Radiant RC on gemcutter and heroku

Jonathan Kinney

Dec 8, 2009, 2:01:36 AM12/8/09
to radiant...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

I was playing around with Heroku for the first time last night and I
really like the git centric workflow. It makes it really easy to get
an app pushed out to production. After some research and
experimentation I was able to successfully publish a 0.8.1 Radiant
site, but I couldn't get 0.9.0 RC 1 to work.

I created a new radiant site with with sqlite3 using my installed
version of the Radiant RC, and then I did all the steps to get it
pushed to git and in my .gems manifest I specified "radiant-rc" which
I was able to track down on gemcutter.org. During the push to remote
Heroku appears to have successfully installed the rc version of the
gem, but then Radiant wont' start complaining about the version not
being specified in the environment.rb. I of course tried specifying
RADIANT_GEM_VERSION="0.9.0" to no avail.

Here is my test url: http://radiant-sunrise-90.heroku.com/

Is there a way to deploy Radiant RC1 to Heroku?

Thanks!
-Jon

john muhl

Dec 10, 2009, 1:24:22 PM12/10/09
On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 1:01 AM, Jonathan Kinney <jonk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I created a new radiant site with with sqlite3 using my installed
> version of the Radiant RC, and then I did all the steps to get it
> pushed to git and in my .gems manifest I specified "radiant-rc" which
> I was able to track down on gemcutter.org. During the push to remote
> Heroku appears to have successfully installed the rc version of the
> gem, but then Radiant wont' start complaining about the version not
> being specified in the environment.rb. I of course tried specifying
> RADIANT_GEM_VERSION="0.9.0" to no avail.
>
> Here is my test url: http://radiant-sunrise-90.heroku.com/
>
> Is there a way to deploy Radiant RC1 to Heroku?

have you tried freezing your app to radiant 0.9 instead of using the
gem? you also need to run your app in production locally, hit the
admin ui in order to create the concatenated admin javascript file and
commit that js file to your repo. otherwise you will get errors
related to the heroku read-only file system and trying to create files
outside of tmp.

tekknikk

Jan 8, 2010, 2:38:11 PM1/8/10
to Radiant CMS: Dev
I just got radiant edge running on Heroku. Running it in production
mode locally before deploying to heroku worked a treat. Thanks.

Jonathan Kinney

Feb 8, 2010, 1:52:52 PM2/8/10
to radiant...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I recently got edge running on heroku as well. The trick, as John
mentioned is to freeze to edge and then spin up the app locally in
production mode (./script/server -e production) then browse to /admin
and that will generate the necessary admin.js file which you can add
to git and then deploy to heroku.

Note: I still bootstrapped to development (since heroku pushes your
dev db to prod with the taps gem) but just fired up the server in
production mode and navigated to /admin. It doesn't matter that there
isn't a local prod database, yea radiant will have errors and blank
white pages, etc... but we just need to go to /admin to make radiant
gen that js file!

The other gotcha is to make sure you remove all .git and .gitignore
and .gitsubmodule files/directories from any plugin you have
installed. Otherwise heroku will puke.

Thanks again John for the tip!

Sean Cribbs

Feb 8, 2010, 6:42:59 PM2/8/10
to radiant...@googlegroups.com
It seems reasonable to build admin.js as part of our gem task. Does
someone have a moment to add a github issue for this?

Sean

john muhl

Feb 8, 2010, 6:51:58 PM2/8/10
to radiant...@googlegroups.com

john muhl

Feb 8, 2010, 6:53:41 PM2/8/10
to radiant...@googlegroups.com
would it be worth it to minify the generated all.js in the same process?