Performance of Railo Server on Resin?

Clint

Nov 16, 2009, 11:09:02 AM11/16/09
to Railo
I am curious about Railo Server in production on Resin (the bundled
download on getrailo.org): is the performance of Resin limited as
suggested by Caucho's documentation unless you pay for an appropriate
license or Resin?

Here's the URL on Caucho's site suggesting the performance limitations
to which I refer:

http://caucho.com/resin/doc/overview.xtp#resinpro

Thanks,

Clint

Peter Bell

Nov 16, 2009, 11:12:41 AM11/16/09
to ra...@googlegroups.com
I run about 70 websites on Railo and Resin on a Win2k3 64bit server
with 8Gb of RAM and have excellent performance. Not to say it wouldn't
be better if I used the professional version.

Best Wishes,
Peter

Gert Franz

Nov 16, 2009, 11:15:44 AM11/16/09
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Yes Resin is limited to one CPU if you use the open source version. The
Resin Pro is giving you the full power. But it is 700US$ per year, which is
to consider. On the other hand you can use Tomcat which is free and runs on
all CPU's available...

Gert

Nov 16, 2009, 11:19:09 AM11/16/09
to ra...@googlegroups.com
I have the same question. We're looking to put a bunch of production
mac servers online and still need to choose between resin and tomcat.

Emmet

Gert Franz

Nov 16, 2009, 11:28:35 AM11/16/09
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Emmet,

from my point of view: Resin is the better choice as a servlet engine. The
server is easier to configure and is a little more supporting in different
options like SES url's rewriting 'n stuff. You can of course use Apache in
front of it as well, but there are some things I wouldn't want to miss. But
Tomcat does the job as well and during the cash crisis a lot of companies
switched to Tomcat since they wanted to prevent the yearly subscription
costs of US$ 700.-

Greetings from Switzerland
Gert Franz

Railo Technologies Professional Open Source
skype: gert.franz ge...@getrailo.com
+41 76 5680 231 www.getrailo.com

Nov 16, 2009, 11:38:56 AM11/16/09
to ra...@googlegroups.com
I'm less concerned about resin vs tomat as a web server since these
machines are single cpu and they'll be using apache for ssl. Both
requirements put me within the non subscription area.

I guess my primary concern is end user complexity since these machines
will be handed off to customers. I really doubt we'll see one of
these machines with more than 30 small sites or one large site.

Emmet

Paul Kukiel

Nov 16, 2009, 11:43:49 AM11/16/09
to ra...@googlegroups.com
I also didn't notice resin was limited to 1 CPU. That being said I have had
no issues so far although my sites are not huge. Compared to CF I'm
actually using half the ram and CPU never seams to spike. I'm also using
resin behind Apache and I'm happy with it so far.

Paul.
http://blog.kukiel.net

"Fábio Jr."

Nov 16, 2009, 12:00:52 PM11/16/09
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Hello Clint,

Here we run Railo with resin, behind an Apache, using mod_caucho as a conector, in production servers behind a load balance using sticky-session. We have a system runing that have something about 10 milion accesses / month. Both railo and resin are open source version. Railo version is 3.1.1 and Resin version is 3.1.9. The only things that, for us, we think important in the licensed version is the clustering and ssl, that are unavaillable in open source version. But we choosed to not use these features.

We did some performance tests with tomcat, and the results points to tomcat as a "winner", with a little better performance results like requests/sec and time response. But the major reason to change to tomcat is the security question. Tomcat can run with non-privileged user, and this is an important question to consider.

[]s

    Fábio Jr.

Aaron Greenlee

Nov 16, 2009, 12:23:31 PM11/16/09
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for taking the time to share. Very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone

Jordan Michaels

Nov 16, 2009, 12:57:11 PM11/16/09
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Here's a version comparison table, if anyone is interested:
http://www.caucho.com/products/sales/

Note also that the 1-CPU limitation only goes up to Quad-cores. So if
you're running one of the new 6-cores, you'll need to buy a license.

I'm a pretty big Tomcat fan, personally.

Warm regards,
Jordan Michaels
Vivio Technologies
http://www.viviotech.net/
Open BlueDragon Steering Committee
Adobe Solution Provider

M B

Nov 16, 2009, 1:47:14 PM11/16/09
to Railo
I have Railo currently on resin (quad core CPU). It's reliable and
faster than CF. Never tried tomcat before but will test it this week
and stress it. And see who is the champion.

Regards
M B

On Nov 16, 6:57 pm, Jordan Michaels <jor...@viviotech.net> wrote:
> Here's a version comparison table, if anyone is interested:http://www.caucho.com/products/sales/
>
> Note also that the 1-CPU limitation only goes up to Quad-cores. So if
> you're running one of the new 6-cores, you'll need to buy a license.
>
> I'm a pretty big Tomcat fan, personally.
>
> Warm regards,
> Jordan Michaels
> Vivio Technologieshttp://www.viviotech.net/
> >> skype: gert.franz      g...@getrailo.com

Dave

Nov 16, 2009, 3:48:04 PM11/16/09
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Emmet, I am currently running a mac server with mine and would be curious to what you are going to use for a setup.

dave

Dave

Nov 16, 2009, 3:49:20 PM11/16/09
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Not too mention that mac servers themselves aren't exactly cheap! Mine was almost 7k.

Dave

Nov 16, 2009, 3:53:05 PM11/16/09
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Are these older servers? Mine has 2 processors - 8 cores.. which is one of the reason I went with tomcat.

Emmet McGovern

Nov 16, 2009, 4:32:38 PM11/16/09
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Mac Minis.   We like to call them Railo appliances.  :)  We can fit 16 in a 4u space on their sides.

Now this is really an apple to oranges comparison since we've been using adobe cf up til this point but...

We usually use VMWare for high density installations.  These seem to perform at least as good if not better since we have full multi core access along with 2gigs or more of ram.

Were still playing around with iscsi initiators for time machine backup but right now they are working great over smb.

-Emmet

Todd Rafferty

Nov 16, 2009, 4:35:10 PM11/16/09
to ra...@googlegroups.com
"Mac Minis. We like to call them Railo appliances. :)"

LOL

~Todd Rafferty ** Volunteer Railo Open Source Community Manager ** http://getrailo.org/

Dave

Nov 16, 2009, 4:58:28 PM11/16/09
to ra...@googlegroups.com
lol
My mom has my first "official" mac which was a ppc mini which she still uses.
I'm sure they would work great for a server though and I gotta admit sometimes my big dog seems a bit over board.

I'll tell ya time machine as saved my arse on the server now 2x, I have 3 hd's with one for time machine and it's already paid for the server in time I would have lost replacing things either myself or a client had deleted. The one a client deleted and I uploaded the files again but for whatever reason it just didn’t work right so hit time machine and restored and everything was was back to normal with 2 minutes.

Emmet McGovern

Nov 16, 2009, 5:26:35 PM11/16/09
to ra...@googlegroups.com
We never tried any of the xserves.  We have a crapload of enterprise level Dell.   If you told me last year that i would consider a mac mini to be a legit server I would have laughed.

We moved into VMWare after being entirely underwhelmed by Virtuozzo.   At the time it was a great move.  Datacenter costs have gone from a bandwidth model to a space and power model.  Unfortunately costs for these type of setups are exponentially greater than the benefit they provide sometimes.

Multi cpu/core, 32gig ram frontends at 670watts attached to storage arrays on top of the licensing to support them gets a little nuts.   The product you end up creating is a vm running on a partial core with 20-40gb of storage and 513mb to 1gb or ram.

Compare that to a mini at 25-40watts with  a 2.26 core 2 duo, 2gb of ram and 160gb hardrive with easy customer backup through time machine.  Throw a bunch of open source on and suddenly you could care less about the additional rack space and amperage.  All for the low low price of $599 and "Green" as grass.

Its a better performing machine than your standard vm will ever provide at a lower cost.

Regards,
Emmet McGovern
IT Support

Full City Media
12703 Sunset Ave. Ste 8
Ocean City, MD 21842

Dave

Nov 16, 2009, 5:53:42 PM11/16/09
to ra...@googlegroups.com
You can buy 1 mini server and get the unlimited server lic as well which is $499 by itself.

Who woulda thought back when Apple came out with the mini that it could be a viable server!

James Holmes

Nov 16, 2009, 6:51:27 PM11/16/09
to ra...@googlegroups.com
2009/11/17 Jordan Michaels <jor...@viviotech.net>:

> I'm a pretty big Tomcat fan, personally.

I though Tomcat was OK until I tried to do SES URLs with it. Nightmare.

mxAjax / CFAjax docs and other useful articles:
http://www.bifrost.com.au/blog/

Jordan Michaels

Nov 16, 2009, 7:09:50 PM11/16/09
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I know what you mean. In the future though, the difficulty can
probably be overcome eventually with the right filter. It'll be
interesting to see how that evolves.

Warm regards,
Jordan Michaels
Vivio Technologies
http://www.viviotech.net/
Open BlueDragon Steering Committee
Adobe Solution Provider

Tony G

Nov 16, 2009, 11:00:18 PM11/16/09
to Railo
Check out JBoss Web (http://www.jboss.org/jbossweb/).

It's basically Tomcat 6 with url rewriting built in

http://labs.jboss.com/file-access/default/members/jbossweb/freezone/docs/latest/rewrite.html

-Tony

On Nov 16, 7:09 pm, Jordan Michaels <jor...@viviotech.net> wrote:
> Yeah, I know what you mean. In the future though, the difficulty can
> probably be overcome eventually with the right filter. It'll be
> interesting to see how that evolves.
>
> Warm regards,
> Jordan Michaels
> Vivio Technologieshttp://www.viviotech.net/

Ronan Lucio

Nov 30, 2009, 7:05:40 AM11/30/09
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Clint,

2009/11/16 Clint <clint...@gmail.com>
Choose Tomcat!
Resin OpenSource has a limitation: It only runs as root user, that isn't a good choice for security concerns.

Tomcat is a real OpenSource solution and works as good as Resin OpenSource.

Ronan

Sergiy Galashyn

Nov 30, 2009, 6:08:22 PM11/30/09
to Railo
> Resin OpenSource has a limitation: It only runs as root user

This is not really true.

Resin OSS does not allow to configure the user to run, but you can (a)
run it manually (b) set up the rc.d script to run it from needed user.

For example, it is pretty easy to do in Debian/Ubuntu. I do it this
way (as root):

1. Creating the modified copy of /opt/railo/bin/httpd.sh in /etc/
init.d/caucho

==== start file ====
#! /bin/sh
#
# resin.sh can be called like apachectl
#
# resin.sh -- execs resin in the foreground
# resin.sh start -- starts resin in the background
# resin.sh stop -- stops resin
# resin.sh restart -- restarts resin
#
# resin.sh will return a status code if the wrapper detects an error,
but
# some errors, like bind exceptions or Java errors, are not detected.
#
# chkconfig: 345 86 14
# processname: java
#
# To install, you'll need to configure JAVA_HOME and RESIN_HOME and
# copy httpd.sh to /etc/rc.d/init.d as resin. Then
# use "unix# /sbin/chkconfig resin on"
#
# trace script and simlinks to find thw wrapper
#

su -l r2d2 -c "exec java -jar /opt/railo/lib/resin.jar $*"

==== end file ====

2. Enabling Railo start on reboot:

cd /etc/init.d/
update-rc.d caucho defaults 51