[ANN] Ruby-GetText-Package-2.0.0

Masao Mutoh

Mar 22, 2009, 9:24:36 AM3/22/09
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com, rails...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Ruby-GetText-Package-2.0.0 is now available.

Ruby-GetText-Package now separate 2 base libraries
and 3 libraries which support Ruby on Rails 2.3.2.

For all libraries/applications:
* locale - Management Locale IDs
* gettext - Message localizations

For Ruby on Rails:
* locale_rails - Rails support with locale
* gettext_activerecord - ActiveRecord Localization
* gettext_rails - Support other localization same with gettext-1.93.0.

See HOWTO below to migrate rails-2.1.x apps to rails-2.3.2.

* HOWTO Migrate rails-2.1.x(gettext-1.93.0) to rails-2.3.2(gettext-2.0.0)
http://www.yotabanana.com/hiki/ruby-gettext-rails-migration.html

Changes
-------
* locale-2.0.0
* Support Rack.
* locale_rails-2.0.0
* I18n.translate fallbacks to the localized message in the locale candidates.
* Support localized view both of gettext-1.93.0 style and rails-2.3.x style.
* Support Rails-2.3.2.
* gettext-2.0.0
* Separate this library to locale, locale_rails, gettext_activerecord,
gettext_rails.
* A lot of referctoring, improvements.
* Thread safe.
* New APIs for gettext/tools instead of gettext/utils.
* gettext_activerecord-2.0.0
* Support activerecord-2.3.2.
* gettext_rails-2.0.0
* Support Rails-2.3.2.
* Work with other I18n backends.

(NOTE)
* Rails-2.3.1 and earlier aren't supported.

Thanks to
-------
Special Thanks to:
Michael Grosser: A lot of improvement.

Thanks to:
Tietew, Kazuhiro NISHIYAMA, Fabio M.A.
Tuptus, Morus Walter, Vladimir Dobriakov, Ramsey.

Website
-------
* homepage
http://www.yotabanana.com/hiki/ruby-locale.html
http://www.yotabanana.com/hiki/ruby-gettext.html
* rubyforge
http://rubyforge.org/projects/locale
http://rubyforge.org/projects/gettext
* github
http://github.com/mutoh/locale/tree/master
http://github.com/mutoh/locale_rails/tree/master
http://github.com/mutoh/gettext/tree/master
http://github.com/mutoh/gettext_activerecord/tree/master
http://github.com/mutoh/gettext_rails/tree/master

* Download

* Ruby-GetText-Package HOWTOs
http://www.yotabanana.com/hiki/ruby-gettext-howto.html
* Ruby-GetText-Package HOWTO for Ruby on Rails
http://www.yotabanana.com/hiki/ruby-gettext-rails.html
* HOWTO Migrate rails-2.1.x(gettext-1.93.0) to rails-2.3.2(gettext-2.0.0)
http://www.yotabanana.com/hiki/ruby-gettext-rails-migration.html
* Ruby-GetText-Package documents for Translators
http://www.yotabanana.com/hiki/ruby-gettext-translate.html

What's this?
-------------
Ruby-GetText-Package is a Localization(L10n) library and tool
which is modeled after the GNU gettext package.

This library translates original messages to localized
messages using client-side locale information(environment
variable, using system locale API or CGI variable).

The tools for developers support creating, useing, and modifying
localized message files(message catalogs).

ScreenShots
-----------
Screenshots in 23 languages (Sample Rails blog) are:
http://www.yotabanana.com/hiki/?ruby-gettext-screenshot

--
Masao Mutoh <muto...@gmail.com>

Masao Mutoh

Mar 23, 2009, 8:09:07 AM3/23/09
to rails...@googlegroups.com

Simone Carletti

Mar 24, 2009, 6:49:40 AM3/24/09
to rails-i18n
Thanks, this is a great news!

I've a long time project that was forced to use Rails 2.1.x due to
reported incompatibility of GetText Rails with a greater release.

Now I'm going to schedule the upgrade within the next couple of weeks.
I will let you know if I encounter some problem. :)

Thanks again,
Simone
-
http://www.simonecarletti.com/
> Masao Mutoh <mutom...@gmail.com>

Simone Carletti

Mar 27, 2009, 12:12:11 PM3/27/09
to rails-i18n
There's a bug in gettext_rails that causes my test to fail.

1) Error:
test_contact_mail(MailerTest):
NoMethodError: undefined method `create_bang_without_gettext' for
#<Mailer:0x3662224 @errors=[]>
/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/gettext_rails-2.0.0/lib/gettext_rails/
action_mailer.rb:30:in `create!'
app/models/mailer.rb:8:in `initialize'
/test/unit/mailer_test.rb:16:in `test_contact_mail'

The file gettext_rails.rb assumes that alias_method_chain doesn't
properly support punctuation, while it does.
You should change line 30 from

create_bang_without_gettext(*arg)

create_without_gettext!(*arg)

Simone

--

On Mar 23, 1:09 pm, Masao Mutoh <mutom...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Masao Mutoh <mutom...@gmail.com>

Masao Mutoh

Mar 27, 2009, 10:29:19 PM3/27/09
to rails...@googlegroups.com, Simone Carletti
Hi,

Oops, this is a bug. I'll fix it.
--
Masao Mutoh <muto...@gmail.com>

Simone Carletti

Mar 31, 2009, 9:47:48 AM3/31/09
to rails-i18n
Any idea about when the bugfix GEM will be available?
I'm waiting for the update to avoid manually patching all production
servers. :)

-- Simone
> Masao Mutoh <mutom...@gmail.com>

Masao Mutoh

Mar 31, 2009, 12:01:59 PM3/31/09
to rails...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Now, I have some feedbacks.
I'll fix all of these issues then release new one.

Please make package by yourself if you need.
See: http://wiki.github.com/mutoh/gettext_rails

Sorry for incovenient.

Regards,
Masao

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 06:47:48 -0700 (PDT)
--
Masao Mutoh <muto...@gmail.com>

Sven Fuchs

Apr 8, 2009, 9:31:39 AM4/8/09
to rails...@googlegroups.com
Hi Masao,

thanks for all the great work you're putting into this!

I've added a few links to the GetText section on our rails-i18n wiki (http://rails-i18n.org/wiki
). Please let me know if I've missed something.

Masao Mutoh

Apr 8, 2009, 12:42:00 PM4/8/09
to rails...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sven,

Thank you!
It's very nice and no problem.

Regards,
Masao.
--
Masao Mutoh <muto...@gmail.com>

Dan Coutu

Apr 13, 2009, 6:10:58 PM4/13/09
to rails...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to build packages myself but cannot build the locale package.
I've tried this on a Red Hat Linux machine and a Macintosh and it fails
with the same error on both machines.

The problem is seen when running 'rake package' on the locale package.
Here is the output:

$ rake package
(in /home/coutu/gt-build/locale)
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31: command not
found: allison --path
/usr/bin/ruby -Ilib test/test_detect_general.rb
Loaded suite test/test_detect_general
Started
Finished in 0.003711 seconds.

/usr/bin/ruby -Ilib test/test_memoizable.rb
Loaded suite test/test_memoizable
Started
Finished in 0.001536 seconds.

/usr/bin/ruby -Ilib test/test_thread.rb
Loaded suite test/test_thread
Started
Finished in 6.003899 seconds.

/usr/bin/ruby -Ilib test/test_tag.rb
Loaded suite test/test_tag
Started
F...........
Finished in 0.07693 seconds.

1) Failure:
test_cldr(TagTest) [test/test_tag.rb:819]:
<#<Locale::Tag::Rfc: de-DE-k-currency-DDM-k-collatio-phoneboo>> expected
but was
<#<Locale::Tag::Rfc: de-DE-k-collatio-phoneboo-k-currency-DDM>>.

rake aborted!
Command failed with status (1): [/usr/bin/ruby -Ilib test/test_tag.rb...]
/home/coutu/gt-build/locale/Rakefile:19

Masao Mutoh

Apr 14, 2009, 10:53:26 AM4/14/09
to rails...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

It seems the test depends on some ruby versions.
I'll fix it.
If you would like to make package now,
remove test task from your Rakefile.
--
Masao Mutoh <muto...@gmail.com>

Dan Coutu

Apr 14, 2009, 12:01:36 PM4/14/09
to rails...@googlegroups.com
Hi Masao, thanks! That gets me further along in the build process. FYI,
I'm using Ruby 1.8.5 on one machine and 1.8.6 on the other with Rails
2.3.2 on both.

I'm now getting an error on all of the 'rake makemo' tasks for the
various gems. Here's an example of the error when doing rake makemo
within the gettext directory:

$ rake makemo
(in /home/coutu/gt-build/gettext)
Warning: obsolete msgid exists.
#~ msgid "'%{file}' is not found."
Warning: obsolete msgid exists.
#~ msgstr "'%{file}' ble ikke funnet."
Warning: obsolete msgid exists.
#~ msgid "Ignored '%{file}'. Solve dependencies first."
Warning: obsolete msgid exists.
#~ msgstr "Ignorerte '%{file}'. Løs avhengigheter først."
Warning: obsolete msgid exists.
#~ msgid "No database is available."
Warning: obsolete msgid exists.
#~ msgstr "Ingen database er tilgjengelig."
Warning: obsolete msgid exists.
#~ msgid "rubygems are not found."
Warning: obsolete msgid exists.
#~ msgstr "rubygems ble ikke funnet."
rake aborted!
undefined method `bytesize' for "":String
/home/coutu/gt-build/gettext/Rakefile:65

Masao Mutoh

Apr 14, 2009, 12:50:54 PM4/14/09
to rails...@googlegroups.com, Dan Coutu
Hi,

String#bytesize seems not to suport older ruby.
I'll fix it.

BTW, I think it's better to discuss about ruby-gettext issues on
ruby-gettext ML or it's bug tracker on rubyforge.org.

http://rubyforge.org/projects/gettext/

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 12:01:36 -0400
--
Masao Mutoh <muto...@gmail.com>