Fwd: Supporting freedesktop icon themes in Qt5

Jerome Leclanche

May 9, 2012, 8:56:25 PM5/9/12
to razo...@googlegroups.com
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jerome Leclanche <ady...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, May 10, 2012 at 1:55 AM
Subject: Supporting freedesktop icon themes in Qt5
To: devel...@qt-project.org

Morning

Qt currently does not properly support icon themes on Linux. This is a big issue here for Razor [1] as we're a non-KDE-based DE trying to use pure Qt. QIcon::fromTheme has some heuristics for KDE and Gnome, but other DEs are not supported. [2]
We'd like to get this fixed for Qt5.0. My first attempt at getting it fixed was through a proposal for icon theme configuration, which was (rightly) rejected by the GTK team. After talking with them, they explained how they use xsettings for it [3] -- kde has a kde-xsettings plugin which implements xsettings on KDE too, so that could theoretically be used there too. However it also means Qt is going to need an xsettings backend.

I linked a discussion post about it on #qt-labs yesterday, log below:
<girishr_> Adys: sounds acceptable to me. we only don't allow api changes at this point
<girishr_> Adys: any fixes to make desktop integration better are welcome
<Adys> girishr_: it would be an internal change, but depending on how big xsettings support would have to be, it'd be a large changeset
<girishr_> Adys: i don't think we had xsettings in qt, so i think the post is correct that Qt needs to have an implementation of that first
<girishr_> Adys: it affects only xcb plugin, so shouldn't be a problem
<girishr_> Adys: sroedal is the xcb maintainer afaik

I'm not qualified to work on something like this, and the rest of the Razor team isn't too available currently, so this is mostly a FYI post. I was really hopeful to have this issue fixed for Qt 5.0, so if someone wants to or is planning to work on it I'd love to know.

J. Leclanche