Smooth Factor of lighter rim brake steel forks

Deacon Patrick

Mar 14, 2018, 9:01:02 PM3/14/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Today’s ride, like many of mine, is roughly equal parts paved, dirt, and trail. Compass tires cush the whole ride, but the front fork absorbs a lot of the bigger bumps on dirt and trail. I’ve noticed this for a while, but on the (now really bad) wash board dirt road sections, the fork is compliant and absorbing. This led me to ponder a number of questions I toss out to see where they go...

— Would a stiffer (because they have to be) disk brake fork absorb as much?
— How much of the “required” mindset for shock absorption on gravel and MTB bikes is the result of disk brakes requiring a stiffer fork? (I suspect marketing and “latest gen tech” mentality is likely the biggest factor).

With abandon,
Patrick

www.CredoFamily.org
www.MindYourHeadCoop.org

Lum Gim Fong

Mar 15, 2018, 12:09:54 AM3/15/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wait a second...
“Compliant” ?!?!?! And in another thread today: “power transfer”?!?!?
What are these strange words coming out of them thar hills!!! 😀

Deacon Patrick

Mar 15, 2018, 12:53:43 AM3/15/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Rare air and a thesarus. Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

Philip Williamson

Mar 16, 2018, 1:26:33 AM3/16/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Probably a stiffer disc fork would have to be longer to give the same axle movement, to take the edge off bumps. I doubt any rigid fork can absorb the shocks that a shock fork can. In fact, that seems self-evident.
Not a mathematician or an engineer.

Philip
Santa Rosa today, Redlands tomorrow.

Patrick Moore

Mar 16, 2018, 2:47:23 PM3/16/18
to rbw-owners-bunch
Grant has stated, long ago if not often, that fat/fattish tires and handlbars absorb so much bump that forks are largely irrelevant in doing so. I know Jan believes that thin-blade, heavily raked forks do a great deal to absorb bumps. I'd be curious to know more about this in general, and in particular, about any putatively bump-absorbing fork that is strong enough to use with a disc brake. Not interested in shock forks, me.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, New Mexico, Etats Unis d'Amerique
Auditis an me ludit amabilis insania?

Nick Payne

Mar 16, 2018, 3:33:17 PM3/16/18
to RBW Owners Bunch