Reactor meeting notes for 5th November

Mark Drew

Nov 5, 2008, 12:49:46 PM11/5/08
to reacto...@googlegroups.com, reacto...@googlegroups.com
Hi there Reactor users, I have just posted the latest meeting notes on
the wiki, but we also need your feedback.

What we discussed in the meeting was something that is rather close to
my heart (especially as a new manager) and that is the features that
we think should be coming up in the next version of Reactor (2.0)

Here are the notes with a brief description of the features. If you
have any more ideas, please let us know! We dearly love your feedback!

October 8 2008 Meeting
Topics proposed

Reactor 2.0 features
Minutes

Mark Drew will be presenting at ColdFusionCamp in Munich on the 27th
of November 2008 talking about (amongst a few things) Reactor and some
of the ideas coming up in version 2.0
Some of the ideas that were discussed were:

Provide Basic Validation engine with Reactor (such as validat or
something else) with a pluggable architecture for other validation
engines
Ability for Reactor to connect to AmazonSimpleDB
Ability to Create tables from Reactor XML
Create data from XML
Create SchemaFile from DB
Create DataFile From DB
Creation of a Dashboard to see cache status, create objects that are
deployed etc.
Implementation of various cache providers
Adding Schema support
Defined Column support :For custom queries in Gateways, would be great
to have tsql-like or utility functions to turn column/table aliaes to
real SQL names etc. (aliasToColName() )
Ability for reactor to work across multiple datasources transparently
Addition of Remote CFC Facades: auto-generate CRUDS CFC for remote access.

--
Mark Drew
Blog: http://www.markdrew.co.uk/blog/

Tom Chiverton

Nov 6, 2008, 5:10:37 AM11/6/08
to reacto...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday 05 Nov 2008, Mark Drew wrote:
> Here are the notes with a brief description of the features. If you
> have any more ideas, please let us know! We dearly love your feedback!

Asked around at work, and we came up with a few we might want to look at.

A non-production mode that isn't 'developer' and actually intelligently, i.e.
doesn't always regenerate everything, only if the table has actually changed.

Like the existing iterator.getQuery(count, startRow) you can use for
one-to-many (2nd half of
http://livedocs.reactorframework.com/Other_Types_of_Relationships.htm) but
for plain old tables.
I.e a syntax to write 'select * from foo ... limit 20' - something like
InvoiceGateway.getByQuery(query,count,startRow). You can do
query.setMaxrows(count) now (I think), but I think the other syntax is better
if so.

Add a section to the Wiki/general docs along the lines of 'I want to do X'. At
the mo. I think there's a list of 'external articles' on the front page, but
it's only got 3 things on it, maybe a fuller list that people can fill in
would be useful, and also promote features that maybe people have missed
hearing about and so aren't aware Reactor does.
--
Tom Chiverton

This email is sent for and on behalf of Halliwells LLP.

Halliwells LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales under registered number OC307980 whose registered office address is at Halliwells LLP, 3 Hardman Square, Spinningfields, Manchester, M3 3EB. A list of members is available for inspection at the registered office. Any reference to a partner in relation to Halliwells LLP means a member of Halliwells LLP. Regulated by The Solicitors Regulation Authority.

CONFIDENTIALITY

This email is intended only for the use of the addressee named above and may be confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the addressee you must not read it and must not use any information contained in nor copy it nor inform any person other than Halliwells LLP or the addressee of its existence or contents. If you have received this email in error please delete it and notify Halliwells LLP IT Department on 0870 365 2500.

For more information about Halliwells LLP visit www.halliwells.com.

Chris Blackwell

Nov 6, 2008, 5:50:15 AM11/6/08
to reacto...@googlegroups.com
I'd also love to see that kind of limit/offset functiontionality, not only for oo queries, but also the basic gateway methods, getByFields & GetAll

Gateway.getByFields(SomeId=1, Name='Chris', _limit=10, _startRow=20)

I'm pretty ignorant about dbms other than mysql, but i'm assuming that its possible

Stephen Moretti

Nov 6, 2008, 6:30:22 AM11/6/08
to reacto...@googlegroups.com

2008/11/5 Mark Drew <mark...@gmail.com>

 Provide Basic Validation engine with Reactor (such as validat or
something else) with a pluggable architecture for other validation
engines

Haven't used it myself, but have you had a look at validateThis from Bob Silverberg - http://www.silverwareconsulting.com/index.cfm/ValidateThis

My understanding is that it is framework and persistence layer agnostic, so should work with Reactor, Transfer-ORM, Hibernate or JoeBloggs-ORM

Stephen