A great link to the best overview I've seen on lighting systems

climbthemtns

Dec 14, 2011, 3:22:58 PM12/14/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've been researching of late to replace a NR light that has finally
failed. I use a Hunq for my commute through Walnut Creek trail
systems that are very dark. I was pretty challenged by the options I
found on various threads here as well as reading through Peter White's
site. I called them to ask about the best non-dynamo option for the
brightest light and Peter said that they'll be carrying a new Philips
light in January that's the brightest light he's seen in the AA
rechargeable battery group. It has a flatten, oval beam and will cost
about $200.

Well, that led me on a search to see if I could find this particular
light and I found the following site which has an amazing overview of
lighting systems, including I think this new Philips:

http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/index_en.html#gewenst_in_koplampen_met_afkapping_voor_dynamo

If you scroll down the Contents, you'll see a Philips LED bike light
(LBL), battery powered with cutoff
and a
Philips Saferide 40 (which is the newest Philips light, but not sure
if this is what Peter is referring to).

My considerations are to go with this new Philips or the the DiNotte
or the Busch & Muller IXON IQ.

Anyone familiar with the Philips LBL or the new Philips

climbthemtns

Dec 14, 2011, 7:14:15 PM12/14/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Just heard back from Peter-
He says -
"The "40" isn't the bright one. The one I'll be stocking costs $220
and is twice the brightness. SR80."
Just placed my order.

Michael

On Dec 14, 12:22 pm, climbthemtns <climbthem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been researching of late to replace a NR light that has finally
> failed.  I use a Hunq for my commute through Walnut Creek trail
> systems that are very dark.  I was pretty challenged by the options I
> found on various threads here as well as reading through Peter White's
> site.  I called them to ask about the best non-dynamo option for the
> brightest light and Peter said that they'll be carrying a new Philips
> light in January that's the brightest light he's seen in the AA
> rechargeable battery group.  It has a flatten, oval beam and will cost
> about $200.
>
> Well, that led me on a search to see if I could find this particular
> light and I found the following site which has an amazing overview of
> lighting systems, including I think this new Philips:
>

> http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/index_en.html#gewe...

René Sterental

Dec 15, 2011, 1:13:55 AM12/15/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I was particularly interested in the section on the handlebar vibration caused by the dynamo hubs. Ion my Atlantis I have a SON 28 hub with an Edelux, a combination the author states gives out quite a bit of vibration. I wonder if this has something to do with the annoying shimmy I get on tht bike.

I'll do a test run with a regular hub and will try the SON28 and Edelux on my Hunqapillar to see if anything changes and/or I can feel any differences.

René

Toshi Takeuchi

Dec 14, 2011, 7:49:28 PM12/14/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the 80 lux model is the one you want. If 1.5 hours is okay for
you in terms of battery life on high (with 4 high quality NiMH AA
batteries), then this is the light to get.

I wish they produced the same philips light for dynamo. The dynamo is
a 60 lux version, which is apparently more or less comparable to the
B&M IQ Cyo.

Toshi

Kelly Sleeper

Dec 15, 2011, 1:49:26 PM12/15/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
@Rene Ok so I wasn't real impressed with that site. First I have three SON28's and through I do feel it at times it's on high speed downhills. Also to me the drag is less at lower speeds and the author indicated that higher speeds the hub was had less drag.
To continue, at the end he was rather smug in the retaliation of other blogs or what not. In the end I didn't feel it was a credible source. Even though Peter White sells the stuff I feel better about his credibility and reviews. This may be just me.
Also be careful on that site. Many of the reviews and statements are based on 2007/2008 evaluations. Check the dates.

I've also taken the SON28 off the bike and ridden with a regular wheel. Honestly I couldn't tell the difference. Have the time I have to reach over and see if the light is on. I sure haven't had any vibration that worked it's way to the handlebars on any of the bikes.

If not mistaken the Edelux is 80 lux or advertised as so. It's my opinion that it's about the same brightness of a Minewt only covering 3x the area. (guessing and my opinion once again)

Not to mention I think it would be great to see night rider or others getting back into the dyno systems and bringing the technology they poor into the battery market. In the mean time after a year on dyno systems I could not go back to battery. Not because battery doesn't work, but because I'm lazy, unorganized, and spur of the moment. Dyno systems allow me to just go and not think.. :) I have had numerous instances over the years where batterie's died .. I forgot to charge or didn't turn the beam down lower etc.

That's my 2 cents.. not claiming to be right.. just my impressions.

kelly

climbthemtns

Dec 15, 2011, 5:08:28 PM12/15/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Kelly:

Glad to have your input. A great 2 cents worth! Goes to show how
various blog reviews can be biased & outdated. Helps to have informed
perspectives on other perspectives You have me reconsidering a hub
change. Will stop in at Riv and see what Rich would charge for a hub
change. I'm still going to go with a battery backup system.
Thanks again

climbthemtns

Dec 15, 2011, 5:07:36 PM12/15/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Kelly:

Glad to have your input. Goes to show how various blog reviews can be

biased & outdated. Helps to have informed perspectives on other
perspectives You have me reconsidering a hub change. Will stop in at
Riv and see what Rich would charge for a hub change. I'm still going
to go with a battery backup system.
Thanks again

René Sterental

Dec 18, 2011, 3:52:00 AM12/18/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Kelly,

I too have reconsidered the info on that website after re-reading it carefully. I can't feel anything when riding my SON28 wheel on the Atlantis, but just for the sake of it will try riding a regular front wheel to see if I can tell them apart. Today I picked up a new SON28 Dyad 36 front wheel for the Hunqapillar and will go with another Edelux on it as well. The new SON28 hub is so nice to look at... seems to be asking to be matched to a shiny rear hub as well... Will need to sell some stuff...

Thanks again for the feedback,

René

Anthony King

Dec 18, 2011, 9:47:15 AM12/18/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm almost certain the author of that site didn't have his SON28
skewer tightened properly. In this case you'll feel excessive
vibration. If he built the wheel he was testing this should have been
obvious, since the SON28 (like all dynohubs) must be clamped tightly
in the truing stand to spin smoothly. When not clamped adequately the
SON hub are more notchy than inadequately tightened Shimano dynes. But
secured properly the SON spins more smoothly.

Discloser: I sell SON and Shimano dynohubs, as well as others.

Michael Richters

Dec 18, 2011, 9:16:23 AM12/18/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Interesting info & reviews, but still quite subjective. Regarding the
dynohub vibrations, it's important to keep in mind that he's not just
comparing different hubs in isolation. The hub interacts with the
rest of the wheel and the fork (and possibly even the rest of the
frame). Anecdotes like this do not constitute anything like
scientific data, and regardless of claims of objectivity, the author's
observations are just as subjective as anyone else's. It might be
possible for an individual to compare different wheels (not just the
hubs) on a given bicycle, as long as precautions were taken to ensure
that he couldn't identify them. Even then, to make a really fair
comparison, you'd have to build several wheels on each hub to control
for variations in rims, et cetera. And even that wouldn't tell you
how much vibration *your* hub will cause, and under what conditions,
on *your* bike. It's a very hard problem, but a single anecdotal
comparison is not very useful for determining which hub will cause the
most vibration on a given bicycle.

--MR

Matthew J

Dec 18, 2011, 7:54:35 AM12/18/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Same here. Have a SONs twice. Current bike never vibrates that I
notice. Earlier bike was the smoothest rider I ever owned (sadly
destroyed while parked on a sidewalk by an out of control truck).

charlie

Dec 19, 2011, 4:00:45 AM12/19/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have a Serafas 150 lumen that I use on my helmet and that sucker is
really bright on high power. I use it on low in combination with my IQ
Fly 24 and the VO dyno hub which by the way I experience no vibrations
from. This combo just works for me really nicely. I did however take a
ride in the fog tonight with just the dyno light and had no problems
seeing even in the turns. The real benefit of the helmet light is for
blasting auto drivers who high beam me. Go with a dyno hub, you won't
be disappointed. I procrastinated for a couple years and wish I
hadn't. Now night rides are relaxing and I actually get some riding
time in the winter months.

On Dec 14, 12:22 pm, climbthemtns <climbthem...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been researching of late to replace a NR light that has finally
> failed.  I use a Hunq for my commute through Walnut Creek trail
> systems that are very dark.  I was pretty challenged by the options I
> found on various threads here as well as reading through Peter White's
> site.  I called them to ask about the best non-dynamo option for the
> brightest light and Peter said that they'll be carrying a new Philips
> light in January that's the brightest light he's seen in the AA
> rechargeable battery group.  It has a flatten, oval beam and will cost
> about $200.
>
> Well, that led me on a search to see if I could find this particular
> light and I found the following site which has an amazing overview of
> lighting systems, including I think this new Philips:
>

> http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/index_en.html#gewe...

Damian

Dec 19, 2011, 5:29:05 AM12/19/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Friends,

Your criticism of that site is a bit harsh in my opinion. If you read
it you will see that it is not out of date. On the page you reference,
the latest update is 10th December 2011. On the page (http://bit.ly/
ubhx99) dedicated to the SON 28 he wrote an update on 14th March 2011.
In this update he specifically mentions that he ensured that the
skewers were properly tightened.

Like he says, people don't seem to like his site because he doesn't
like the SON 28!

As far as I can see, the likely source of the vibration for him is
either because of a resonance between his fork and the hub or because
his particular hub sample is faulty in some way. Of course in the
interests of objectivity he should therefore try his hub on another
bike and test a different hub sample. Those seem to be the only
criticisms that can fairly be made of his review though.

Just my 2 cents!

Damian

EricP

Dec 19, 2011, 6:20:00 AM12/19/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Happen to have 3 SON 28 hubs. The one on the Sam Hillborne does seem
to vibrate occasionally. Although I'm not totally clear it is a
problem or if I'm being "princess and the pea."

Also find the referenced site's review of lights not in line with my
personal experience. But he is entitled to his opinion.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN

Anthony King

Dec 19, 2011, 9:33:19 AM12/19/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
On the page (http://bit.ly/
> ubhx99) dedicated to the SON 28 he wrote an update on 14th March 2011.
> In this update he specifically mentions that he ensured that the
> skewers were properly tightened.

I didn't see that part of the website. Apologies.