Change requests

Nick Coyne

Jun 15, 2007, 1:12:18 AM6/15/07
to Ruby on Rails meets the business world
So one of the requirements in our Fortune 500 proposal, is a detailed
plan for change management. I'm guessing that the client will be
wanting to sign off each and every modification or update.

Working with Agile and Rails, change management isn't something we
normally consider too carefully during initial development - features
are scheduled into iterations and the client is always aware of what
is in which iteration. And if they want to change their mind, that's
just fine - we shuffle things around. So would I simply have a form
that signed off for any changes to the content of an iteration? Does
anyone have an example of such a form?

thx
Nick

Josh Knowles

Jun 15, 2007, 1:18:00 AM6/15/07
to rails-b...@googlegroups.com
On 6/14/07, Nick Coyne <nic....@gmail.com> wrote:

So one of the requirements in our Fortune 500 proposal, is a detailed
plan for change management. I'm guessing that the client will be
wanting to sign off each and every modification or update.

If you are wanting to follow an Agile/Iterative approach then one thing I've found to work well is having the client sign off on the stories going into each iteration during the weekly iteration planning.

--
Josh Knowles
joshk...@gmail.com

Robby Russell

Jun 18, 2007, 2:26:25 AM6/18/07
to rails-b...@googlegroups.com

Currently, when a client has a change request, it goes through a
series of discussions about why something needs to be changed. How
does it affect the rest of the existing application and where does it
fit into the road map. We often say no to some change requests
because they aren't supported with rationale for them, which our
process requires for any features to exist. This is our way of
working with our client to avoid the, "wouldn't it be cool if...?"
requests and keep the system focused on it's primary objectives. When
changes are necessary, they become new deliverables in an upcoming
iteration.

If the change impacts other areas of the application, there should be
some discussion/tracking of the dependencies it may affect. Not sure
that a form that a client would fill out... would work with our
process, aside from it being where a conversation begins. (example:
client posts an idea in a basecamp message)

Anyhow, that's how we currently handle it at PA.

Cheers,

Robby

--
Robby Russell
Founder and Executive Director

PLANET ARGON, LLC
Ruby on Rails Development, Consulting & Hosting

www.planetargon.com
www.robbyonrails.com

+1 503 445 2457
+1 877 55 ARGON [toll free]
+1 815 642 4068 [fax]

Nick Coyne

Jun 18, 2007, 11:27:18 AM6/18/07
to Ruby on Rails meets the business world
Moving slightly away from my original question... how does everyone
handle bugs after application launch compared with during app
development. Is their always a bug/issue tracking system that you use
for these things? How does one integrate this with agile processes?

Nick

Greg Newman

Jun 18, 2007, 1:06:44 PM6/18/07
to rails-b...@googlegroups.com
We do a 90 day bug fix, after that it's per hour.

-Greg