[RBW] SoCal Riv May 1 Riv Ride; Photos

Dustin Sharp

May 1, 2010, 10:59:37 PM5/1/10
to Riv List
Seven turned out for today's SoCal Riv ride, riding everything from a Roadeo
with Jack Browns, to a MTB singlespeed with 29x2.4 tires.

42 miles, 5600 feet of climbing, and about 80% of it on dirt. Temps in the
high 60s.

This was some of the best mixed-surface riding around. Paved road, dirt
road, rough fireroad, and a little single track. Some pretty steep pitches,
including one stretch of 21% grade dirt.

Stats and map:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/31903053

Pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33769898@N04/sets/72157623847776549/

Cheers,

Dustin Sharp
San Diego, Calif

Me

May 2, 2010, 12:46:28 AM5/2/10
to RBW Owners Bunch
Very nice, enjoyed it, thanks for sharing!

-Scott

cyclotourist

May 2, 2010, 12:59:13 AM5/2/10
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
This was an amazing ride.  Probably the toughest I've ever been on.   Lots of climbing up front, then marvelous alpine singletrack.  Lots of mud.  Terrible fires through there over the last decade, so all the big trees were dead, but lots of new growth at the ground level.

If you notice Dustin's stats, there was about two hours of non-riding time... I think 75% of that was his/their waiting for me.  Thanks for that by the way!!!  I'm slow in general, but about  4/5 of the way into it my knee quit working, which really sucked for me.  Good Mexican food at the end, too!

Anyway, a great time, even with the slow and the knee.  Some more pics here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclotourist/sets/72157623972486340/
--
Cheers,
David

"Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym."  ~Bill Nye, scientist guy

Dustin Sharp

May 2, 2010, 1:15:16 AM5/2/10
to Riv List
Great pics, David. Hope the ride didn’t set your knee recovery back too much.

Man, if we’d a had a video camera, this would have been up with Jay’s Hunq video.

Straight out of a Riv promo ad.

Esteban

May 2, 2010, 2:29:33 AM5/2/10
to RBW Owners Bunch
WOW! Dustin - thanks so much for planning this. This was likely the
most variety per mile I've see on on one ride - lovely empty
backroads, dirt paths, fire roads, rocky and rutted fire roads, single
track, and twisty road descents and massive climbing. We had a great
group of folks and a lot of variety in the bicycles.

I was going to bring my Neo-Moto clad Rawland until the last minute,
when I went with the Romulus with 35mm Paselas. I'm glad I did, as it
was pretty darn fun getting bounced around on some of the more intense
fire roads. That bike can take a licking.

My photos are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25671211@N02/sets/72157623972790726/

There was snow on these trails last weekend! About an hour from
downtown SD.

Esteban
San Diego, Calif.

On May 1, 10:15 pm, Dustin Sharp <paleo.v...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Great pics, David. Hope the ride didn¹t set your knee recovery back too
> much.
>
> Man, if we¹d a had a video camera, this would have been up with Jay¹s Hunq
> video.
>
> Straight out of a Riv promo ad.
>
> On 5/1/10 9:59 PM, "cyclotourist" <cyclotour...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > This was an amazing ride.  Probably the toughest I've ever been on.   Lots of
> > climbing up front, then marvelous alpine singletrack.  Lots of mud.  Terrible
> > fires through there over the last decade, so all the big trees were dead, but
> > lots of new growth at the ground level.
>
> > If you notice Dustin's stats, there was about two hours of non-riding time...
> > I think 75% of that was his/their waiting for me.  Thanks for that by the
> > way!!!  I'm slow in general, but about  4/5 of the way into it my knee quit
> > working, which really sucked for me.  Good Mexican food at the end, too!
>
> > Anyway, a great time, even with the slow and the knee.  Some more pics here:
> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclotourist/sets/72157623972486340/

MikeC

May 2, 2010, 11:40:25 AM5/2/10
to RBW Owners Bunch
Dustin,

Great photos. Interesting ride statistics. How do you like the Garmin
500? How accurate is the altimeter?

-Mike

Dustin Sharp

May 2, 2010, 12:25:00 PM5/2/10
to Riv List
So far I'm pleased as punch with it, especially as it makes swapping between
4 bikes with different wheel sizes easy. Lots of stats and figures to geek
out on. The heart rate monitor is fun too--first time ever experimenting
with one.

Re the altimeter: when you upload your data to the online system to get the
mapping, you have the option of having it correct the data based on
available topographic sources. That never seems to result in more than a few
feet of correction, so I'm guessing it's accurate enough for most purposes.

The one thing it doesn't do is offer turn-by-turn instructions like the
bigger and more expensive Garmins.

Esteban

May 2, 2010, 1:48:25 PM5/2/10
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've added a narrative post to the blog here:
http://veloflaneur.wordpress.com/2010/05/02/may-day-ride-circumnavigating-mt-cuyamaca/

Ready to do that again!

Esteban
San Diego, Calif.

On May 2, 9:25 am, Dustin Sharp <paleo.v...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So far I'm pleased as punch with it, especially as it makes swapping between
> 4 bikes with different wheel sizes easy.  Lots of stats and figures to geek
> out on. The heart rate monitor is fun too--first time ever experimenting
> with one.
>
> Re the altimeter:  when you upload your data to the online system to get the
> mapping, you have the option of having it correct the data based on
> available topographic sources. That never seems to result in more than a few
> feet of correction, so I'm guessing it's accurate enough for most purposes.
>
> The one thing it doesn't do is offer turn-by-turn instructions like the
> bigger and more expensive Garmins.

Me

May 2, 2010, 3:28:35 PM5/2/10
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jebus, another gorgeous slideshow!!

Thank You for sharing, David.

Man, you folks are making my wife, Amy, and me reconsider our thinking
on NorCal for our next relocation... these pics + riding look
absolutely amazing & fantastic! Had no idea anything like this was
available in SoCal. Had been told the Southern part of the state was
nothing but freeways, pollution and cars everywhere. Obviously, not
true at all.

-Scott
> > rbw-owners-bun...@googlegroups.com<rbw-owners-bunch%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .
> > groups.google.com/group/rbw-owners-bunch?hl=en.
>
> > --
> > .

Mike

May 2, 2010, 5:14:49 PM5/2/10
to RBW Owners Bunch
So many photos from the same epic ride. Bummer that Portland is so far
away. It would be great to have all of you up here for a ride this
summer. I doubt I'll be in CA this year. Who knows, one of these days
maybe some of us will meet up. That ride you guys did is right up my
ally.

--mike

Michael_S

May 2, 2010, 7:09:26 PM5/2/10
to RBW Owners Bunch
yes, a gorgeous area to ride... next time I will make it happen! I
should have come down but the 650 mile RT drive seemed a little much
for a day ride.
I certainly will do that ride when I move down there next year.

~Mike~

cyclotourist

May 2, 2010, 7:51:41 PM5/2/10
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
My pleasure.

If you have the flexibility on where to locate, I think San Diego should be high on your list.  Spend some time down there checking it out.  Our post ride conversation centered around what a great cycling city SD is.  Esteban can give you more information on specifics (whole new topic!) but the only downside would be hills and lack of water.  I think that's going to bite 'em (and all SoCal) in the butt sometime soon.

But yeah, come on down and see the sights!   If you haven't yet, go through the SoCal rides and read/see what's available down here.  EVERY one of these rides has been an eye-opener for me.  I've enjoyed seeing the new areas and meeting new folks so much.  They're just great!
http://www.flickr.com/groups/socal_rivendell_bicycle_appreciation_society/pool/

cyclotourist

cyclotourist

EricP

May 2, 2010, 8:31:01 PM5/2/10
to RBW Owners Bunch
Will second that. Having spent a week there last year, it was a great
town for biking.

But I've never been to Portland or ridden in Northern California, so
my observations are limited.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN

On May 2, 6:51�pm, cyclotourist <cyclotour...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My pleasure.
>
> If you have the flexibility on where to locate, I think San Diego should be
> high on your list. �Spend some time down there checking it out. �Our post
> ride conversation centered around what a great cycling city SD is. �Esteban
> can give you more information on specifics (whole new topic!) but the only
> downside would be hills and lack of water. �I think that's going to bite 'em
> (and all SoCal) in the butt sometime soon.
>
> But yeah, come on down and see the sights! � If you haven't yet, go through
> the SoCal rides and read/see what's available down here. �EVERY one of these
> rides has been an eye-opener for me. �I've enjoyed seeing the new areas and
> meeting new folks so much. �They're just great!http://www.flickr.com/groups/socal_rivendell_bicycle_appreciation_soc...
> > <rbw-owners-bunch%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<rbw-owners-bunch%252Bunsub�scr...@googlegroups.com>

> > <rbw-owners-bunch%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<rbw-owners-bunch%252Bunsub�scr...@googlegroups.com>

> > > --
> > > Cheers,
> > > David
> > > Redlands, CA
>
> > > "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something
> > > wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym." �~Bill Nye,
> > > scientist guy
>
> > > --
> > groups.google.com/group/rbw-owners-bunch?hl=en.
>
> > --
>
> --
> Cheers,
> David
> Redlands, CA
>
> "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something
> wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym." �~Bill Nye,
> scientist guy

Seth Vidal

May 2, 2010, 9:38:17 PM5/2/10
On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 7:51 PM, cyclotourist <cyclot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My pleasure.
>
> If you have the flexibility on where to locate, I think San Diego should be
> high on your list.  Spend some time down there checking it out.  Our post
> ride conversation centered around what a great cycling city SD is.  Esteban
> can give you more information on specifics (whole new topic!) but the only
> downside would be hills and lack of water.  I think that's going to bite 'em
> (and all SoCal) in the butt sometime soon.

The lack of water in particular is going to be a mess.
:(

-sv

cyclotourist

May 2, 2010, 11:11:18 PM5/2/10

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 6:38 PM, Seth Vidal <skv...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 7:51 PM, cyclotourist <cyclot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My pleasure.
>
> If you have the flexibility on where to locate, I think San Diego should be
> high on your list.  Spend some time down there checking it out.  Our post
> ride conversation centered around what a great cycling city SD is.  Esteban
> can give you more information on specifics (whole new topic!) but the only
> downside would be hills and lack of water.  I think that's going to bite 'em
> (and all SoCal) in the butt sometime soon.

The lack of water in particular is going to be a mess.
:(

-sv

--

Sooner, rather than later...

--
Cheers,
David
Redlands, CA

"Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym."  ~Bill Nye, scientist guy

cyclotourist

May 2, 2010, 11:12:30 PM5/2/10
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The California Visitor's Bureau should send us all a small stipend.

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 5:31 PM, EricP <eric...@aol.com> wrote:
Will second that.  Having spent a week there last year, it was a great
town for biking.

But I've never been to Portland or ridden in Northern California, so
my observations are limited.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN

On May 2, 6:51�pm, cyclotourist <cyclotour...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My pleasure.
>
> If you have the flexibility on where to locate, I think San Diego should be
> high on your list. �Spend some time down there checking it out. �Our post
> ride conversation centered around what a great cycling city SD is. �Esteban
> can give you more information on specifics (whole new topic!) but the only
> downside would be hills and lack of water. �I think that's going to bite 'em
> (and all SoCal) in the butt sometime soon.
>
> But yeah, come on down and see the sights! � If you haven't yet, go through
> the SoCal rides and read/see what's available down here. �EVERY one of these
> rides has been an eye-opener for me. �I've enjoyed seeing the new areas and
> meeting new folks so much. �They're just great!http://www.flickr.com/groups/socal_rivendell_bicycle_appreciation_soc...

Errin Vasquez

May 2, 2010, 11:16:17 PM5/2/10
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
New to this list, but I see some people from other lists here too.  (Kog and LHT)

Great ride report.  I was down at the Mt. Laguna Bicycle Classic a couple of weeks ago and it was my first time in that area.  You SD people are very lucky.  That looks like a great area to explore.  I'll be back there soon.

Errin

Andy.M

May 3, 2010, 10:17:55 AM5/3/10
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks like it was a great ride! I'm bummed that I missed it, but
Seattle was amazing!
Anyone down for a repeat some upcoming weekend?
-Andy

Michael_S

May 3, 2010, 12:18:39 PM5/3/10
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm game for a repeat ( or something like it) I just need to schedule
it with staying at my daughters place down there. My wife and
daughter need to do some wedding dress shopping... this may work out
just great!

~Mike~
> For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/rbw-owners-bunch?hl=en.- Hide quoted text -

Dustin Sharp

May 3, 2010, 12:27:02 PM5/3/10
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Happy to lead people on a mixed terrain adventure at any point. It does get
hot in the areas with the best riding during the summer months
though--something to keep in mind.

doug peterson

May 3, 2010, 1:37:38 PM5/3/10
to RBW Owners Bunch
Dustin:

Love the photo of the tires. "Run what you brung". Your "average
moving speed" is about what I average on a tour...on pavement....with
a whole lot less elevation gain. You guys were moving right along.

dougP

Esteban

May 4, 2010, 12:59:48 PM5/4/10
to RBW Owners Bunch
All this worry about water makes you guys sound like some Portlander
building an armageddon bike. "650B is a risky tire size when the
stuff hits the fan!" Let's just keep our fingers crossed and hope it
keeps raining.

San Diego is a great cycling town. Lots of variety. We still haven't
done a desert ride through Anza Borrego! That might be nice next
winter. Yes, folks, when you're in Southern California, give us a
holler and we'll try to get something together. We've been all over
the place!

No offense to Angelinos, but the only bummer is that for us to get
anywhere - Joshua Tree, central coast, Bay Area, Sierras, high desert,
etc - we have to get through LA. San Diego is kind of an island -
Mexico to the south (can be wonderful!), the desert to the east (also
quite nice), the Pacific to the west (nuff said), and Camp Pendleton
to the north (a rather lovely ride).

I suppose there are few complaints about our splendid isolation after
all.

Esteban
San Diego, Calif.

Steve Palincsar

May 4, 2010, 5:17:54 PM5/4/10
On Tue, 2010-05-04 at 09:59 -0700, Esteban wrote:
> All this worry about water makes you guys sound like some Portlander
> building an armageddon bike. "650B is a risky tire size when the
> stuff hits the fan!" Let's just keep our fingers crossed and hope it
> keeps raining.

It is funny PDX should be the center of fear of Armageddon on the west
coast, what with San Francisco poised to fall into the Pacific Ocean any
second.

Esteban

May 4, 2010, 8:39:26 PM5/4/10
to RBW Owners Bunch
The real question will be, whose side shall PDX be on?
http://www.insmogandthunder.com/

However, it's likely that the Seattle Internationals, clad in the
"Rando True Blue" colors would outflank and intercept the Ragamuffin
PDX Hobo Riv Brigade.

Meanwhile, the SD-TJ megalopolis would carry on nonplussed.

cyclotourist

XO-1.org Rough Riders

May 11, 2010, 11:06:18 AM5/11/10
to RBW Owners Bunch
If seven riders go on a nice ride, and at least five don't blog about
it, did the ride really happen?

http://www.xo-1.org/2010/05/if-seven-riders-go-on-nice-ride-and-at.html

- Chris Kostman
La Jolla, CA