KSM QSO NTTH (and KKUI)

Richard Dillman

Nov 21, 2009, 10:24:56 PM11/21/09
to Radiomarine, Boatanchors, Radio Officers

It was a busy day at KSM.

Bill Ruck of the Transmitter Department mustered a skilled crew of volunteers to continue with the restoration of a run of 4-wire out to a V-beam. When completed, this project will allow us to show the type of feed line used for all the many dozens of antennas once at the site. A full report (with photos) will follow.

While Bill and his crew were "out standing in their field" the ship calling frequencies were being scanned at Position 1. Sure enough a nice strong signal was heard from USS Cassin Young/NTTH on the 12Mc worldwide calling channel. After a bit of back and forth NTTH sent the traffic they had on the hook.

The best part was that SS American Victory/KKUI was also active. Not being able to hear NTTH on 12Mc they also called on the same calling frequency. For the first time in a long time we had QRM on the calling channel. I gave KKUI a QRY1 and he stood by until we cleared with NTTH.

KKUI hoped to QSO NTTH but I don't think that happened today. However the signals from both were good so with the selection of another frequency I suspect this could happen.

KSM press, weather and the traffic list were sent as usual. We also have several visitors which added to the fun.

With NTTH joining the list of ships active on commercial frequencies the activity continues to increase on these channels.

VY 73,

RD

Richard Dillman, W6AWO
Chief Operator, Coast Station KSM