Most inspirational PBP Account?

Vik Banerjee

Mar 3, 2011, 10:23:05 AM3/3/11
to randon
I want to send my cousin a PBP account to motivate him to get on his bike and was wondering what the single most motivational online account of PBP was in your opinion? He's a marathon runner, but enjoys biking and age is catching up to his knees so he needs a no impact sporting diversion.

safe riding,

Vik Banerjee
thre...@gmail.com
www.thelazyrando.com

msrw

Mar 3, 2011, 2:26:10 PM3/3/11
to randon
I like the account written by Sheldon Brown's wife.
> three...@gmail.comwww.thelazyrando.com

Randy Graves

Mar 3, 2011, 2:29:59 PM3/3/11
to ran...@googlegroups.com

Goonster

Mar 3, 2011, 3:41:01 PM3/3/11
to randon
Harriet Fell +1, especially if he likes chicken.

Narayan Krishnamoorthy

Mar 3, 2011, 5:06:05 PM3/3/11
to randon
One of the earliest accounts I ever read of PBP was the one by Harriet
Fell.

John Ende on his PBP 2007 experience: http://www.rusa.org/newsletter/10-04-22.html

The Three Brothers (Paul Johnson): http://drcodfish.blogspot.com/2007/09/trfee-brothers.html

Here is a big collection of reports: http://www.randonneurs.bc.ca/pbp/stories/stories_2007.html

Narayan

Susan Otcenas

Mar 3, 2011, 7:40:47 PM3/3/11
to randon
This is priceless!

"The weekend before the big event, I packed my TA handlebar bag. I had a rain cape, two sewups, rim tape, spare batteries and bulbs, tools including a spoke wrench, freewheel remover, and a big adjustable wrench. I had glucose tablets, something like Gatorade powder, pâtes de fruits (fruit jellies), a kilo of prunes (to combat one of the problems during the 600 km brevet that I forgot to mention), and . . . a chicken, whole and roasted. "

Vik Banerjee

Mar 4, 2011, 9:29:19 AM3/4/11
to Susan Otcenas, randon
MMMMM....chicken! Sounds like my kind of cyclist...=-)

Thanks to everyone who provided links to quality PBP stories. I will read each one of them and create a best of list for my cousin. I'll also post it to my blog so I can share your collective wisdom in an easy to link to format.

I'm going to jump on the ferry from Victoria to Seattle this PM to ride the SIR 100K tomorrow and I'll DL'd a number of the stories to my phone for inspirational reading on the boat trip over.

safe riding,

Vik Banerjee
thre...@gmail.com
www.thelazyrando.com

Cap'n

Mar 4, 2011, 9:36:29 AM3/4/11
to randon
Matthew Chachere's account of PBP 1995 is the one that got me going.
The RUSA link is broken but the Randonneure Deutschland site is
keeping this important document on line at (although the pictures are
now gone):

http://home.arcor.de/a-r-d/tale/pbp/cham1995.htm

The most entertaining one that I've read is the Adrian Hands account
of PBP 2003.

http://cycling.ahands.org/pbp2003/fini.html

I am also a big fan of Harriet Fell's report--classic.

Enjoy,

John "Cap'n" Ende
> three...@gmail.comwww.thelazyrando.com

DrCodfish

Mar 4, 2011, 3:01:36 PM3/4/11
to randon
Vik said:
"...what the single most motivational online account of PBP was in
your opinion?"

I don't know about motivational, but probably the most unique would be
Jeff Tildens 2007 report. I've copied it in to my blog,
http://drcodfish.blogspot.com/2011/03/life-by-misadventure.html .
Unfortunately I'm not tech enough to get the photos to come along. If
any of you can help with that I'd be happy for the partnership.

Also, another that caught my attention early on was Kent Pertersons
report, I think it was for the 1999 edition.

Yr Pal Dr C

Pete

Mar 5, 2011, 9:22:23 AM3/5/11
to randon
Not terribly inspirational, and perhaps a bit self serving, as these
are my stories, but here are write ups from PBP '99 and '03. Someplace
I have one I wrote about PBP '95. I haven't gotten around to writing
one about '07.

I suspect you shouldn't show your cousin the one from '99.....

PBP 1999:
http://distancerider.net/stories/PBP99/PBP1999.HTML

PBP 2003:
http://distancerider.net/PBP2003.php

As long as I'm at it, here's a few more:
BMB '96:
http://distancerider.net/stories/BMB96/BMB96.htm

Natchez Trace 1000k, 2010:
http://distancerider.net/stories/NT1000k/NT1000kRideStory.html

Pete

On Mar 3, 10:23 am, Vik Banerjee <three...@gmail.com> wrote:
> three...@gmail.comwww.thelazyrando.com

rcnute

Mar 5, 2011, 12:53:51 PM3/5/11
to randon
I like to read and re-read Kent Peterson's write-ups every once in
awhile. http://www.carsstink.org/peterson/rando.html

Ryan

Graham Brodie

Mar 5, 2011, 6:13:16 PM3/5/11
to Cap'n, randon
My 1995 struggle is accounted for here
http://www.gjbrodie.freeserve.co.uk/pbp95_1.htm

Regards

Graham
AUK 335

http://home.arcor.de/a-r-d/tale/pbp/cham1995.htm

http://cycling.ahands.org/pbp2003/fini.html

Enjoy,

John "Cap'n" Ende

pamela blalock

Mar 5, 2011, 6:39:36 PM3/5/11
to randon
My 1991 account is here...

http://blayleys.com/trips/1991/pbp/index.htm

pamela blalock
watertown, ma

DrCodfish

Mar 5, 2011, 10:29:03 PM3/5/11
to randon
I love reading these things, keep them coming! And so, in the spirit
of sharing here are my:

2007 ride report:
http://drcodfish.blogspot.com/2007/09/thirteen-minutes.html

And my 2003 ride report:
http://drcodfish.blogspot.com/2007/05/pbp-2003.html

Is there some way we can archive these, all the RUSA (and other's) PBP
stories? I guess by that I mean would someone elese please do it?
I'd volunteer but computer related tasks are not the best assignment
for me. If you ever need a ditch dug though, I'll even bring my own
shovel.

I think riders probably learn more faster about PBP reading these
things than just about any other way, plus those who have no idea of
PBP might find them interesting.

Anyway, thanks all for posting.

Yr Pal Dr C