I am glad this resolved your issue.
I know you can use any of the Garmin Front End applications to upload your
maps and routes.
It was my understanding that Base Camp was driven towards backpacking/off
road riding and to be used with the Garmin TOPO map sets.
And that Map Source was for use with the Garmin road base map sets.
I do not know if the two front ends transfer to your device in different
methods but this could have been part of your original issue.
I only purchase the Garmin road maps in the DVD format - in that way you can
download all maps to your PC and do your routing on the PC and transfer to
your Garmin devices.
In the past you could transfer one map set to up to three Garmin devices - I
think this has changed.
My older versions of USA and Europe maps let me download to many Garmin
Devices - but the newest will only let me pick one device to mate the map
set to that ONE selected device.
Have you tried Map Source?
I also use another Garmin front end - Training Center to store and save all
trips taken with my Garmin Edge 705 (used on the bike). I have never used
the upload function from this application to transfer anything back to the
I have only used Base Camp with by back country Garmin Etrex Vista C - and
the Garmin topo base maps for the USA and the three National Parks topo map
sets that I have purchased for back country access.
I have loaded some of the topo map sets to the Edge just to mess around but
never used the topo map set for a rondo event.
Topo maps can be loaded to any device without mating the map set to a
Has anyone out there have knowledge between these front ends and if they use
different methods to upload to the Garmin devices?
From: email@example.com [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org] On Behalf Of
Jan Peter Dembinski
Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2012 1:04 PM
Cc: 'Jan Peter Dembinski'
Subject: Re: [Randon] Another Garmin problem
Scott and Jim,
Thanks for your help! Following your advice I was able to delete the
temporary saved files in the GPX folder without deleting downloaded North
American Maps. (One can do this on a Mac as well.) The device and the card
within it are now working well. Afterwards I searched the Garmin site and
did find specified instructions under their Support tab and then "Request a
Repair" then the "Device Performance or Operation" option, then "Locks up or
Freezes" then after describing the problem in more detail clicking on "How
do I remove all user generated files from my mass storage device?" rather
than "How do I perform a master reset" (which I think I did originally as it
purports to "erase your user data from the device" -- but it left out
informing me about card files).
As I rethink this snafu, the problem began by creating the LOL course on the
device through BaseCamp, then mistakenly deleting a waypoint and then b/c of
confusion inadvertently deleting the course and then starting over with the
remaining waypoints -- and not going into the card files and erasing those
(I think that's what cause the bottleneck on the device but I'm not sure).
The interaction between BaseCamp and the device is not bulletproof. The
length of the LOL course I do not think was an issue b/c I was able to
download all of PBP on it last year without a hitch.
On Thursday, August 9, 2012 4:28:26 PM UTC-4, deca2499 wrote:
I actually do the reverse of Jim and put my routes on the card only. Usually
I will go to a website, download the route to my computer and copy it over
to where it needs to be. I have run into trouble in the past where I could
not delete the routes off my card. You might want to hook your 705 to a
Windows computer and do a search for Temp.GPX. Delete that and those "stuck"
routes should go away. That is what fixed my problem. Here is a link to a
posting that might help you as well.
Best of luck!
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
To view this discussion on the web visit
To post to this group, send email to email@example.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
For more options, visit this group at