What's with the pyc files?

Tim Akinbo

Aug 15, 2010, 5:23:58 PM8/15/10
to RapidSMS
So I noticed that each time I installed RapidSMS via pip install rapidsms, I got this warning about not been able to copy some pyc files. Secondly, after doing a rapidsms-admin.py startproject, it also copied some .pyc files which is not clean (IMO) so I wrote a small patch for this just in case it might be important or good enough to be included in the core.

Tim Akinbo
pyc-fix.patch

Tobias McNulty

Aug 15, 2010, 6:00:04 PM8/15/10
to rapi...@googlegroups.com
That sounds like a good change.

I think you have a stray submodule change in the patch.. I assume that's an accident?

Tobias

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Tim Akinbo <tak...@gmail.com> wrote:
So I noticed that each time I installed RapidSMS via pip install rapidsms, I got this warning about not been able to copy some pyc files. Secondly, after doing a rapidsms-admin.py startproject, it also copied some .pyc files which is not clean (IMO) so I wrote a small patch for this just in case it might be important or good enough to be included in the core.

Tim Akinbo

Tobias McNulty
Caktus Consulting Group, LLC
P.O. Box 1454
Carrboro, NC 27510
USA: +1 (919) 951-0052
http://www.caktusgroup.com

Tim Akinbo

Aug 16, 2010, 12:57:37 AM8/16/10
to rapi...@googlegroups.com
Yes that was. Please ignore.

On 8/15/10, Tobias McNulty <tob...@caktusgroup.com> wrote:
> That sounds like a good change.
>
> I think you have a stray submodule change in the patch.. I assume that's an
> accident?
>
> Tobias
>
> On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Tim Akinbo <tak...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So I noticed that each time I installed RapidSMS via pip install rapidsms,
>> I got this warning about not been able to copy some pyc files. Secondly,
>> after doing a rapidsms-admin.py startproject, it also copied some .pyc
>> files
>> which is not clean (IMO) so I wrote a small patch for this just in case it
>> might be important or good enough to be included in the core.
>>
>> Tim Akinbo
>>
>> --

>> rapidsms+u...@googlegroups.com<rapidsms%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

>> .
>> For more options, visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/rapidsms?hl=en.
>>

> --
> Tobias McNulty
> Caktus Consulting Group, LLC
> P.O. Box 1454
> Carrboro, NC 27510
> USA: +1 (919) 951-0052
> http://www.caktusgroup.com
>
> --

Tim Akinbo

Adam Mckaig

Aug 16, 2010, 11:15:21 AM8/16/10
to rapi...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Tim Akinbo <tak...@gmail.com> wrote:

i continue to be shocked and amazed by the bad joke which is python
packaging. are *.pyc files really not excluded by default? jesus
christ.

i'm not sure what those *.pyc files are doing in your skeleton dir;
they're not in the repo. but it's definitely a good idea to explicitly
exclude them.

thanks very much for the patch, tim. i just pushed it:
http://github.com/rapidsms/rapidsms-core-dev/commit/be76a1e

</adam>

Tim Akinbo

Aug 16, 2010, 11:45:28 AM8/16/10
to rapi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adam,

So I thought and yes they are not in the repo but somehow, during installation, it appears setuptools caches the source files (which I agree is a good thing) but unfortunately, this also happens in the skeleton directory which gets copied into the new project.

Tim Akinbo