Backplane soldering?

Peter Hiltz

Dec 29, 2021, 3:59:34 PM12/29/21
to Radioberry
All,

First, thanks to Johan and Ram for their great advice and work to get the software to run under gcc-10.  With their help, and the group's suggestion to turn off the CW in pihdsdr, I seem to be connected and strong line in the middle of the display is gone.  However, the display, both on pihdsdr on the pi and sparkSDR on a different machine, shows no receive.  There is no noise floor and nothing seen from my antenna.

Reading the group indicates this may be due to poor solder connections under the chips but before I attack that I wanted to query the group for other suggestions.  Changing configuration settings in pihdsdr does nothing, which might be expected.

I've included a picture of the back with two more to follow due to size issues.  Might this be an older board and therefore need a software adjustment?

I have low temp solder paste and a heat gun, and planned to use it in the two areas, but I'm not an expert at small soldering, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and 73,  Pete

20211229_155212.jpg

Peter Hiltz

Dec 29, 2021, 4:00:08 PM12/29/21
to Radioberry
Picture two.
20211229_153742.jpg

Peter Hiltz

Dec 29, 2021, 4:00:46 PM12/29/21
to Radioberry
Picture three.

On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 3:59:34 PM UTC-5 Peter Hiltz wrote:
20211229_153711.jpg

pa3gsb

Dec 30, 2021, 3:42:19 AM12/30/21
to Radioberry
Pete

Is the gateware loaded?

When connected to the internet... it should be possible for everyone to see the status?

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Peter Hiltz

Dec 30, 2021, 9:16:08 AM12/30/21
to Radioberry
All,
It's alive!  (Apologies to the original Frankenstein movie)

Here is a summary of what happened, what I'll suggest Johan consider, and what my next steps are.

First, thanks again to Johan and Ram for their help.  Launching a project like this into the wild is hard, and there is always a support tail.

I bought a new RPi4 from Canakit and a radioberry board from a Chinese source.  I used the recommended Raspian OS (32 bit) using the imager software.  It loaded gcc-10.2.1 and installed Johan's install script with errors, but still claimed success.  This process was consistent across multiple installations of the software.  The command "sudo radioberry" returned that 'radioberry' was not found.
The initial issue was pihpsdr did not find the radioberry, and neither did sparkSDR.  After a detailed look at the output of the installation script, both fatal errors and warnings were noted, leading to the conclusion that there was an upgrade in the RPi distribution, specifically, the C compiler.
Work was done to remove the fatal errors (thanks Johan!) but the warnings remained and while the radioberry was now found by software, there was no signal detected.
I then removed gcc-10 and installed gcc-9, and though 'gcc --version' did not return correctly, the install script ran without error or warning and now the device works.
Luckily, there was no need to threaten the radioberry with my heat gun to reflow under the chips.

I would like to suggest the install script be updated for gcc-10.  At this time, any new RPi OS install will install gcc-10 and so break for any new folks.  I'm happy to be a beta tester.

My next steps are first, continue to dig into pihpsdr software to understand what I can do with it and second, hunt down a preamp board and or the juice board.  The goal is to build a portable qrp rig.

Thoughts and suggestions happily accepted.

73, and Happy New Year,

Pete
WV3S

pa3gsb

Dec 30, 2021, 10:15:52 AM12/30/21
to Radioberry
Pete

Is the dev release not working with gcc10?

Strange i have updated the repo to make it compliant with gcc10.

Please provide the  installation log.

73 Johan
PA3GSB

Peter

Dec 30, 2021, 11:56:27 AM12/30/21
to Radioberry
Does anyone try the latest pihpsdr?I use the script from  PA3GSB on github,but there are no sound card to output on my RPI4, so no sound can be hear.