Garmin GPS vista power failure fix *warning techno-geek content*

CRWGPSGUY

Apr 12, 2009, 11:14:09 AM4/12/09
to ran...@googlegroups.com

A friend of mine recently asked me to take a look at his gps to see if I could fix it.

It was suffering the Garmin Vista power failure issue.

Here is what I found and how to fix it.

http://home.comcast.net/~crwgpsguy/site/?/page/Garmin_Vista_fix/

I would guess other model would have a similar construction and thus issue.

Peter Grant

Apr 12, 2009, 11:12:35 PM4/12/09
to CRWG...@comcast.net, ran...@googlegroups.com
Nice pictures. The photos look the same as the interior of my Garmin GPSMap 60Cx which has the same flaw. I applied the same fix in 2006 or 2007. It is still working well.

Peter Grant
Ontario Randonneurs

Tom

Apr 13, 2009, 6:03:55 PM4/13/09
to randon
I have the heard in the past that that the soldered connection will
solve the problem. Obviously it will void the warranty, as well. Too
bad we can't get Garmin to fix these units so that the solder is not
necessary. The 12-15 hr limit of the 605/705 units is a major
drawback.

Steve Rice

Apr 13, 2009, 6:45:29 PM4/13/09
to ran...@googlegroups.com
Tom wrote:
The 12-15 hr limit of the 605/705 units is a major drawback.

I am finding that there is another major drawback with these units - they don't seem to Autoroute as well as their bigger cousins.  I have gotten used to the performance of a GPSMAP76C but did not like the size.  So when it started giving me the power failure problems, I bought a 605 (I don't care about heart rate) eagerly looking forward to the smaller size.  The problem I am having is that the 605 does not give the same autorouting performance as the 76C.  I create routes in Mapsource and download them to the device only to have extra lines show up on the map leading to confusion.  If you have had luck in creating routes on Mapsource and downloading them to a 605/705, please let me know so that I can hopefully duplicate your success.

Thanks
Steve Rice - not looking forward to fixing my 76C, but will if I can't get the 605 to perform - and btw, Garmin was no help in resolving this.