Express run ok on pen drive

zac123

Jan 30, 2011, 2:25:36 PM1/30/11
to Railo
hope this isnt a silly question but will express version run from a
pen drive?

id like to make all my development work portable because i work
between so many different PCs.

using CFeclipse which works geat from a pen drive.
zac

Andrew Penhorwood

Jan 30, 2011, 4:04:13 PM1/30/11
to zac123
zac123,

Yes, I have Jetty running on a USB harddrive and a flash drive.

Andrew Penhorwood

--
Best regards,
Andrew Penhorwood

zac123

Jan 30, 2011, 4:06:47 PM1/30/11
to Railo
cool thanks Andrew. sounds like i can be truly mobile.
> and...@coldbits.comwww.coldbits.com              336-501-0958        336-501-0958cell

AJ Mercer

Jan 30, 2011, 5:38:32 PM1/30/11
to ra...@googlegroups.com
... and if you use H2 or HSQLDB you can have a database running as well
--

AJ Mercer
<webonix:net strength="Industrial" /> | <webonix:org community="Open" />

Gerald Guido

Jan 30, 2011, 5:42:44 PM1/30/11
to ra...@googlegroups.com
I have been doing the portable apps thing for years.... I have my entire dev environment on a thumb drive.

I have a couple pre-configured all-in-one packages with Railo/Apache/MySQL/PHP here
http://code.google.com/p/railoapacheportable/

They are for Windows BTW.

I have not tried in a while but they should run on a thumb drive. In theory at least.
http://code.google.com/p/railoapacheportable/downloads/list

UniServer_Railo_safe.rar is the most recent on. It uses Uniform Server.

http://www.uniformserver.com/

The UniServer download site has a bunch of stand-alone servers/apps Link MySQL and Apache
http://sourceforge.net/projects/miniserver/files/MiniServer/

HTH
G!
--
Gerald Guido
http://www.myinternetisbroken.com

"Wait. We can't stop here. This is bat country."
-- HST

zac123

Feb 3, 2011, 11:16:13 AM2/3/11
to Railo
this is brilliant!

i used this one: http://code.google.com/p/railoapacheportable/
because it has mysql where as the other one doesnt appear to.

you should call this XRAMP!

how did you actually go about making this this all work?

P.S THANKYOU

On Jan 30, 10:42 pm, Gerald Guido <gerald.gu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been doing the portable apps thing for years.... I have my entire dev
> environment on a thumb drive.
>
> I have a couple pre-configured all-in-one packages with
> Railo/Apache/MySQL/PHP herehttp://code.google.com/p/railoapacheportable/
>
> They are for Windows BTW.
>
> I have not tried in a while but they should run on a thumb drive. In theory
> at least.http://code.google.com/p/railoapacheportable/downloads/list
>
> UniServer_Railo_safe.rar is the most recent on. It uses Uniform Server.
>
> http://www.uniformserver.com/
>
> The UniServer download site has a bunch of stand-alone servers/apps Link
> MySQL and Apachehttp://sourceforge.net/projects/miniserver/files/MiniServer/
>
> HTH
> G!
>

> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 4:06 PM, zac123 <z...@allied-facilities.com> wrote:
> > cool thanks Andrew. sounds like i can be truly mobile.
>
> > On Jan 30, 9:04 pm, Andrew Penhorwood <and...@coldbits.com> wrote:
> > > zac123,
>
> > > Yes, I have Jetty running on a USB harddrive and a flash drive.
>
> > > Andrew Penhorwood

> > > --
> > > Best regards,
> > > Andrew Penhorwood
> > > and...@coldbits.comwww.coldbits.com              <tel:+13365010958>
> > 336-501-0958 <tel:+13365010958>         <tel:+13365010958>336-501-0958<tel:+13365010958>
> > cell
>
> --
> Gerald Guidohttp://www.myinternetisbroken.com
>
> "Wait. We can't stop here. This is bat country."
> -- HST- Hide quoted text -

Gerald Guido

Feb 3, 2011, 3:59:41 PM2/3/11
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Thanx, I am glad that someone got some use out of it.

I am a bit hazy on the details but the key was making everything use relative paths. That is why Railo is in the root and not in it's own folder. I am sure there is a more elegant way to do it but I did not go down that route.

In resin.conf I pointed the default web app to the Apache root dir (htdocs)
=============

    <!-- configures the default host, matching any host name -->
    <host id="" root-directory=".">
      <!--
         - configures an explicit root web-app matching the
         - webapp's ROOT
        -->
      <web-app id="/" root-directory="htdocs"/>

      <web-app id="/resin-admin" root-directory="${resin.home}/php/admin">
        <!--
           - Administration application /resin-admin
           -
           - password is the md5 hash of the password.
           - localhost is true to limit access to the localhost
          -->
        <prologue>
          <resin:set var="resin_admin_password"  value=""/>
          <resin:set var="resin_admin_localhost" value="true"/>
        </prologue>
      </web-app>
    </host>
  </cluster>
=============

I placed mod_caucho.dll in the modules dir and placed the following in httpd.conf

=============
LoadModule caucho_module  modules/mod_caucho.dll

ResinConfigServer localhost 6800
<Location /caucho-status>
SetHandler caucho-status
</Location>
=============

Added index.cfm to the directory indexes

=============
DirectoryIndex index.cfm index.php index.pl index.cgi index.asp
=============

And then rewrote the XAMPP bat files to run and remove Railo as a service so the there was nothing in the task bar.

I think that is it.

Actually I much prefer Uniserver these days and when I get the time (yeah right) I want to add the ability to stop and start Railo from within Uniserver's UniTray Plugin. That would be sha-weet. The UniTray Plugin uses a combination of bat files and php scripts (ran against php.exe) to handle most of the set up, configuration and administrative chores for Apache, MySQL and so on. It is pretty spiffy how they did it. I learned a lot studying it.

G!
--
Gerald Guido

zac123

Feb 3, 2011, 4:26:04 PM2/3/11
to Railo
well there's no way i could have put that together. thanks again.

i'm nearly there being totally mobile!

interstongly this works perfectly on my work PC but on my net book
Railo fails to start and says that Railo could not be installed as an
NT service ?

Gerald Guido

Feb 3, 2011, 4:34:45 PM2/3/11
to ra...@googlegroups.com
If you are on Vista or Win7 you have to run it as Administrator Try right clicking on the bat file an select "Run as Administrator".

HTH
G!
--
Gerald Guido

zac123

Feb 3, 2011, 4:42:01 PM2/3/11
to Railo
no XP, have got my hands on W7 yet

Gerald Guido

Feb 3, 2011, 4:56:28 PM2/3/11
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Donno, I will have to fire up my lappy end look at it on XP mode.

As a guess, are their any spaces in the path to railo? That might do it.

Ex: C:\Program Files\raiolDir

G!
--
Gerald Guido

zac123

Feb 3, 2011, 5:10:57 PM2/3/11
to Railo
no i thought that. but its here:

D:\XRAMP\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\railo

which i think is pretty much the same as when i downloaded it.

zac123

Feb 3, 2011, 5:16:03 PM2/3/11
to Railo
got it. i think it was my AV/FW program. swittched it off and
restarted my netbook and it working, yippeee!

thanks again