RadioDNS and RadioEPG Specification releases: v1.0.0-DRAFT

Ben Poor

Aug 11, 2011, 7:12:23 AM8/11/11
to radiodns-...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

We are pleased to announce the release of draft specifications v1.0.0
for RadioDNS and RadioEPG.

This is a significant step forward for the RadioDNS project, as it
adds the functionality necessary to enable RadioDNS application
discovery from IP-based audio services.

Both are being released as a package as RadioEPG provides support for
the discovery process, as well as detailing methods for supporting
Service Following on devices, enabling Hybrid Radio behaviour.

These changes to the RadioDNS specification are key to the success of
the RadioDNS project as a whole and so I would strongly urge you to
give it close consideration. All changes are highlighted and comments
explaining the change are attached as PDF comments.

In particular, the following questions will need to be considered:

* Are the methods of transporting in in-band metadata compatible with
the way you currently stream audio?
* Is the use of the 'icy-url' HTTP response for transporting in-band
metadata for the Shoutcast protocol likely to cause issues for
particular encoders / client devices?
* What additional streaming protocols should be considered in this, or
future specifications?

It is vitally important that we all examine the implications these
changes would have, as well as whether they fully support our
ambitions.

The proposed documentation can be found at:
http://radiodns.org/documentation#proposed

Please reply to this mail with any feedback.

Kind Regards,

Ben Poor
ben....@radiodns.org