[rabbitmq-discuss] looking for a javascript library recommendation

Jeff Hinrichs

Feb 16, 2011, 12:14:18 AM2/16/11
to rabbitmq...@lists.rabbitmq.com
Looking for recommendations for js libraries to communicate with RabbitMQ.

expected usage patterns: Topic based exchanges, mostly consuming, some rpc
desirable attributes: fewer dependencies are a plus,  no problems co-existing with jquery, actively developed, good community/docs

Best,

-Jeff

Alexis Richardson

Feb 16, 2011, 2:47:51 PM2/16/11
to Jeff Hinrichs, rabbitmq...@lists.rabbitmq.com
Jeff

I shan't dare to recommend something but you might want to consider:
http://www.rabbitmq.com/blog/2010/11/12/rabbitmq-nodejs-rabbitjs/

I am not sure if this addresses your needs. If it does not then let
us know, since there are other options.

alexis

Max Bridgewater

Feb 16, 2011, 2:58:29 PM2/16/11
to Alexis Richardson, rabbitmq...@lists.rabbitmq.com
Alex,

It seems to me that Jeff is looking for a Javascript client for
RabbitMQ. Nodejs, however is server side. Am I maybe misunderstanding
something?

Max.

Alexis Richardson

Feb 16, 2011, 3:00:13 PM2/16/11
to Max Bridgewater, rabbitmq...@lists.rabbitmq.com
Max - thank-you.

Jeff,

How about - http://www.rabbitmq.com/plugins.html#rabbitmq-jsonrpc-channel
?

alexis

Jeff Hinrichs

Feb 16, 2011, 3:59:31 PM2/16/11
to rabbitmq...@lists.rabbitmq.com
On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Jeff Hinrichs <je...@delasco.com> wrote:

-Jeff

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 2:00 PM, Alexis Richardson <ale...@rabbitmq.com> wrote:
Max - thank-you.

Jeff,

How about - http://www.rabbitmq.com/plugins.html#rabbitmq-jsonrpc-channel
?

alexis

Alexis,
Thanks for your suggestions.  I took a look but didn't see any examples or articles about interacting with the jsonrpc/rabbmitmq channel.  I'm off to google for them now.  If you have any handy, I would appreciate it!

Best,
Jeff
Jeff

Alexis Richardson

Feb 16, 2011, 4:29:32 PM2/16/11
to Jeff Hinrichs, rabbitmq...@lists.rabbitmq.com
There should be some sample client code in the hg repo ... is that not the case?

Michael Bridgen

Feb 16, 2011, 6:15:28 PM2/16/11
to rabbitmq...@lists.rabbitmq.com
> It seems to me that Jeff is looking for a Javascript client for
> RabbitMQ. Nodejs, however is server side. Am I maybe misunderstanding
> something?

rabbit.js is indeed written for node.js, but it enables the Socket.IO
library on clients to speak to RabbitMQ, in effect. However it is
toyware right now, and doesn't support topic routing.

There's also rabbit-socks, which is being actively worked on and is
intended to support STOMP-over-websockets(/Socket.IO) among other
things, in the not-too-distant future. That's probably a better fit if
you can wait, Jeff.

Oh and there's rabbitmq-jsonrpc-channel, which is available now but not
being actively worked on, except to keep it up-to-date with RabbitMQ API
changes.

Michael