Update on IronRuby and rails-sqlserver-adapter

Shri Borde

Feb 16, 2010, 5:51:54 PM2/16/10
to rails-sqlse...@googlegroups.com

IronRuby is reaching 1.0 over the next few months. We have been pushing on Rails compat, and I am happy to report that the ActiveRecord tests pass rate with SQL server is at 98%! Only 54 of 2300 tests fail. The list of the 54 disabled tests can be seen in the disable_tests function in http://github.com/ironruby/ironruby/blob/master/Merlin/Main/Languages/Ruby/Tests/Scripts/utr/active_record_tests.rb. The tests are run using the techniques described at http://github.com/rails-sqlserver/2000-2005-adapter/blob/master/RUNNING_UNIT_TESTS, but using a wrapper script to adapt to the IronRuby dev environment.

The setup is described at http://ironruby.net/Documentation/Real_Ruby_Applications/Rails. Basically, it uses rails-sqlserver-adapter and the ironruby-dbi (http://github.com/casualjim/ironruby-dbi) gem.

My timing is really bad, coming just a couple of days after Ken announced that DBI was not supported, but oh well J We will have to look at adding back the DBI support in the future. For now, we can lock down on the 2.3.1 version. Thanks for the work on the adapter!

Shri

Ken Collins

Shri Borde

Feb 16, 2010, 6:23:00 PM2/16/10
to rails-sqlse...@googlegroups.com, Ivan Porto Carrero

Ivan (the ironruby-dbi owner) did mention that bypassing DBI for ActiveRecord support might be simpler. So its not necessarily a blocking issue, just some more work to get IronRuby working with rails-sqlserver-adapter 2.3.2 (without DBI) than with 2.3.1 where it already works over DBI.

Ken Collins

Feb 16, 2010, 7:01:54 PM2/16/10
to rails-sqlse...@googlegroups.com

Trust me, what is in trunk should be easy to work with. I would dare say that the lines of ruby to make the adapter use ADO.NET (:ado_net) would be less than a dozen. It should be really really simple, let me know if you need pointers.

 - Ken