Project planning tools?

Mike Pence

Jul 9, 2007, 5:31:47 PM7/9/07
to rails-b...@googlegroups.com
So, I used to use MS Project for the composition of those dreaded
Gantt charts, but it has been a few years since I had to be so formal.
Anything new and exciting -- and more robust than Basecamp --
happening in the world of project planning software?

Mike Pence
Mike Does Tech
http://mikepence.wordpress.com

Tim Case

Jul 9, 2007, 5:53:15 PM7/9/07
to Ruby on Rails meets the business world
As a matter of fact something new and exciting is happening in the
world of project planning sotware.

I've got my eye on Mingle.

http://studios.thoughtworks.com/mingle-project-intelligence

Anthony Eden

Jul 9, 2007, 6:55:33 PM7/9/07
to rails-b...@googlegroups.com
Omniplan FTW! :-)

That is, if you use a Mac and you need to do some fairly involved project schedules with time lines, subtasks, resource usage, etc.

V/r
Anthony
--
Cell: 808 782-5046
Current Location: Melbourne, FL

Alex Soto

Jul 10, 2007, 9:52:24 PM7/10/07
to Ruby on Rails meets the business world
Well for agile style software projects, Trac is a great tool <http://
trac.edgewall.org/>. Mingle looks good to, but not going to be free.

Alex

Nick Coyne

Jul 11, 2007, 12:04:36 AM7/11/07
to Ruby on Rails meets the business world
We've been using ProjectCards (www.projectcards.com) to manage our
agile projects, but its not great when you've got people on more than
one project and are trying to juggle their time.

So we're giving TargetProcess (www.targetprocess.com) a try. It seems
to have all the features and if its simple enough to use that our
whole team can manage then we'll probably make the switch.

Nick

Philip Hallstrom

Jul 11, 2007, 12:22:42 PM7/11/07
to Ruby on Rails meets the business world
Has anyone used http://www.redmine.org/ ?

I've got it setup locally, but honestly mostly to use SVN browsing from
time to time..

Jose Hurtado

Jul 11, 2007, 1:47:57 PM7/11/07
to rails-b...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

If you have a Mac, it's hard to beat OmniPlan on a desktop.

I used the previous version called PMX, Omni bought the code and improved on it.  It's solid, and very easy to use.  It imports MS Project so that is nice.

I have heard about FastTrack in Windows, but have never used it... it seem that on Windows MS Project has pretty much cornered the market.

I have tried Trac, but really prefer Basecamp ease of use much more, especially if you want a tool to communicate with your client and not just developers.

Jose Luis Hurtado
Project Manager / Web Developer
Trumpet Interactive
Toronto, Canada

On 7/9/07, Mike Pence <mike....@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Best Regards,

Jose Hurtado
Toronto, Canada

oren

Jul 18, 2007, 2:32:35 PM7/18/07
to Ruby on Rails meets the business world
I implemented a Kanban (cards in Japanese) system, based on the Lean
methodology.
The idea is to visualize the process, show the flow of the features in
the system
and discover the muda (waste in Japanese) and the bottle-necks (Theory
of Constrains).
Here is a picture of one of our projects - http://www.prosoa.com/lean/kanban.JPG
Each of our remote teams has a 'sticky body' - someone to moves their
cards on the board.

Thoughtworks has a new project management web-app
that can implement a web-based Kanban, It's called Mingle.
it was written in ruby on rails but with jruby (java implementation of
the ruby interpreter).
if you want to try it you need to email Thoughtworks (it's pre-beta
but stable).
I just installed it on my Uubntu (they have version for Windows).
You can implement the Kanban(cards) system easily with this stuff
because
you can drag and drop cards from one stage to another.

Working with Mingle (including videos):
http://www.infoq.com/news/2007/07/working_with_mingle

Mingle and jruby:
http://www.infoq.com/news/2007/05/mingle-big-win-jruby;jsessionid=6258995DD3734654852653ADBF6E7B58

Chirag Patel

Aug 5, 2007, 4:22:04 PM8/5/07
to Ruby on Rails meets the business world
Mike,
I've been using Mind Manager to manage projects because I can link my
notes, web pages, and external documents and visualize them all in a
very intuitive way. I keep my notes in Mind Manager. So, if 1
particular task in my project needs to link with one particular note
it's very easy and quick. It allows linking in a very granular way.

You can also assign priorities and resources and filter and view them
quickly. The biggest disadvantage is that due dates and durations are
not automatically updated because you cannot make one MM topic
dependent on the other. At least, I haven't figured it out yet.

There is a Gantt chart plug-in for Mindmanager which I've heard is
pretty good, but I haven't tried it:
http://www.illuminesoftware.co.uk/mm/pcproducts/jcvgantt/

Chirag

Brian Hogan

Aug 5, 2007, 10:40:09 PM8/5/07
to rails-b...@googlegroups.com
I use mindmanager for EVERYTHING related to documentation, from taking notes at meetings to doing outlines, requirement lists, and presentations. It's an incredible tool, and even more incredible if you have a tablet PC.

Never tried it for project management but it would work very well... has support for integration with MS Project.

Mike Pence

Aug 6, 2007, 9:33:22 AM8/6/07
to rails-b...@googlegroups.com
I am quite partial to <a
href="http://www.mindmeister.com">MindMeister</a> myself. I use it for
everything these days and it has become an invaluable trusted external
memory system.