None of the demos working IE8

Mike McDaid

Jun 15, 2010, 4:59:45 PM6/15/10
to Raphaël
Have no idea why, but if I visit the demos on the raphael site using
IE8 they don't work. For example http://raphaeljs.com/analytics.html
produces a black page with the numbers across the top of the page.

I had experimented with the library in the past, and I find that older
versions of the library work in the same browser. Tried reseting IE to
all defaults and this has not solved the problem. Incidentally can
access the demos no problem on another computer, same operating
system, same browser. The only difference is possible installing
Internet Explore Platform preview has somehow change some setting,
this is just a hunch. Or maybe even chromeframe?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/
4.0; chromeframe; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET
CLR 1.1.4322; WWTClient2; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729)
Timestamp: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 20:52:01 UTC

Message: 'Raphael.el' is null or not an object
Line: 1
Char: 1
Code: 0
URI: http://raphaeljs.com/plugins/raphael.path.methods.js

Message: 'Raphael.fn' is null or not an object
Line: 1
Char: 1
Code: 0
URI: http://raphaeljs.com/analytics.js

bdadam

Jun 17, 2010, 5:29:04 AM6/17/10
to Raphaël
Hi Mike,

I think, you were visiting the site, when the raphael.js script was
not reachable due to server errors. I also experienced this probelm a
day or two ago. Just press Ctr+F5 on the page, and it will go. Or at
least now it seams to be OK.
Bye

Adam

On jún. 15, 22:59, Mike McDaid <mcdai...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Have no idea why, but if I visit the demos on the raphael site using
> IE8 they don't work. For examplehttp://raphaeljs.com/analytics.html

Mike McDaid

Jun 17, 2010, 6:10:27 AM6/17/10
to Raphaël

Tried doing this and it is not the problem, and the js file is
definitely accessible.

Mike

Benedikt.Rothe

Jun 24, 2010, 6:04:32 AM6/24/10
to Raphaël
Maybe your IE-security-settings prohibit raphaelto work?
I think, scripting for secure ActiveX must be allowed.

The question "What security-settings must be made in IE for raphael?"
should be adressed in documentation. Is it?

Benedikt

dmitry.ba...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2010, 6:20:30 AM6/24/10
to Raphaël
As soon as JavaScript runs, Raphaël should work on IE. It doesn’t use
any ActiveX components, only native features.

On Jun 24, 8:04 pm, "Benedikt.Rothe" <benedikt.ro...@googlemail.com>

Mike McDaid

Jun 25, 2010, 1:44:50 PM6/25/10
to Raphaël
Investigated a bit more the problem today using the internet explorer
developer tool bar. I chose the rotation demo and opened up the script
console. The errors reported are Object expected, so I decided to test
for the global Raphael in the console. This object is missing, to make
sure it was nothing to do with the servers I saved the page to my
desktop. The files downloaded included raphael.js, running locally
produces the same problem.

Next I downloaded an older version from
http://github.com/DmitryBaranovskiy/raphael/blob/1.0/raphael.js

Now if I replace the downloaded javascript file with the older github
file everything works fine. For example if I try alert(Raphael) in the
developer console I get the message "Your browser doesn't support
SVG ........... You are running Raphael1.0"

It seems whatever is causing this has something to do with changes
made since Raphael1.0, I have no idea why they are effecting my
computer/browser while others are not affected.

Hopefully this can help in solving the problem.

ndn

Jun 25, 2010, 3:00:37 PM6/25/10
to Raphaël
What (if any) add-ons do you have for IE?

BruceM

Jun 26, 2010, 5:36:14 PM6/26/10
to Raphaël
Not sure if this will help in the "discovery process",,, all Raphael
requests work fine on a standard default installation of IE8, under
Vista... no add-ons of any type...

Mike McDaid

Jul 1, 2010, 11:56:38 AM7/1/10
to Raphaël
Well to answer the questions about add ons, I have run IE in a mode
that disables all add ons and Raphael does not work. As I have said
before, I can get previous versions of Raphael to work on my IE (with
or without addons), which would suggest there is some problem with the
current Raphael code.

I like the library, but since it is not working on my computer set up,
I have to suspect that it fails on other peoples. With this in mind I
have turned my attention to exCanvas and have not seen any issues so
far.

Thanks for all who have tried to help.

DOH

Jul 1, 2010, 3:21:44 PM7/1/10
to Raphaël
Hi Mike

I suspect you have disabled active scripting in the internet zone.
This would produce the effect you describe for the website, but still
allow full functionality for the local files. Maybe you inactivated
Javascript when advised due to a recent IE vulnerability. All you need
do in IE's Internet Options is in the security Tab click on the "Reset
all zones to default level" button. Hope this helps and restores your
confidence in the exceptional Raphaeljs library as well as its
functionality.

Regards DOH

Ed Davies

Jul 2, 2010, 2:25:11 PM7/2/10
to Raphaël
DOH,

Mike did say:

> This object is missing, to make
> sure it was nothing to do with the servers I saved the page to my
> desktop. The files downloaded included raphael.js, running locally
> produces the same problem.
>
> Next I downloaded an older version from
> http://github.com/DmitryBaranovskiy/raphael/blob/1.0/raphael.js
>
> Now if I replace the downloaded javascript file with the older github
> file everything works fine.

so it seems there's more to it than what you suggest.

DOH

Jul 2, 2010, 3:24:48 PM7/2/10
to Raphaël
Would be nice to know whether he has disabled active scripting. Hope
he is still reading this. It seems odd that he is reporting this
'fault' on only one computer.

I take your comments, but the problem could still appear to arise if
the raphaeljs files referenced were different. There is a full version
and an obfuscated version of raphaeljs, not sure how the versions at
github and on the website compare, or whether after downloading the
page where the code might be looking for the raphaeljs is still at the
website, in which case there could still be a problem of disabled
active scripting in the internet zone.

On Jul 2, 7:25 pm, Ed Davies <ggl.rtq.0...@edavies.nildram.co.uk>

Mike McDaid

Jul 4, 2010, 5:24:20 AM7/4/10
to Raphaël
Thanks DOH for your advice, but I can confirm that this is not the
case.

This web site

http://www.irunmywebsite.com/raphael/animo_sprite3_settimeout.html

works fine in my internet explorer, it is using Raphael 0.8.6. This is
why I suspect that part of the problem is the current version of
Raphael. In the latest version, the Rapahel object does not exist, but
it is difficult to find out why because no error is fired when trying
to create this object.

Mike

DOH

Jul 4, 2010, 7:40:41 AM7/4/10
to Raphaël
Well its all very strange. Still suspect it is something to do with
your M$ IE on that computer, as you have no problems on another
computer running IE. You appear to be the first reporting any
problem.

I have a website with a booking calendar I am developing which runs in
IE with no problems using the previous and current version of
Raphaeljs (1.4.4). I believe sometimes ISPs (as well as your IE) can
cache webpages, so maybe if you visit a page which you haven't
previously visited running the latest version of Raphaeljs all will be
fine. Please try my website at http://www.teachernow.co.uk/Pages/Calendar.html
remember it is still in development. It shows my current bookings in
red and will when finished hopefully will allow booking requests to be
made on the free days.

DOH

Lineplus

Jul 3, 2010, 9:47:18 AM7/3/10
to Raphaël
Hello,
With IE9, Raphaël runs in SVG or VML?

dmitry.ba...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2010, 7:01:32 PM7/4/10
to Raphaël
In SVG, of course.

luc

Jul 5, 2010, 1:07:26 AM7/5/10
to Raphaël
Hello,

I have a similar issue with IE8. I have a quite standard install of IE
(I am just using it for testing purpose)

I succeed to use raphael and IE by patching the raphael code. See
http://github.com/DmitryBaranovskiy/raphael/issues#issue/158

Maybe it can help you to understand the cause of the problem.

Best regards
luc

On 15 juin, 22:59, Mike McDaid <mcdai...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Have no idea why, but if I visit the demos on the raphael site using
> IE8 they don't work. For examplehttp://raphaeljs.com/analytics.html

Mike McDaid

Jul 5, 2010, 5:23:31 AM7/5/10
to Raphaël
Tried your page and the usual error appears Object expected, this
happens at line 350

var paper = new Raphael(document.getElementById('canvas_container'),
canvas_width, canvas_height);

Mike

Mike McDaid

Jul 5, 2010, 7:07:00 AM7/5/10
to Raphaël
Thanks luc for that link.

You are absolutely correct commenting out the code makes the library
work again. The lines of code are now at line 75 for Raphael 1.4.3, I
added a couple of alert statements to the code to investigate

if (R.type == "VML") {

var d = doc.createElement("div");

d.innerHTML = '<!--[if vml]><br><br><![endif]-->';
alert(d.innerHTML=="");
alert(d.childNodes.length);
if (d.childNodes[length] != 2) {

return R.type = null;
}
d = null;
}

Now I ran the code on my laptop (that has the problem) and a desktop
computer. Both computers are running windows vista and internet
explorer 8.0.6001.18928. On the laptop the first alert statement is
true and the second is zero. On the desktop the first alert is false
and the second alert gives 2.

I decided to change the statement to

d.innerHTML = '<!--[if IE]><br><br><![endif]-->';

Now in this case the d.childNodes.length returns 2, so the issue is
the conditional comment [if vml]. I also created a quick web page to
see if this also happens with normal inline code.

<head>

<script type="text/javascript">

window.onload=function(){
var vmlTest=document.getElementById("vmlTest").childNodes.length;
var ieTest=document.getElementById("IETest").childNodes.length;

alert("vml="+vmlTest+" ie="+ieTest);
};

</script>
</head>
<!--[if VML]><br><br><![endif]-->
<!--[if IE]><br><br><![endif]-->

Now on my laptop the alert produces "vml=0 ie=2", but on the desktop
"vml=2 ie=2", which confirms for whatever reason the conditional
statement <!--[if vml]><![endif]--> is to blame. I suggest that this
code is changed in the library, as I would expect this is affecting
more my laptop.

Mike McDaid

Jul 7, 2010, 6:24:43 AM7/7/10
to Raphaël
It would be anyone maintaining the library could comment on this
issue.

charles thomas

Jul 7, 2010, 9:34:49 AM7/7/10
to raph...@googlegroups.com
Using a configuration at work IE6 (Soon to be unsupported by Microsoft), all I tried are working.

Mike McDaid

Jul 18, 2010, 1:30:43 PM7/18/10
to Raphaël
I see the new version 1.4.7 has removed the offending code that caused
the problem. The examples now work in IE8 on my computer which is
good, as I think it a good library.

My current project will continue to use excanvas as I have already
invested too much time, but certain aspects do certainly suit SVG/VML
over canvas.

I would recommend sites to upgrade to the new version as I doubt my
configuration was unique.

DOH

Aug 16, 2012, 8:41:17 AM8/16/12
to raph...@googlegroups.com, mcda...@googlemail.com
Most of the examples on the Raphael website work fine on ie 8 for me - using XP.

Issues with: reflection.html
                  graffle.html (dragging circular shapes detach from links)
                  easing.html (tends to leave some bits on the screen)
                  gear.html ( connection line from centre not drawn)
                  world    (doesn't uodate city locations or show on the map)

were theses the problems you were referring to?

There are certainly other issues regarding ie8 some of which I have already highlighted recently in this group.

On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:29:23 AM UTC+1, malo wrote:
Hi Mike,
You configuration is not unique, I have the exact same problem with the version 2.1.0.
Raphael website doesn't work on ie 8, work fine on other browsers. Do you have any idea and do you still have the problem on your side ?
Thanks,

malo

Aug 24, 2012, 8:10:53 AM8/24/12
to raph...@googlegroups.com, mcda...@googlemail.com

Here is the configuration :

Internet Explorer 8 on Windows XP

Browser version (full)

8.0

Trident version

4.0

Operating system version

Windows NT 5.1

User agent string

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET4.0C; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

 'Raphael.el' is null or not an object

I must say i was connecting from a cyber cafe so it might be a security problem. But still, it would be nice to be able to either fix it or at least have a way to detect the problem and propose an alternative in case raphael doesn't work.
Thanks for your help.