Testing new login mechanism

Jayesh Salvi

Mar 9, 2010, 2:24:49 AM3/9/10
to reade...@googlegroups.com
Hi all.

Few weeks ago Google Reader team announced that they are going to change the login mechanism a little and starting from April the old method of logging in will be discontinued. You can find the post here (http://groups.google.com/group/fougrapi/browse_thread/thread/e331f37f7f126c00)

ReaderScope will accordingly be changing to the new method of authentication, starting from upcoming v1.8.2. This new mechanism is straightforward to implement as far as plain Username/Password login is concerned. However the "AutoLogin" is an entirely different beast. It is based on an unsupported and undocumented library. But so far it has worked for all of us. I have found a way to get AutoLogin working too, with the new Google Reader changes. I can get it working on my HTC magic with Cyanogen's ROM that is based on Android 1.6.

I however would like some more testing from you guys. Especially the users of Android 2.x (Droid, Nexus One etc.) devices, who are using AutoLogin. You can get the APK with new login mechanism from this location.

http://www.altcanvas.com/downloads/apks/ReaderScope-1.8.2-preview.apk

After you upgrade and start the app first time, you shouldn't find any difference if everything goes nicely. But to confirm that nothing went wrong, you should navigate to one of the unread items, read it and check from your desktop that the item got marked read. If it is marked read successfully and you didn't see any error message from ReaderScope, then you can report it a success.

You can safely install this APK on your existing installation from market and also upgrade to future upgrades from market. (Unless of course the AutoLogin causes some problem for you).

So please give it a try and let me know.

Thanks in advance.
--
Jayesh

fern...@bugabundo.net

Mar 9, 2010, 3:47:21 AM3/9/10
to reade...@googlegroups.com
tested on Magic with CM and it works fine!
--
Fernando Pereira
(``-_-´´) -- BUGabundo :o)

Jayesh Salvi

Mar 9, 2010, 11:49:35 PM3/9/10
to reade...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Fernando.

Any Nexus one/ Droid owners (Android 2.x)?

Here is a little incentive for you:

"RT @readerscope: Have a Nexus One or Droid? Want to win a FREE Value pack? Test v1.8.2. (2 winners each) more details http://bit.ly/arDmC0"

--
Jayesh

Jayesh Salvi

Mar 11, 2010, 1:53:43 AM3/11/10
to reade...@googlegroups.com
Ok, 1.8.2 is in market, with the new login mechanism. If something bad happens, go to Settings > Logs and press Menu > Email.
--
Jayesh

short/y

Mar 11, 2010, 1:58:42 PM3/11/10
to ReaderScope
Heh ... well, I just tried the preview on my Nexus One and it worked
just as you hoped -- I read an article on my phone and it successfully
updated the read count on my reader account (verified using my PC and
the web interface). So, I guess I'll just reinstall from the Market
since it's out, eh?

BTW, I've already purchased the value pack ... did so quite a while
ago ... so if you're entering people in your contest, you can leave me
out.
--
Tony

On Mar 8, 11:24 pm, Jayesh Salvi <jayeshsa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Few weeks ago Google Reader team announced that they are going to change the
> login mechanism a little and starting from April the old method of logging

> in will be discontinued. You can find the post here (http://groups.google.com/group/fougrapi/browse_thread/thread/e331f37f...

Jayesh Salvi

Mar 11, 2010, 2:01:38 PM3/11/10
to reade...@googlegroups.com

thanks for confirming. (1.8.2 in the market is same as the preview u tested.)