Unicorn/Rainbows!/Zbatery "support" in rack.git...

Eric Wong

Apr 14, 2011, 4:36:02 AM4/14/11
to rack-...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I'm the main support/helpdesk guy and project leader for
Unicorn/Rainbows!/Zbatery servers. I believe
dff8e34f43c2897062d5b252406398ced2d360a8 to add handlers for these
servers is a bad change for everyone.

All three servers support Rack natively and were designed around the
Rack spec. However the (sometimes minor) differences in using "rackup"
vs the shipped commands will cause confusion among both users and
developers trying to support them.

All three servers also rely on Unix signals for management, so their
names in the process table is also an important part of the user
experience.

Unlike typical web servers, Unicorn should never be directly exposed to
slow clients, but a user just trying it with "rackup" would never be
informed of that (especially since other servers like
Mongrel/Thin/WEBrick don't have this limitation).

Rainbows! and Zbatery are also completely worthless without a
configuration file, but "rackup" has no way of conveying that to the
user. The user would just be left with an even worse version
of Unicorn.

I'm also under the impression that nobody uses Rainbows! or Zbatery,
yet, so I'd rather users' first impressions of those projects be
through the officially-supported and documented commands.

Thanks for reading, I hope you agree and revert the change.

--
Eric Wong

Aaron Patterson

Apr 14, 2011, 12:20:44 PM4/14/11
to rack-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Eric,

I've reverted the commit. Thanks for letting us know.

--
Aaron Patterson
http://tenderlovemaking.com/

Eric Wong

Apr 14, 2011, 3:48:57 PM4/14/11
to rack-...@googlegroups.com
Aaron Patterson <aa...@tenderlovemaking.com> wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I've reverted the commit. Thanks for letting us know.

Thanks Aaron!