Showers Pass Jackets

Bob the Wheelbuilder

Jan 7, 2011, 12:54:48 PM1/7/11
to ran...@googlegroups.com
I am considering buying one of the RUSA Showers Pass jackets. They're offering the Elite 2.0 and Double Century Jackets at a special price if you haven't heard: http://www.rusa.org/ShowersPassOffer2011/

I live in the desert, but end up riding in the rain a fair amount. I have a Gore "Windstopper" jacket that works pretty well for me, especially if I wear it for the entire ride, but I wish it were more compact when I have to store it in my handlebar bag. Its sleeves zip off to make a vest. I've tried to attach a couple of pictures (hope this works).

Gore Jacket.jpg
Jacket Volume.jpg

Kole Kantner

Jan 7, 2011, 1:43:00 PM1/7/11
to Bob the Wheelbuilder, ran...@googlegroups.com
Bob,

I just got the new Showers Pass Elite Pro jacket.  At 240g for size medium it is quite a bit lighter than the Showers Pass Elite 2.0 and packs much smaller.  I am certain it would fit in a quart ziploc.  The cut of the jacket is very similar to the Gore Tex Oxygen jacket, although I feel it is a bit heavier and bulkier and perhaps more durable. Showers Pass claims it is just as breathable as the eVent fabric in the Elite 2.0.  I find it very comfortable, but no more breathable for me than the Gore Tex Path II jacket I was using before.  That also weighed 240g and easily fit into a jersey pocket, but is shorter in the back than some other biking jackets like the Oxygen or Showers Pass Elite Pro. The Showers Pass Elite Pro feels a little more substantial than the Oxygen, but if both keep me equally dry and are durable I would go for less substantial for easier packing.

--Kole--

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Bob the Wheelbuilder <bob...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am considering buying one of the RUSA Showers Pass jackets.  They're offering the Elite 2.0 and Double Century Jackets at a special price if you haven't heard: http://www.rusa.org/ShowersPassOffer2011/

I live in the desert, but end up riding in the rain a fair amount.  I have a Gore "Windstopper" jacket that works pretty well for me, especially if I wear it for the entire ride, but I wish it were more compact when I have to store it in my handlebar bag.  Its sleeves zip off to make a vest.  I've tried to attach a couple of pictures (hope this works).

For reference, my Large Gore jacket weighs 14.3 ounces and doesn't quite fit in a quart Ziploc bag.  The stuffed jacket in the picture measures 8 1/2 inches long and has a circumference of 14 inches.

It sounds like the Elite 2.0 is about the same size and the Double Century may be more compact.  If this is the case, I'll probably use my current jacket for rides where I think I'll wear it for the entire ride and buy one of the Double Century jackets for rides where the jacket should mostly stay in my bag.  If the Elite passes the Ziploc test, I might get it instead.

Does anyone have similar measurements of their Showers Pass jackets?  I'd appreciate it if you would check to see if your jacket fits in a closed quart Ziploc bag.

Thanks
Bob

Bill Gobie

Jan 7, 2011, 3:48:38 PM1/7/11
to randon subscribers
I have a large Elite 2.0. 450 g. It sticks out of a quart bag more
than your Gore jacket, although I did not try stuffing it very hard.
It needs a 1.2 or 1.5 quart bag. One of these small or medium size
ditty sacks would fit it:

http://www.rei.com/product/780947

I have a waterproof Gore jacket, and I hate the small cuffs. I can't
get my hands through them with gloves on.

Hands down I would get the eVent Elite 2.0. It is amazingly
breathable. It breathes so well it is cold. Not because the wind comes
through, but because it transpires moisture so well. The Elite has
good ventilation options, and the inner material feels good on bare
skin. I haven't tried a Double Century so I don't know how that
material feels. Some breathable waterproof materials feel like sticky
rubber.

It seems to be ok to wash eVent with regular laundry detergent. Light
steam ironing rejuvenates the water-repellant surface, just like the
instructions claim. Goretex fares best with Techwash.

I like eVent so much I got an eVent rain jacket for hiking last summer.

Bill Gobie

Bob the Wheelbuilder

Jan 8, 2011, 12:29:14 PM1/8/11
to randon
Thanks for the answers. If I didn't have the Windstopper, I'd
probably an the Elite jacket, but since I'm looking for packability,
I'm getting a DC.

If the Elite Pro were offered on the RUSA deal, I would have
considered it.

Bob

Jim House

Jan 9, 2011, 10:27:14 AM1/9/11
to Bob the Wheelbuilder, randon
Bob,

What answers are you referring to???

I want to order and yesterday tried on a Showers Pass another rider was
using - I am 5' 10" and weigh 220 lbs and the Large is big on me...
I think I will order that size.

Thanks,

Jim

Bob

Dan Driscoll

Jan 9, 2011, 11:04:22 AM1/9/11
to Kole Kantner, ran...@googlegroups.com

I bought a Showers Pass Elite 2.0 before PBP 2007, because Pam did and I was very glad for that decision. Being from Texas we do not ride in the rain much, and when we do it is almost always to warm for a rain jacket of that caliber, I have only used my Showers Pass once, at PBP 2007, but I was thrilled I had it, and no regrets for spending the money. I do not claim to know much about riding in the rain or rain jackets, heck I do not even have fenders on my bike, but below are some thoughts.

The Showers Pass Elite 2.0 jacket is heavier than many rain jackets and the biggest downside it is very bulky, but on the plus side it has all the technical features that I demand in a rain jacket, if I will be using for an extended time during a long, cold, wet ride (not necessarily just as an emergency backup). The Showers Pass rain jacket has large diameter sleeves with Velcro straps at the wrists, and extra long pit zips which are very important to adjust  wind flow out the back air vent flap of the jacket to  regulate teetered and moisture.  It is possible to loosen the Velcro straps at the wrists and unzip the pit zips on while riding as you warm up after leaving a control. The front zipper, zips up from the bottom and down from the top, a must for me. The jacket has a tall comfortable collar, and a detachable hood, and an elastic drawstring at the waist, It also has a reflective strip on the arms. I think the fabric is great, extremely breathable, but to me less important than the features.

I plan to take this jacket to PBP this year, and if the forecast is for rain I will lug it to the cost and back. If others more knowable about riding in the rain know of a much lighter and less bulky rain jacket that has all the above features, I would be interested to know about it and possibly purchase one, in case the forecast does not include 100% rain, and I wanted to lug a less bulky jacket as opposed to my normal emergency plastic trash bag with precut holes for neck and arms. DD

Katie R

Jan 10, 2011, 1:18:10 PM1/10/11
to randon
Hi Bob

I needed to respond to your post because I am such a Shower's Pass
fan! I have 3 jackets, upgrading my Elite when the "new cut" came
out. FYI - the newer version has more forward shoulder seams so
there's less fabric by your armpits when you ride, certainly a nice
redesign until you try and wear it off the bike and it's
uncomfortable. (granted I only wear it off the bike when traveling to
and from events so its not a big deal). the cut is a bit more
generous and the fabric cuffs are in the new material (the previous
design's cuffs were a sort of neoprene and would get soaked in the
rain). I wear the elite 3 seasons of the year.

love the redesign. loved it so much I bought one for my husband.
he's anti-riding in the rain but now he will because the jackets
performs so well.

i have the double century for summer riding. the fabric of the double
century is much lighter and packs down much smaller size. the
waterproofing is just as fantastic but the design is less vented
therefore if you are overdressed underneath you are going to perspire
more than you will on the elite (its not a sweat factory it is just
less breezy than the elite). it doesn't have the rubbery feel that
bill mentions below.

I turn the jackets inside out on themselves and stuff them backwards
into their own rear pocket. i checked and my double century fits into
a freezer quart sized bag (I'm assuming it is 1.5 quart size) the
elite will not. I don't use the bags as I usually am either wearing
them or turn them inside out.

both are worth more their weight in gold. I'm a huge fan.

Katie

Bill Gobie

Jan 11, 2011, 12:52:27 PM1/11/11
to randon subscribers
I just ran across these measurements of some commercial waterproof
breathable fabrics. eVent is clearly superior.

http://www.shelby.fi/tips/breathability.pdf

Bill Gobie

Donald Perley

Jan 11, 2011, 1:21:55 PM1/11/11
to Bill Gobie, randon subscribers
There are other considerations. Most of my experience with
waterproof/breathable fabrics other than Goretex have resulted in
failure after a couple of years. IN a couple of cases the membrane
just disintegrated and ended up an a pile of bits around the bottom
hem of the jacket.

I don't know if it applies to all their fabrics, but my Goretex
drysuit has a "life of the garment" warranty from Gore. In practice
that means if it gets a leak, Gore will pay the manufacturer to repair
it. In one case I know where the manufacturer went out of business,
Gore replaced it with a new suit of a different (more expensive)
brand.

That isn't to say that another brand couldn't be durable (my ex had
good luck a Helly Henson parka), but after being burned a couple of
times I'd want to see a history of success before I go there.

Bill Gobie

Jan 11, 2011, 2:33:38 PM1/11/11
to randon subscribers
Good points considering how expensive rain gear can be. In the
specific case of Showers Pass, their warranty has no time limit.

http://www.showerspass.com/warranty-information

Bill Gobie

Jim House

Jan 11, 2011, 5:33:53 PM1/11/11
to Donald Perley, Bill Gobie, randon subscribers
Bill,

As you mentioned Helly Henson makes great stuff - too bad that the US has an
embargo that keeps most of this companies fine items out of our country.
Helly uses Sympatex - this material was developed and owned under the Akzo
Nobel companys.
So if you know and like old German technology then you KNOW this stuff is
great.

Jim House
Maumee, OH

Jan 13, 2011, 12:47:35 PM1/13/11
to randon
Many outdoor companies will just replace stuff, no questions asked. I wore my North Face Goretex jacket every day for 7 years while I lived in San Francisco and I sent it in for repair of the inner mesh lining and they just replaced the jacket. My daughter's Patagonia fleece zipper broke after wearing it for 2 years and they gave her a brand new one sized up for her to grow into.

Showers Pass may not be rich enough or big enough to have this level of support, but for companies like North Face and Patagonia it is part of their brand loyalty--they have mine for life, and it's part of their pricing power--I am willing to pay more for an item that they will support like this...

I would be interested to hear the level of support offered by Showers Pass. If they stand behind their products and have modest charges for repairs, then I probably will buy one or more of their jackets (the Double Century and Elite pro with E-vent sound good to me...)

Best,
Toshi

Vik Banerjee

Jan 13, 2011, 7:47:23 PM1/13/11
to Susan Otcenas, randon subscribers
In my experience the first thing to fail on a rain jacket is the DWR coating that keeps water beading. Once that's stopped working the fabric gets saturated and it doesn't breathe well. There are aftermarket treatments you can reapply, but none that I've found work as well as the OEM coating from the factory.

I tend to prioritize my rain gear from new as it ages using the best for the most critical tasks and as they get old downgrading them to less important missions.

I'm after some new rain gear and contemplating the SP Elite jacket and the MEC Derecho jacket. The later fits me better and has loads of venting, but isn't as proven a performer.

safe riding,

Vik

Susan Otcenas

Jan 14, 2011, 10:48:20 AM1/14/11
to Vik Banerjee, randon subscribers

>>In my experience the first thing to fail on a rain jacket is the DWR
coating that keeps water beading. Once that's stopped working the
fabric gets saturated and it doesn't breathe well. There are aftermarket
treatments you can reapply, but none that I've found work as well as the
OEM coating from the factory.

That's because DWR is electrostatic. It needs heat to re-activate it.
The Showers Pass Jacket (and most gore jackets, etc.) all have some type
of DWR treatment as well. The reason SP tells you to IRON your eVent
jacket (and the reason Gore recommends you machine-dry your Gore
outerwear) is to re-charge the DWR.

Most people are scared to machine-dry their outerwear, but if you check
the care instructions, it usually tells you its OK. And, in fact, you
will get much better performance out of the garment if you do it.

I always machine dry my Gore outerwear. (And, I sell this stuff for a
living, BTW.)

Susan

Susan Otcenas
Team Estrogen, Inc.
www.TeamEstrogen.com
877-310-4592
Follow our TE fan page on Facebook!
Look for "teamestrogen.com"

Jan 14, 2011, 10:58:23 AM1/14/11
to Susan Otcenas, randon subscribers
The DWR can be reactivated as you suggest for a while, but after enough use it's literally worn off the jacket and you need to use an aftermarket treatment to get some level of DWR action again. Making longer lasting DWR OEM coatings will be a great benefit as the jacket fabrics/membranes now last so much longer than the DWR that the DWR is the weakest link in the design.

safe riding,

Vik

Susan Otcenas

Jan 14, 2011, 2:06:24 PM1/14/11
to randon subscribers
Gore's washing instructions can be found here:
http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satellite/content/care-center/washing-ins
tructions

I've had an email exchange this morning with my Gore rep regarding
washing and dwr treatments. As referenced on the Gore website, she
reiterated the recommendation to use only spray-on (not wash-in) dwr
treatments once your DWR treatment begins to become less effective
(typically after 20-25 wash/dry cycles), such as NikWax. Wash-ins can
clog the membranes, reducing the breathability and MVTR (moisture vapor
transfer rate) of the membrane. A spray on only affects the shell
material and will not reduce the MVTR of the membrance.

You'll know your DWR needs refreshing when, even after a wash/dry cycle,
the water no longer beads up on the surface of the garment.

Bill Gobie

Jan 14, 2011, 4:06:56 PM1/14/11
to randon subscribers
Spray-ons make such a mess! Does washing unclog the pores if one has
used wash-in DWR?

Bill Gobie

Vik Banerjee

Jan 15, 2011, 11:25:59 AM1/15/11
to Susan Otcenas, randon subscribers
Good tip. I've never used the wash treatments for that reason.

safe riding,

Vik

Richard.McCaw

Jan 16, 2011, 12:42:05 PM1/16/11
to Susan Otcenas, randon subscribers
Susan -- you are correct about being careful not to clog material membranes
when washing or doing dwr treatment. However the SP Elite jacket uses eVENT
material and the NIKWAX Direct washin product is the only one labeled for
eVENT material.
http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=3&activityi
d=-1&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1
I had water repellency problems with my SP jacket and in 2008 and contacted
the company. The new owners weren't aware of NIKWAX's recommendations.
However their website now recommends the correct version. But you have to be
extremely careful when using the NIWAX Direct washin Products or you will
clog the material membranes. That happened to me. I am not sure of the best
washing method but would suggest only in these new front loading washing
machines and do 2-3 jackets at the same time (I think less chance of
treatment being absorbed inside jacket and less NIWAX product required (it's
expensive). Somehow you should seal the open ends of the sleeves and other
openings. Someone must have figured out a method that works but I was
disappointed that SP personnel didn't have one. The NIWAX Tech wash products
does a great job cleaning jackets but the correct method for waterproofing
only on the outside of eVENT material is a challenge.

Richard McCaw
richar...@sbcglobal.net
Cell: 408-838-9863
Home: 408-448-2899
LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/mccaw

I just ordered the Elite 2.0 from biketiresdirect for $183, free
shipping, no tax.
http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/showers-pass-elite-20-jacket

On Jan 7, 10:54 am, Bob the Wheelbuilder <bob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am considering buying one of the RUSA Showers Pass jackets.  They're offering the Elite 2.0 and Double Century Jackets at a special price if you haven't heard:http://www.rusa.org/ShowersPassOffer2011/
>
> I live in the desert, but end up riding in the rain a fair amount.  I have a Gore "Windstopper" jacket that works pretty well for me, especially if I wear it for the entire ride, but I wish it were more compact when I have to store it in my handlebar bag.  Its sleeves zip off to make a vest.  I've tried to attach a couple of pictures (hope this works).
>
>  Gore Jacket.jpg
> 93KViewDownload
>

>  Jacket Volume.jpg
> 103KViewDownload

Jim House

Jan 25, 2011, 8:10:59 PM1/25/11
to TTW, randon
Too bad for you...
NO RUSA LOGOS ALL OVER YOUR Shower Pass!
And you could have all that for just $17 more - and no shipping charges...