8 speed nexus internal gear hub

starfishboy

Nov 20, 2007, 6:47:01 AM11/20/07
to RBW Owners Bunch
Has anyone had any experience using the 7 or 8 speed nexus internal
hub gearing on their bike? I have read great things about them. Very
popular in Europe, but I dont see many on bikes today.
Any experience or comments are appreciated. Thanks, Starfishboy

carne...@bellsouth.net

Nov 20, 2007, 7:54:12 AM11/20/07
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
When I resurrected my wife's early 70's Raleigh mixte I purchased a
wheel set from Harris Cyclery with the Nexus 7-speed hub.
Unfortunately, the owner rides the bike very little. Every month or so,
I jack the seat up and take it for a ride to be sure everything is is in
working order. That translates into about 200 miles over 3 years. That
said, it has never missed a shift and has required no adjustment since
installation. It is smooth and quiet and with 38 teeth front, 20 rear
gives a very workable gear range. The specifics of gearing are
available on Sheldon Brown's website. If I recall correctly, the 8-speed
has better bearings, etc.
David

Tim Smith

Nov 20, 2007, 9:23:23 AM11/20/07
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

I converted my Quickbeam to 8-speed using the 8-speed version of the
Nexus (Red label). It worked very nicely, shifting was smooth and
reliable. See

http://www.velocio.com/Bikes/QBRivendell

for some pictures and a brief write-up.

I have since converted the QB back to a single-speed, and sold the
Nexus hub/wheel. I liked it well enough, but I like the QB better as
a single-speed, and I have another hub-geared bike. These make great
hubs for a city/commuter bike.

This is what the gearing looked like with the two chain wheels of the QB:

Gear Inches
Gear# Int.Ratio 40 32

8 1.615 83 78
7 1.419 73 68
6 1.223 63 59
5 1.000 51 48
4 0.851 44 41
3 0.748 38 36
2 0.644 33 31
1 0.527 27 25

CycloFiend

Nov 20, 2007, 9:24:14 AM11/20/07
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

There are a number of folks on the iBob list who have built and/or use bikes
using the Nexus hubs. 8 speed is regarded as a big step up from the 7
speeds, in terms of quality. I'd check out the bikelist.org iBob archives,
and hit Sheldon's site for more specific info.

http://search.bikelist.org

http://sheldonbrown.com/nexus

hope that helps,

-- Jim

--

Cyclo...@earthlink.net

Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries - http://www.cyclofiend.com
Current Classics - Cross Bikes
Singlespeed - Working Bikes

Send In Your Photos! - Here's how: http://www.cyclofiend.com/guidelines

"'You both ride your bike?' He held his hands out and grabbed imaginary
handlebars, grinning indulgently, eyeing Tom's helmet. Double disbeleif:
not one, but two grown Americans riding bicycles."
-- Neal Stephenson, "Zodiac"

David Estes

Nov 20, 2007, 11:00:33 AM11/20/07
On Nov 20, 2007 6:24 AM, CycloFiend <cyclo...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> on 11/20/07 3:47 AM, starfishboy at mcl...@earthlink.net wrote:
> > Has anyone had any experience using the 7 or 8 speed nexus internal
> > hub gearing on their bike? I have read great things about them. Very
> > popular in Europe, but I dont see many on bikes today.
> > Any experience or comments are appreciated. Thanks, Starfishboy
>
> There are a number of folks on the iBob list who have built and/or use bikes
> using the Nexus hubs. 8 speed is regarded as a big step up from the 7
> speeds, in terms of quality. I'd check out the bikelist.org iBob archives,
> and hit Sheldon's site for more specific info.
>
> http://search.bikelist.org
>
> http://sheldonbrown.com/nexus
>
> hope that helps,
>
> -- Jim

Here's a site dedicated to them: http://hubstripping.wordpress.com/
They like the ratios of the Nexus Seven better than those of the
Eight, but the Eight is a better build if I could summarize from my
recollection.

--
Cheers,
David

War is peace.

Defeat is victory.

Spying is freedom.

Imperialism is liberation.

And the oil will last forever!

starfishboy

Nov 20, 2007, 1:25:11 PM11/20/07
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hubstripping has Fabulous info......thanks!.....however it may come as
a surprise how they feel about the new 8-speed nexus....your'e right,
they say they prefer the 7-speed, which is too bad......I wish I could
afford the rholoff..but at 1400.00 dead presidents.....ouch!
thanks again!

On Nov 20, 11:00 am, "David Estes" <cyclotour...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2007 6:24 AM, CycloFiend <cyclofi...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> And the oil will last forever!- Hide quoted text -

David Estes

Nov 20, 2007, 1:28:40 PM11/20/07
On Nov 20, 2007 10:25 AM, starfishboy <mcl...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hubstripping has Fabulous info......thanks!.....however it may come as
> a surprise how they feel about the new 8-speed nexus....your'e right,
> they say they prefer the 7-speed, which is too bad......I wish I could
> afford the rholoff..but at 1400.00 dead presidents.....ouch!
> thanks again!

Glad it was helpful! Really good resource. I've been thinking on and
off of building up a Nexus hub for my wife's Glorius. Wish they had
horizontal or at least semi-vertical drop-outs so I could avoid a
Singleator sort of a kludge.

Will

Nov 26, 2007, 2:49:22 PM11/26/07
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm particularly interested to know if anyone has found an elegant,
clean-looking installation for internal hub shifters on drop bars.
Sheldon Brown discusses options for the Rohloff 14-speed hub here:
www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/rohloff.html (see picture of Atlantis
installation at bottom). Picture of same hub on a Glorius mixte with
upright bars here: flickr.com/photos/reneeanddolan/259362085.