World map

Excell

Jan 14, 2011, 1:24:33 AM1/14/11
to Raphaël
Morning all

I probably have a cheek in asking this

Has anyone created a world map that is clickable.

If so is there any chance I could see the code

If not is there an easy way to plot the point of a world map?

Sorry if this is a little rude just trying to save some time on an
idea i am looking into.

Many thanks

Roger [Excell]

Jeremy Arca

Jan 14, 2011, 3:30:56 AM1/14/11
to raph...@googlegroups.com
find an svg map on the wiki maps site and just import it.

Excell

Jan 14, 2011, 5:41:11 AM1/14/11
to Raphaël
Thanks for the reply,
Sorry for my ignorance will i be able to edit that and make area ie
countries clickable etc?

On Jan 14, 8:30 am, Jeremy Arca <jmamo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> find an svg map on the wiki maps site and just import it.
>
> 2011/1/13 Excell <ro...@barrettinteriors.co.uk>
>
> > Morning all
>
> > I probably have a cheek in asking this
>
> > Has anyone created a world map that is clickable.
>
> > If so is there any chance I could see the code
>
> > If not is there an easy way to plot the point of a world map?
>
> > Sorry if this is a little rude just trying to save some time on an
> > idea i am looking into.
>
> > Many thanks
>
> > Roger [Excell]
>
> > --
> > .

Jeremy

Jan 14, 2011, 1:21:28 PM1/14/11
to raph...@googlegroups.com
Yes see the API doc for svg an also irunmywebsite.com ... Charles has some examples

Nick Sewell

Jan 14, 2011, 2:10:25 AM1/14/11
to raph...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roger,

Dmitry has made this example, a map of Australia that you can mouse over
to see facts on regions.

http://raphaeljs.com/australia.html

You may be able to convert an SVG map of the world in a similar way.
Bear in mind that all 192/195 countries may clutter a map. You may want
to just select continents, and then select from a list of countries
(Many companies with international websites do this).

You might want to use this file
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Continents.svg

Igor Brejc

Jan 14, 2011, 2:39:58 PM1/14/11
to Raphaël
I'm working on a mapping library using Raphael.
Here's a current prototype sample: http://beta1234.com.sunflower.arvixe.com/geosomnia/

It's not yet a world map and it's not yet clickable (well at least not
out of the box), but will be soon.

Igor

John Emerson

Jan 20, 2011, 1:12:34 PM1/20/11
to Raphaël

Apologies if this appears twice. I tried to post it yesterday but
didn't see it come through the group archive.

I've just started working with Raphaël and made a quick world map
based on the Australia example. You can check it out at:
http://backspace.com/mapapp/javascript_world/

And you can download the files at:
http://backspace.com/mapapp/javascript_world/javascript_world.zip

Enjoy!

- John

John Emerson

Jan 19, 2011, 11:48:23 AM1/19/11
to Raphaël

I've just started toying with Raphaël and put together a world map
based on the Australia example.

You can see it in action at:
http://backspace.com/mapapp/javascript_world/

It's not every tiny island in the world and the country borders are
fairly generalized to keep the filesize down, but this should get you
started.

You can download the files from:

chris

Jan 17, 2011, 1:46:14 PM1/17/11
to Raphaël
Hello,
i've managed to get a raphael US map with plottable lat/lng and
mouseover labels. i've pushed the project up here: https://github.com/the55/usmap

check out the demo page: http://the55.net/_11/sketch/us_map

feedback welcome,

John Emerson

Jan 22, 2011, 11:39:07 PM1/22/11
to Raphaël

Nicely done! I've added lat/long points to my world map as well:
http://backspace.com/mapapp/javascript_world/

charles thomas

Jan 23, 2011, 6:08:52 AM1/23/11
to raph...@googlegroups.com
John
I put it on the Additional Resources page.
I hope this gets more exposure.
Charles
http://www.irunmywebsite.com/

Jan 24, 2011, 6:23:15 PM1/24/11
to raph...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

All of this looks very awesome =).

I'm looking at doing something similar, but for a map of a building, and then superimposing some numbers on top, and fill effects, etc.

I'm just curious though - I saw the path definitions for the world map (http://backspace.com/mapapp/javascript_world/world.js). Surely somebody didn't sit down and hack that out? Lol. Did they convert it from something? Use an editor? And if so, what do people use to generate/edit these complex paths for Raphael?

Cheers,
Victor

Jeremy Arca

Jan 24, 2011, 10:07:49 PM1/24/11
to raph...@googlegroups.com
Victor,

You can use applications like inkscape to draw out things and that is exported into paths...which can be used in raphael.

Dmitry Baranovskiy

Jan 24, 2011, 10:51:43 PM1/24/11
to Raphaël
This is great! Can I use your data?

Excell

Jan 24, 2011, 11:11:33 PM1/24/11
to Raphaël
Sorry for the delay in the reply been a little tied up

That is perfect, even better than I thought it would look

very impressive

Roger

John Emerson

Jan 25, 2011, 10:00:12 PM1/25/11
to Raphaël

Here's the process I used:

- I manipulated the world map shapefile data in ArcGIS and made each
state its own layer
- I exported this to Adobe Illustrator and did some minor cleanup
- From Illustrator, I exported the file as SVG 1.1
- I ran a perl script to convert the SVG XML data to the path format
that Raphaël likes.

For this last step, you can also use http://toki-woki.net/p/SVG2RaphaelJS/
which also did a good job of converting the Illustrator SVG XML format
to Raphaél paths. This was the inspiration for my script.

I hope that helps!

- John

John Emerson

Jan 25, 2011, 10:01:23 PM1/25/11
to Raphaël

On Jan 24, 10:51 pm, Dmitry Baranovskiy <dmitry.baranovs...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> This is great! Can I use your data?

Certainly! I will likely post it under the MIT license as well.

Enjoy1

- John

Felix K.

Jan 31, 2011, 6:44:50 AM1/31/11
to Raphaël
Wow, it looks really great!

I'm not sure, but I think there is a problem with the map in IE7. Can
anyone else confirm this?

Regards,

Felix K

johnleaf

Jan 31, 2011, 1:22:05 PM1/31/11
to Raphaël
hey- I was wondering how to do this myself- can any of you recommend a
tutorial or a book for dealing with vector graphics?

many thanks
john

On Jan 26, 3:00 am, John Emerson <derec...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's the process I used:
>
> - I manipulated the worldmapshapefile data in ArcGIS and made each
> state its own layer
> - I exported this to Adobe Illustrator and did some minor cleanup
> - From Illustrator, I exported the file as SVG 1.1
> - I ran a perl script to convert the SVG XML data to the path format
> that Raphaël likes.
>
> For this last step, you can also usehttp://toki-woki.net/p/SVG2RaphaelJS/
> which also did a good job of converting the Illustrator SVG XML format
> to Raphaél paths. This was the inspiration for my script.
>
> I hope that helps!
>
> -   John
>
> On Jan 24, 6:23 pm, Victor Hooi <victorh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
>
> > All of this looks very awesome =).
>
> > I'm looking at doing something similar, but for amapof a building, and
> > then superimposing some numbers on top, and fill effects, etc.
>
> > I'm just curious though - I saw the path definitions for the worldmap(http://backspace.com/mapapp/javascript_world/world.js). Surely somebody

John Emerson

Feb 1, 2011, 3:45:47 PM2/1/11
to Raphaël

Hi Felix,

The world map works for me in IE6, 7, and 8.

What sort of trouble are you seeing?

- John

On Jan 31, 6:44 am, "Felix K." <felix.kj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow, it looks really great!
>
> I'm not sure, but I think there is a problem with the map in IE7. Can
> anyone else confirm this?
>
> Regards,
>
> Felix K

Felix K.

Apr 1, 2011, 10:40:39 AM4/1/11
to Raphaël
Sorry, a very late answer, but for the record:

The IE7-mode in IE9 broke it. Works in IE9 now.

Felix