James.

M Chad

Jul 30, 2022, 7:29:47 PM7/30/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace