FS: 1958 Rene Herse, 60 X 57 c-c, $2,500 + S/H

PATRICK MOORE

Dec 16, 2011, 6:38:56 PM12/16/11
to internet-bob, rbw-owners-bunch
Unfortunately, I need cash and, second, the Herse overlaps the Fargo (touring) and trike (don't laugh -- coastie/gearie JRA and shopping.) Randonees? If I ever do that, I'll worry about that then, not now.

Jan opined that this bike might have been built for "diagonales" but while it rides like a very nice all rounder, it is built of stout tubing and ought to make a very nice touring bike for up to 32s with fenders.

$2,500 plus actual shipping and packing by Bike Coop here in ABQ, NM.

Photos and questions answered for the seriously interested, but general description below.

60X57 c-c (fits me who am an Asian-type 5'10" -- by that I mean, fits me perfectly -- I didn't even bother to adjust the bar when I got it from iBob RS Watson; just adjusted the saddle).

Newly POWDERCOATED in near-Herse blue -- frankly, although the original paint was faded, I believe that this is a nicer -- slightly deeper and shinier -- blue that the original may have been. The custom racks and frame and two TA cages all powdered.

The front rack has very likely been modified and a second story added; works perfectly with the (included) Lafamu bar bag.

I have had the left seatstay bottle dynamo tab and associated tt wire guides ground off; I also had the tt-shift lever mount ground off but the grinder left a little nub -- will explain.

The rack, dt, chainstay and lower st wire guides are intact.

Wheels are Mavic 36 with old style (steel centers) Phils; tires are 32 mm Pasela Tourguards (or IRC Tandems, 30 mm, if you prefer).

Rear 14-28 Shimano 5 speed (it looks very little used, but it does knock lightly when pedaled).

Simplex F and R derailleurs; can add a Huret Duopar for additional $$.

Mavic Retrofriction down tubers.

Simplex seatpost

Turbo saddle

NO PEDALS unless you want a pair of MKS Tourers with Christophe clips, no straps. (I will include these at no add'l charge.)

Brakes are Mavic cantilvers, non-touring length and I will add at least most of a wheel's worth of Mavic Tandem Model cantis -- I think I lost a spring. Matthauser pads. Note: I cannot make these brakes work like modern brakes but they are in no way defective.

Tektro aero levers.

Stronglight headset.

French 9 cm stem

Beleri rando bars, I think they are 39/42 or so -- feel perfect to me.

Sanyo bb dynamo

IQ Fly headlamp

Soubitez dynamo tail lamp with extra bulbs.

VO rubber chain-slap protector (the stay has brazed on mounts for such a protector).

Stronglight 99 crankset, 42/46 double.

BB assembly is a Taiwanese (I think) non-thread type (the bb shell is not threaded) and sized for a double. I will add two more of these, NOS. VO makes a bb bearing assembly that will fit, and I know at least one LBS that carries such assemblies.

Overall the bike is very good. No scratches -- the PC is new -- and all bearings very smooth. BB generator is NOS.

Lastly, I will include a matching set of Old School (= old; made from cotton canvas and leather trim) Lafuma bags including a medium sized bar bag that, with the two-story rack, mounts very nicely to the bar with straps, and a rather hacked up but still very usable and very nice looking pair of matchig, smallish rear panniers. I hacked these so that each straps separately to the rack; originally they sort of draped -- they work better now.

Might, just might consider in part trade a nice, steel, classic road bike like a RB-1 in a 57 or 58 in vg condition.

--
Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM

PATRICK MOORE

Dec 16, 2011, 6:41:46 PM12/16/11
to internet-bob, rbw-owners-bunch
Dammit, forgot to add: Lefol hammered fenders.

Philip Williamson

Dec 17, 2011, 1:18:35 PM12/17/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm sad that you're not one of us who obsessively photographs every
object you cast your eyes upon.
It's not like you need pictures to sell a Herse for $2500, I'd just
like to see it before it's gone!

With the 2CV, if you could! :^)
Philip

Philip Williamson

Dec 17, 2011, 3:01:37 PM12/17/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
fyp

http://www.biketinker.com/2011/fine-bikes/1958-rene-herse-for-sale/
I got a little carried away cleaning up the only photo I could find
for it. :^)

It's probably already sold, but it was fun puttering around with the
picture, and I figured out an easy way to remove garage door handles
from photographs.

Philip

Philip Williamson
www.biketinker.com

PATRICK MOORE

Dec 17, 2011, 3:07:27 PM12/17/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Phil -- Very kind of you to post the admittedly horrible photo and clean it up. Here be new and better photos. Damn' nice looking, if I may say so myself -- but frankly, I think I'd prefer a nice, '70s/early '80s-style "racing" bike with higher trail.

Tho' it does fit perfectly ....

> Patrick Moore, ACRWhttp://resumespecialties.com/index.html

PATRICK MOORE

Dec 17, 2011, 3:08:23 PM12/17/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Damn' itchy trigger finger: **Here** be photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/BERTIN753/1958HERSE#

PATRICK MOORE

Dec 17, 2011, 3:55:01 PM12/17/11
to internet-bob, rbw-owners-bunch
The link ought to work now. Again:

https://picasaweb.google.com/BERTIN753/1958HERSE

1. I put black tape on the rear carrier to accomodate my Ortliebs.
2. The pump, an old Zefal, comes with the bike -- it is in vg condition and fits perfectly.
3. The Turbo is a bit scratched on top -- garage door incident -- but not gouged: cosmetic only, and lightly at that.
4. Cyro R or Fly, your preference.
5. The wiring is a bit bodged; the buyer may want to replace it again starting from scratch. It works fine, though.
6. There is a bit of a raised nub where the modifying builder ground off the tt-mounted shift lever boss for the shifter that actuated the no longer available left seatstay-mounted bottle dynamo. You can't see it very easily.

Tom Hayes
Chagrin Falls, Ohio

Philip Williamson

Dec 17, 2011, 10:25:36 PM12/17/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bueno! Ahhh. All better. That's an aspirational bike.
Someone on G+ was trying to ID your derailleurs, but that kind of juju
is way over my head.

Philip (listening to Sean Hayes on youtube) Williamson

On Dec 17, 12:55 pm, PATRICK MOORE <bertin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The link ought to work now. Again:
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/BERTIN753/1958HERSE
>

> >> 1. I put black tape on the rear carrier to accomodate my Ortliebs.
> >> 2. The pump, an old Zefal, comes with the bike -- it is in vg condition
> >> and fits perfectly.
> >> 3. The Turbo is a bit scratched on top -- garage door incident -- but not
> >> gouged: cosmetic only, and lightly at that.
> >> 4. Cyro R or Fly, your preference.
> >> 5. The wiring is a bit bodged; the buyer may want to replace it again
> >> starting from scratch. It works fine, though.
> >> 6. There is a bit of a raised nub where the modifying builder ground off
> >> the tt-mounted shift lever boss for the shifter that actuated the no longer
> >> available left seatstay-mounted bottle dynamo. You can't see it very easily.

rob markwardt

Dec 18, 2011, 1:28:24 AM12/18/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Very cool bike. Any idea about the rational for the double layer
front rack? Can you fit "stuff" on the bottom layer?

Esteban

Dec 18, 2011, 1:35:53 AM12/18/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's nice. Same year and color of my house.

Esteban
San Diego, Calif.