report - new Arkel Randonneur Rack with TailRider Trunk Bag.

Richard.McCaw

Sep 9, 2010, 12:17:37 PM9/9/10
to randon

Here is update on using the new Arkel Randonneur Rack with TailRider Trunk Bag.

http://www.arkel-od.com/us/all-categories/bicycle-bike-pannier-rack/arkel-randonneur-rack.html

http://www.arkel-od.com/us/tailrider.html

I wanted to see if the rack deserved the “Randonneur” label. I the received the rack from Arkel in July and I installed it on my Eisentraut. This was the bicycle I used to do PMP 2003. Back then I used a K2 Klikit bag that had an integrated plastic rack frame that connected to the seat post. My Eisentraut doesn't have eyelets in the rear drops for an ordinary rear pannier rack so I needed a seat post/ saddle attachment solution. Solution worked but rack did move during the ride.

My experience so far is that the combination of the Arkel TailRider and Randonneur Rear Pannier Rack works much better than any other solution I have tried for bicycle w/o rear eyelets. Including what I used in 2003. It’s easy to install. I tested it out on rides in the local bay area hills. Solid with no swaying that happens to racks that attach only to the seat post. I couldn’t find and faults with design.

I wasn’t planning to do another long brevet this year needing the Arkel Trunk Bag so I offered my equipment for use in my local bicycle club.

Russ Stevens needed a solution for his Voyageur entry in the HooDoo 500 since his bicycle didn’t have rear eyelets to hold a rear rack. The Voyageur category required the rider to be self supported. The route includes climb to the 10,500 ft peak of Cedar Breaks. No support crew like the FC 508. Voyageur category has similarity to doing a long brevet. I lent him my Arkel Randonneur Rack with TailRider Trunk Bag. Russ finished 3rd in his category.

http://www.fototime.com/%7B404CEA33-71D6-4430-83C7-A17B77AAE636%7D/origpict/IMG_3726.jpg

Russ’s ride report

http://www.rides.actc.org/?p=441

Russ said the rack and bag worked perfectly for him. Rack didn’t sway or upset his center of gravity. He never really noticed the equipment until he needed something from the bag. He was able to carry more than what he actually needed. (He was prepared for very cold and wet weather on the top of Cedar Breaks)

So the new Arkel Randonneur Rack with TailRider Trunk Bag combination gets “two thumbs up” recommendation. The Arkel Rack passes the test to have “Randonneur” label.

An option for Randonneurs to consider for 600km and longer brevets (PBP 2011)

I live in San Jose (Bay Area) – contact me if you would like to borrow Arkel rack.

BTW: My Longstaff has eyelets in the rear drops so I use the Tubus Fly rear rack/ Arkel TailRider combination with it (PBP 2007, Cascades 1200 and other brevets since 2006). Now I have another option for a rack.

Richard McCaw
richar...@sbcglobal.net
Cell: 408-838-9863
Home: 408-448-2899

LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/mccaw

Mark Beaver

Sep 15, 2010, 1:27:27 PM9/15/10
to randon
And the best news of all is... arkel has just announced that the
retail price of the Randonneur rear rack will be dropping to $89.99 CA
$ in the new year, as they have achieved economies of scale in
production and they are able to reduce the price substantially.

We stock the Randonneur rack in our store and it is a well-engineered
product, one of those "slap-your-forehead-why-didn't-I-think-of-that"
ideas. I use a Tailrider pack and it is a really great size and well-
designed as well.

Mark Beaver
president, Randonneurs Nova Scotia
co-owner, Cyclesmith, Halifax, NS

On Sep 9, 1:17 pm, "Richard.McCaw" <richard.mc...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:
> [...]
> upset his center of gravity. He never really noticed the equipment until he
> needed something from the bag. He was able to carry more than what he
> actually needed. (He was prepared for very cold and wet weather on the top
> of Cedar Breaks)
>
> So the new Arkel Randonneur Rack with TailRider Trunk Bag combination gets
> "two thumbs up" recommendation. The Arkel Rack passes the test to have
> "Randonneur" label.
>
> An option for Randonneurs to consider for 600km and longer brevets (PBP
> 2011)
>
> I live in San Jose (Bay Area) - contact me if you would like to borrow Arkel
> rack.
>
> BTW: My Longstaff has eyelets in the rear drops so I use the Tubus Fly rear
> rack/ Arkel TailRider combination with it (PBP 2007, Cascades 1200 and other
> brevets since 2006). Now I have another option for a rack.

Lloyd Lemons

Sep 16, 2010, 1:27:19 PM9/16/10
to randon

I really like the functionality of the Arkel Trunk Bag, but I'm a
little confused on the capacity rating. I now use a Carradice Barley
Bag which claims to be 7L, the Arkel bag is 11L. That would seem to be
a significant increase, but measuring it by inches of capacity they
seem to be quite close in size with the Barley possibly being a little
bigger. Each bag is a long term investment, and I don't want to end up
with two bags of the same (or close) carrying capacity. Any comments
on this comparison? Thanks.

Lloyd Lemons

Neal Becker

Sep 16, 2010, 1:52:47 PM9/16/10
to ran...@googlegroups.com, richar...@sbcglobal.net
Interesting! I have a 2009? Trek Madonne with a non-round seatpost. Think
this rack might work on this bike?

Edward Groth

Sep 16, 2010, 2:16:14 PM9/16/10
to Neal Becker, ran...@googlegroups.com, richar...@sbcglobal.net
I'd ask Trek. The rack should fit but the forces might be too strong
and damage or break the seat post. Is it alloy or CF?

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Neal Becker <ndbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting!  I have a 2009? Trek Madonne with a non-round seatpost.  Think
> this rack might work on  this bike?

Neal Becker

Sep 16, 2010, 2:28:41 PM9/16/10
to ran...@googlegroups.com, Edward Groth, richar...@sbcglobal.net
CF seatpost. As I understand it, this rack attaches to the seat rails.
I suppose it could put too much torque on the seat post, but I don't think I'd
be putting that much weight on it. Just want to carry some clothes.

Greg

Sep 16, 2010, 2:40:00 PM9/16/10
to randon
Lloyd,

The Arkel's top is pleated which allows it to expand kind of
ridiculously:

http://home.nannynannybooboo.com/bike/arkeltailrider/

Maybe that's the source of the discrepancy?

Or do you mean you don't get 11L when converting from 700 cubic
inches?

http://google.com/search?q=700+cubic+inches+to+liters

-Greg

Neal Becker

Sep 16, 2010, 2:52:17 PM9/16/10
to ran...@googlegroups.com
Looks pretty sweet. I only wonder, the TailRider weighs 1.1lb. Seems a bit
on the heavy side...

Richard.McCaw

Sep 16, 2010, 3:04:32 PM9/16/10
to Neal Becker, ran...@googlegroups.com
Weight of bag is minor compared to anything you would carry in it or on it.
It includes an integrated rain cover. Think of how heavy a bag can get if it
is exposed to pouring rain.
The seat post clamp is flexible plastic? With Velcro strap closure. Should
be able to adjust to different shape seat posts (depending on diameter).
There is probably more torque from extra weight on seat rails. Check with
seat post vendor

Richard McCaw
richar...@sbcglobal.net