Keen Commuter sandals-reviews

JBondra

Apr 30, 2008, 12:25:34 PM4/30/08
to randon
Do any of you have experience using these? How do they compare to the
Lake LXSDL or Shimano SH-SD65 sandals?

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product_detail.aspx?sku=1264

Thanks for your time.

Jim Bondra

Leslie Tierstein

Apr 30, 2008, 2:17:59 PM4/30/08
to JBondra, randon
I really wanted to try them. I had a local sporting goods store order them a month ago, due for delivery this week. Keen sent the wrong shoes! The store called Keen -- they are back ordered until July (at least in women's sizes). So, don't know if they are good or not compared to Shimano's (which I currently use) or Lake's, but I'm gonna have to wait until July to find out, unless a pair falls off a truck into my lap.

So, if you want to try them, order them now and maybe you'll get some in time for summer.

Leslie

Vik

Apr 30, 2008, 2:33:00 PM4/30/08
to Leslie Tierstein, randon group
Leslie,

www.rei,com is showing stock in women's keen cycling sandals - sizes 6-11.

safe riding,

Pack, Daniel L.

Apr 30, 2008, 2:34:53 PM4/30/08
to JBondra, randon
I bought my wife a pair a few weeks ago and she loves them! Much
more comfortable than her Sidis.

They run narrow though. Much more than her keens of the same size.

Daniel Pack

Knoxville, TN

The Wolff Den

Apr 30, 2008, 2:38:58 PM4/30/08
to randon
REI appears to have some, and there are a couple of reviews available there as well.

http://www.rei.com/product/765248

MW

Be a better friend, newshound, and

Timothy Zimmerman

Apr 30, 2008, 7:59:48 PM4/30/08
to randon
I don't have any experience with the cycling specific shoes, but I wear regular Keen sandals on my bike all of the time and love them. They feel great and are plenty grippy for my needs.

MG

May 1, 2008, 3:16:32 PM5/1/08
to randon
Hi, Jim,

I have a pair, and have been using them for commuting on my Friday
Tikit for the past two weeks. Have not done anything longer than 30
miles w/ them, but they are quite comfortable and my foot does not
slip out on hills. They come in women's specific sizing; are a narrow
fit, which I love; and look like regular shoes, which I also love for
walking around off the bike.

I also have a pair of the Lake sandals, and would say that, IMHO, they
are not as stiff as the Lakes. However, they do offer more sizes and
as I said, look like regular shoes.

Good luck.

Mary Gersema

Cecilanne

May 2, 2008, 8:43:46 PM5/2/08
to randon
I had replied to Jim directly, but then thought the rest of the group
might be interested. I got a pair about 2 weeks ago, and have worn
them on all my rides since. On my 300K last week, they performed
admirably - with booties and wool socks in the early morning when it
was 33 degrees, and then without the booties once it warmed up to 70.
I got "hot foot" once, but since I usually get hot foot more often
than that, I consider that an improvement. They are much lighter than
my Shimano sandals, and less bulky - plus they have a toe cap for more
protection (and you can slip a chemical warmer in there, of you need
to). I don't know about the men's sizes, but the women's sizes run
large - I went down a full size from my street/running shoe size.

albert meerscheidt

May 3, 2008, 11:22:40 AM5/3/08
to Cecilanne, randon
I used my Shimano sandals on the first 400k of PBP and can offer a couple comments:

When your sealskinz fill up with water, it sloshes against your ankles when you brake suddenly.

If it gets warm enough to take off your socks - don't forget to sunscreen your feet and toes!!!(that was a different ride)

Albert

Amy M. Harman

May 3, 2008, 8:11:08 PM5/3/08
to albert meerscheidt, Cecilanne, randon
Apparently these are selling like hotcakes at REI - yesterday I stopped by the Seattle store to pick up my t-shirt for being captain of a bike to work team for the month of May and of course had to see If I needed anything - so decided to try these on - nixxed they only had size 6 in the women's on the shelf right now. So what did I need - only a few larabars in cherry pie flavor have you tried those? they are awesome :-)
Amy

>--
>Thanks,
>
>Albert
>albert.me...@gmail.com
>cbcr...@cascade.org
>webm...@seattlerando.org

"Let me tell you what I think of bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel...the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood."--Susan B. Anthony

Dan Driscoll

May 4, 2008, 1:59:51 PM5/4/08
to albert meerscheidt, Cecilanne, randon

My foot is far too wide for the Keen’s. Does any one with a wide foot have a recommendation of preference between Lake and Shimano sandals?

May 4, 2008, 6:51:51 PM5/4/08
to Dan Driscoll, albert meerscheidt, Cecilanne, randon
I wear a 10 1/2 4E and the Lakes were  little narrow...
--
Peter
"Seeing the U.S.A. one brevet at a time"

321-794-0500 cell - 352-275-5888 home - Skype me at Peter.F.Noris

NickBull

May 4, 2008, 7:50:12 PM5/4/08
to randon
The Lakes I bought two years ago had soles made by Shimano. I didn't
like the two-strap system, since the straps cut into the top of my
foot. Exchanged them for Shimano's and have been happy since. I
think my foot's fairly wide, and I find the Shimano's comfortable.

On May 4, 5:51 pm, "Peter Noris" <pno...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wear a 10 1/2 4E and the Lakes were little narrow...
>
> On 5/4/08, Dan Driscoll <dansm...@flash.net> wrote:
>

> > My foot is far too wide for the Keen's. Does any one with a wide foot have
> > a recommendation of preference between Lake and Shimano sandals?
>
> > ------------------------------

Bob Riggs

May 4, 2008, 9:30:23 PM5/4/08
to randon
I wear a 13E and have been using the same pair of XL Lake sandals for
almost 3 years. They fit pretty well. I tried on the Shimanos with
the extra straps and they didn't fit well. Lake went to the extra
straps last year, but now they've gone back to two straps. However,
I've been trying to find a new pair for a couple of months, and I
don't think they're available. My LBS said they would be out some
time in May.

On May 4, 12:59 pm, "Dan Driscoll" <dansm...@flash.net> wrote:
> My foot is far too wide for the Keen's. Does any one with a wide foot have a
> recommendation of preference between Lake and Shimano sandals?
>
>   _____

Slo Joe Recumbo

May 5, 2008, 5:20:08 AM5/5/08
to randon
Dan,

I've been using the LAKE sandals for over a year because I prefer just
the two straps. I have wide feet and a morton's neuroma on the left
one. I think I ordered a size larger (the first to go is the .....)
than what the chart says.

I tried on the Shimano's but did not like the fit with the 3 straps.
For me (YMMV) I like the looseness of the two straps.

On May 5, 1:59 am, "Dan Driscoll" <dansm...@flash.net> wrote:
> My foot is far too wide for the Keen's. Does any one with a wide foot have a
> recommendation of preference between Lake and Shimano sandals?
>
>   _____

jimg

May 5, 2008, 4:58:37 PM5/5/08
to randon
See

http://cyclingspokane.blogspot.com/2008/04/keen-spd-sandals-follow-up.html

(note, I didn't write the above).

-Jim G

Dave Howland

May 7, 2008, 12:54:54 PM5/7/08
to ran...@googlegroups.com
After reading this thread of discussion and doing a little research
about them on my own, I rode the ~30 miles out to my local REI and
tried them out. I was surprised, they let me install a pair of cleats
and take them out for a ride. My LBS sure wouldn't have let me do
that... After a short trial run to establish that they weren't going
to cause any major pressure points with my Eggbeaters, I took the
plunge and bought them (the 20% off member's coupon helped). Rode with
them on the trip home and am quite happy with them so far. Power
transfer is less efficient than with my Sidis, but that's to be
expected, and not really an issue for casual riding. I can still get a
solid pull on the upstroke in out of the saddle climbing though, which
is something I was not expecting. Fit, for me, is pretty much perfect,
but I have very narrow feet, so I can understand where all of the "too
narrow" complaints are coming from. And in fact, those complaints were
part of why I decided to go try them out. I like Keen's sandals, but
their regular lasts are way too wide for my feet. I find them to be
quite comfortable for walking around off the bike, as well. And the
cleat is well recessed, no clicking, even on uneven pavement.

So, there's my initial two cents. Hope it's helpful to someone.

Dave Howland

sfuller

May 7, 2008, 10:59:34 PM5/7/08
to randon
I picked up a pair today as well. They are narrower than the nashbar
ragsters that I was using, but I like how they fit. I especially like
the fact that my toes are protected now.

Steve Fuller