Rails Gunslinger needed for 3 month gig at GetUp! Action for Australia

Daryl Manning

Jan 3, 2010, 11:31:53 PM1/3/10
to rails-oceania
GetUp! takes action to build a progressive Australia and hold power to account. We're known worldwide for our campaigning with our grassroots membership to create positive social change. So, if you've been thinking about making the world a better place in your New Year's Resolutions, we could use a hand.

Due to parental leave and some well-deserved holidays, we need to bolster our small internal team here at HQ in Surry Hills for three months to get version 3.0 of our campaigning platform out into production. You'll be leading on development and mentoring the team on Rails and TDD/BDD. You'll need:
  • Commercial Rails experience preferably with an app or apps that deals with large scale email, CRM and member tracking
  • Experience and (zealous) practice of BDD and TDD. You lurv Cucumber and RSpec (or their friends). You write tests first.
  • Practical application and programming of features in Rails 2.3x and you can think about design implications with an eye to the impending release of 3.0
  • Experience working with vendor APIs and gems (ie. Campaign Monitor/MailChimp, ActiveMerchant, SearchLogic etc.)
  • Some linux sysadmin and systems architecture knowledge. You use git, github, and capistrano daily and can do some front end work with html, css and jQuery.
Salary is $70k pa pro rata for the three months (hey, we're a not for profit). Start is end of January. Work environment is casual, dynamic, relaxed and very fun.

Please send resume, github profile and any other online pointers to your expertise (ie. blog etc) as well as any questions to rail...@getup.org.au (no phone calls please).

Thanks for your time and consideration and Happy New Year (and hacking) to everyone.
Daryl.

GetUp! is committed to Equal Opportunity principles - Women, NESB, Aboriginal and applicants with disabilities are encouraged to apply.

Ryan Bigg

Jan 3, 2010, 11:57:03 PM1/3/10
to rails-...@googlegroups.com
2010/1/4 Daryl Manning <daryl....@gmail.com>

I would like to applaud you for posting such an *excellent* example of a job posting.

Bravo!

--
Ryan Bigg

David Lee

Jan 4, 2010, 12:10:58 AM1/4/10
to rails-...@googlegroups.com
It's worth pointing out that this organisation is about the most righteous place you could possibly work. They're passionate and engaged, without a hint of extremism - just altruistic, eminently sane people getting great and noble things done using the internet as a platform. In a nutshell, they embody the perfect counterpoint to my darkest fears about internet censorship in Australia.

There are plenty of non-profit organisations you could work without making a positive difference to the world - this isn't one of them.

Great to see you guys using rails, too.

cheers,
David Lee

alg

Jan 4, 2010, 6:01:44 AM1/4/10
to Ruby or Rails Oceania
Sounds awesome. It's a shame that you are not in Melbourne.

For the last 5 years I've been happily working remotely from my home
office, but sometimes I miss shared office space, idea ping-pong and a
friendly chat during coffee breaks. :)

- Aleks

On Jan 4, 3:31 pm, Daryl Manning <daryl.mann...@gmail.com> wrote:
> GetUp! takes action to build a progressive Australia and hold power to
> account. We're known worldwide for our campaigning with our grassroots
> membership to create positive social change. So, if you've been thinking
> about making the world a better place in your New Year's Resolutions, we
> could use a hand.
>
> Due to parental leave and some well-deserved holidays, we need to bolster
> our small internal team here at HQ in Surry Hills for three months to get
> version 3.0 of our campaigning platform out into production. You'll be
> leading on development and mentoring the team on Rails and TDD/BDD. You'll
> need:
>

>    - Commercial Rails experience preferably with an app or apps that deals

>    with large scale email, CRM and member tracking

>    - Experience and (zealous) practice of BDD and TDD. You lurv Cucumber and

>    RSpec (or their friends). You write tests first.

>    - Practical application and programming of features in Rails 2.3x and you

>    can think about design implications with an eye to the impending release of
>    3.0

>    - Experience working with vendor APIs and gems (ie. Campaign
>    Monitor/MailChimp, ActiveMerchant, SearchLogic etc.)
>    - Some linux sysadmin and systems architecture knowledge. You use git,

>    github, and capistrano daily and can do some front end work with html, css
>    and jQuery.
>

> Salary is $70k pa *pro rata* for the three months (hey, we're a not for

> profit). Start is end of January. Work environment is casual, dynamic,
> relaxed and very fun.
>
> Please send resume, github profile and any other online pointers to your
> expertise (ie. blog etc) as well as any questions to

> rails_...@getup.org.au(no phone calls please).

Jonathan Clarke

Jan 4, 2010, 6:35:36 AM1/4/10
to rails-...@googlegroups.com
So roughly how many people would apply to such a job opening? KInda
interested in the general availability of Rails devs in Sydney. GetUp
would be my ideal organisation to work for, alas, visa restrictions
...well....restrict me.

Jonathan

Daryl Manning

Jan 11, 2010, 8:45:40 PM1/11/10
to rails-oceania
Well, you never know. We might end up in Melbourne someday. I know there was an idea at one point of moving the office to different cities over several years to avoid a Sydney-centric mindset.

Anyhow, thanks for chiming in though. It's good to know we'd have some people available if we were in Melb...

ciao !
Daryl.