Rainlegs, Rainmates, Carradice Spats

Bill Gobie

Nov 18, 2010, 2:40:32 PM11/18/10
to randon subscribers
My Rainlegs are getting a bit tatty, so I am considering options. Full-
on rainpants are too hot for me under almost any conditions.

The Rainlegs' coating is delaminating after not very much use. I have
had them too long for the company to replace them under warranty, but
they are willing to give me a discount on a new set. Can anyone
comment on the durability of recent Rainlegs?

Rainmates look pretty similar to Rainlegs, with the addition of lower
leg covers. Are Rainmates made from the same sort of coated nylon?
Durability? Can the lower leg covers be used without the uppers?

Carradice Duxback Spats interest me because I like the idea of the
shoe cover and lower leg cover being one piece, with no gaps for water
to make its way in. I could see wearing these to keep spray off my
socks and/or leg warmers, and hopefully keep my feet dry. Does anybody
have these? What do you think?

http://www.rainlegs.co.uk/
http://www.rainmates.us/home.jsp
http://www.citybikes.coop/parts/rainwear/

Bill Gobie

Leslie Tierstein

Nov 19, 2010, 2:13:35 PM11/19/10
to Bill Gobie, ran...@googlegroups.com
Not a direct response, but: Gore is now making some rain shorts, which I have found very practical when pants are too hot. But pricey.

Clayton Scott

Nov 19, 2010, 2:18:43 PM11/19/10
to ltier...@earthlink.net, Bill Gobie, ran...@googlegroups.com
While I love the duxback poncho the spats were horrible. They were too short leg-lengthwise and the zipper broke after using them 4 times. The Velcro closures and zipper, even if it did not break, are much to fiddly making it a major nuisance to get on and off. Plus since they are all enclosing they end up being very hot. An open backed spat makes much more sense to me.

Hope this helps

Clayton

kww

Nov 21, 2010, 5:24:55 AM11/21/10
to randon
I just used my rainmates for the first time this week in a Portland
rain storm, they work ok but there are a myriad of snaps. Why they
have detachable lowers is beyond me. also the cinching strap for the
waist does not hold very well.

I was thinking of using the Carradice spats as well.

If anyone wants my rainmates they are large size, and for sale.

Steady As She Goes

Nov 21, 2010, 1:31:41 PM11/21/10
to randon
Don't forget the Splats:

http://www.rivbike.com/products/show/musa-splats-pair/60-053

Anybody try the Rinvendell/MUSA rain paints?

> If anyone wants my rainmates they are large size, and for sale.
How much for the Rainmates, mate?

Ray

kww

Nov 22, 2010, 1:37:24 AM11/22/10
to randon
I got my Large sized Rainmates at 10% off ($45) at:
http://clevercycles.com/products/apparel/outerwear/#Rainmates
If you live in USA I will sell them for $30 with USPS Priority Mail
Shipping included.
If you live in the Portland, OR area I will deliver.

Oh and for rain shoes for commuting, I swear by Tretorn rubber
booties:
http://store.tretorn.com/mens-rubber/c/10200/
The Stråla Vinter has acrylic wool lining, half ankle and works in the
office. You need platform pedals of course, but who does the peloton
thing in bad weather? One less thing to carry when you ride. I just
may get by this year with my rain cape and the rubber booties and do
without the carradice spats.

msrw

Nov 24, 2010, 11:37:29 AM11/24/10
to randon
I also like the Carradice rain caps--particularly the yellow version,
but I've used both of the Carradice spats, and find them unnecessarily
complicated to put on, fragile, poor-fitting, and overall terrible.