Towards Rack 1.0 / Introducing the Rack Core Team

Christian Neukirchen

Dec 24, 2008, 6:43:52 AM12/24/08
to Rack Development

Today, I'd like to make some important announcements.

1) The next release of Rack will be version 0.9 and I want it to be
released as soon as possible (January 2009 would be best, but I see
there are some parts that still need polishing). Please send patches
you want in there. This will be the last release of 0.x (apart from
possible bug fix releases).

2) Rack 1.0 will follow soon after, and there will some significant changes:

* This is the chance to make possibly incompatible
changes/enhancements to the code and the spec. Please propose now!

* I want full and first-class 1.9 support, thus the spec will need to
be adjusted for that. (String#each, Unicode, etc.)

* I want the Rails 2.3 release to work with Rack 1.0, so we will need
to coordinate releases.

* Rack has become an important part of the Ruby infrastructure and
should be managed as such. Thus I have founded the Rack Core Team,
which consists of:

* Christian Neukirchen (chneukirchen)
* James Tucker (raggi)
* Josh Peek (josh)
* Michael Fellinger (manveru)
* Ryan Tomayko (rtomayko)
* Scytrin dai Kinthra (scytrin)

The Rack Core Team has write access to the official Rack
repositories, which now reside at Github:

http://github.com/rack/

and will drive future development of Rack. Thumbs up for their
encouragement!

Happy Holidays,
--
Christian Neukirchen <chneuk...@gmail.com> http://chneukirchen.org

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

Dec 24, 2008, 2:46:31 PM12/24/08
to rack-...@googlegroups.com

Sweet! 3 cheers for the rack core team.

-Ezra

Matt Todd

Dec 24, 2008, 3:06:16 PM12/24/08
to rack-...@googlegroups.com
Very cool!

Can part of this initiative include some sort of ticket managing app like Lighthouse for Rack? I'd like to go to a central place to get a good idea of what people would like to see implemented or have issues with to know where to put some time in to help improve it.

Just my preference.

Matt
--
Matt Todd
Highgroove Studios

Scout - Web Monitoring and Reporting Software
www.scoutapp.com

Ryan Tomayko

Dec 24, 2008, 3:16:57 PM12/24/08
to rack-...@googlegroups.com
On 12/24/08 3:43 AM, Christian Neukirchen wrote:
> Today, I'd like to make some important announcements.

Let's do it. I'm pumped.

Ryan

Christian Neukirchen

Dec 24, 2008, 4:14:09 PM12/24/08
to rack-...@googlegroups.com
"Matt Todd" <chio...@gmail.com> writes:

> Very cool!
>
> Can part of this initiative include some sort of ticket managing app like
> Lighthouse for Rack? I'd like to go to a central place to get a good idea of
> what people would like to see implemented or have issues with to know where to
> put some time in to help improve it.
>
> Just my preference.
>
> Matt

Sounds good... which one? Lighthouse, Google Code, Rubyforge?

Michael Klishin

Dec 24, 2008, 4:23:59 PM12/24/08
to rack-...@googlegroups.com

On 25.12.2008, at 0:14, Christian Neukirchen wrote:

> Sounds good... which one? Lighthouse, Google Code, Rubyforge?

A lot of people in the Ruby community have a LH account already, and
frankly, Rubyforge is awful for nearly anything (IMO).
Google Code is tied to Subversion. GitHub has fair integration with
LightHouse.

Lets use LH, shall we?

MK

Christian Neukirchen

Dec 24, 2008, 5:25:41 PM12/24/08
to rack-...@googlegroups.com

Matt Todd

Dec 24, 2008, 5:34:48 PM12/24/08
to rack-...@googlegroups.com
We should also make one for rack-contrib I think. No need to mix issues dealing with the contributed middleware with the rest of Rack.

Matt

James Tucker

Dec 24, 2008, 11:39:45 PM12/24/08
to rack-...@googlegroups.com

On 24 Dec 2008, at 17:14, Christian Neukirchen wrote:

> "Matt Todd" <chio...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Very cool!
>>
>> Can part of this initiative include some sort of ticket managing
>> app like
>> Lighthouse for Rack? I'd like to go to a central place to get a
>> good idea of
>> what people would like to see implemented or have issues with to
>> know where to
>> put some time in to help improve it.
>>
>> Just my preference.
>>
>> Matt
>
> Sounds good... which one? Lighthouse, Google Code, Rubyforge?

Pivotal?

Matt Todd

Dec 25, 2008, 1:06:08 AM12/25/08
to rack-...@googlegroups.com
Pivotal Tracker? I've never used it for an open source project, though that sounds like an interesting idea.

Matt

--
Christian Neukirchen  <chneuk...@gmail.com>  http://chneukirchen.org

Yehuda Katz

Dec 25, 2008, 1:20:57 AM12/25/08
to rack-...@googlegroups.com
Pivotal Tracker can't be used (presently) in an open enough fashion to use it on OSS. We *strongly* considered using it for Merb, but you have to manually invite each user for them to be able to view it. Perhaps if we expressed interest to them, they'd add OSS capabilities.

-- Yehuda
--
Yehuda Katz
Developer | Engine Yard

Christian Neukirchen

Dec 25, 2008, 6:08:49 AM12/25/08
to rack-...@googlegroups.com
"Yehuda Katz" <wyc...@gmail.com> writes:

> Pivotal Tracker can't be used (presently) in an open enough fashion to use it
> on OSS. We *strongly* considered using it for Merb, but you have to manually
> invite each user for them to be able to view it. Perhaps if we expressed
> interest to them, they'd add OSS capabilities.
>
> -- Yehuda

I'd prefer something open, with low-as-possible effort to report bugs.

James Tucker

Dec 25, 2008, 8:33:17 AM12/25/08
to rack-...@googlegroups.com

On 25 Dec 2008, at 07:08, Christian Neukirchen wrote:

> "Yehuda Katz" <wyc...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Pivotal Tracker can't be used (presently) in an open enough fashion
>> to use it
>> on OSS. We *strongly* considered using it for Merb, but you have to
>> manually
>> invite each user for them to be able to view it. Perhaps if we
>> expressed
>> interest to them, they'd add OSS capabilities.
>>
>> -- Yehuda
>
> I'd prefer something open, with low-as-possible effort to report bugs.

Agreed :-)