Garmin Edge 500 charging

lj mangin

May 25, 2011, 11:42:35 AM5/25/11
to randon
I use a Garmin Edge 500 for brevets but its shortcoming for longer rando-rides is that it does not seem to be usable while charging.  Once it is plugged in to a wall socket, car charger, USB, etc. it goes into charge mode and resets.  I am thinking that dynamo hub charging would be great, has anyone charged their Edge 500 this way and maintained functionality?
Thanks,
John M
1679

WMdeR

May 26, 2011, 12:21:46 PM5/26/11
to randon, wmder...@gmail.com
Dear John,

This list (and Kole Kantner in particular) has extensively discussed
running Garmin Edge (500, 705, 800) gps units from hub dynamos. a
search of the archives will bring up the trails.

There are devices commercially available to plug into your SON to run
your GPS. The B+M Ewerk comes immediately to mind, and there are
others. If one is running the charging circuit while your lights are
on, then all is well. However, the hub generator really wants to push
a half-amp through the wires, and your GPS only draws 80 or so
milliamps. Consequently, the voltage supplied to the GPS alone (when
you've got the lights off) rises substantially, and can overwhelm the
over-voltage protection, damaging your GPS. Recharging an external
battery pack may be a safer solution with these charging units, which
you can then use to power the GPS.

A simple 4XAA external battery pack with high-capacity NiMH
rechargeable batteries seems to be the current consensus solution (see
current discussions). I'd review the various charging discussions
archived here before buying (or making) a power supply for your GPS.

Best Regards,

Will

William M. deRosset
RUSA 2401
Fort Collins, CO

Yiping Lin

May 27, 2011, 11:09:38 AM5/27/11
to randon
I have used two external battery packs for charging Garmin Edge 500
during PA400k & PA600k. For PBP, I will take 18650 battery pack with
two batteries because it's lighter.

One is home-made 4xAA external battery pack (hold about 72hr*)
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-v9tK-0W5uts/TXE99CE0h9I/AAAAAAAAO7c/7AYuzR1BTGs/s1600/172916_178640858846782_100001026060773_407595_4129649_o.jpg

The other is 18650 external battery pack (hold about slightly less
than 60hr*)
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-J2OZ-QSh33Q/TaYuBEVfPtI/AAAAAAAAPVA/4KmB56AR-GM/s800/2011-0413-071448.JPG
* including the power from the fully charged Garmin Edge 500

That was ordered from here (the free-shipping delivery is slow)
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/white-light-led-flashlight-emergency-usb-charger-with-cell-phone-adapters-18883

Note that I need to modify the USB/mini USB cable: to short pin X and
pin 4 in mini USB head. Follow the instruction here.
http://pinouts.ru/GPS/garmin_nuvi_power_pinout.shtml

Yiping

Yiping Lin

May 27, 2011, 11:40:21 AM5/27/11
to randon
I forgot to mention.
I suggest to use the external battery pack during the night ride,
because the backlight is automatically turn on (even though the
setting say no).
When connected to the external battery pack, Garmin uses the external
power for the operation and also get charged by it (slowly).
By the daylight, you'll have a fully charged Garmin to use until the
nightfall.

Yiping

On May 27, 11:09 am, Yiping Lin <wilde...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have used two external battery packs for charging Garmin Edge 500
> during PA400k & PA600k. For PBP, I will take 18650 battery pack with
> two batteries because it's lighter.
>
> One is home-made 4xAA external battery pack (hold about 72hr*)http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-v9tK-0W5uts/TXE99CE0h9I/AAAAAAAAO7c/7AYuzR1...
>
> The other is 18650 external battery pack (hold about slightly less
> than 60hr*)https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-J2OZ-QSh33Q/TaYuBEVfPtI/AAAAAAAAPV...
> * including the power from the fully charged Garmin Edge 500
>
> That was ordered from here (the free-shipping delivery is slow)http://www.dealextreme.com/p/white-light-led-flashlight-emergency-usb...
>
> Note that I need to modify the USB/mini USB cable: to short pin X and
> pin 4 in mini USB head. Follow the instruction here.http://pinouts.ru/GPS/garmin_nuvi_power_pinout.shtml

kk

May 30, 2011, 4:38:30 AM5/30/11
to randon
I have an Edge 305 and I successfully use it for brevets with a
combination of Shimano Hub Dynamo + Dahon Biologic Reecharge. Infact I
also charge my Mobile too.

I usually start out by charging the Reecharge with a Wall Charger the
night before. Also make sure that the Garmin is fully charged too.
During the day time I ride with the Garmin always connected to the
Reecharge & the Reecharge is connected to the Hub. So the power
generated charges the Dahon Battery, & it charges the Garmin/Phone. So
till the night time when I need the lights Both Dahon Battery & the
Garmin is fully charged & I need not bother with carrying anything as
spare. Though sometimes it's good to carry a 2AA charger just incase.

KK