Limiting navigation options on edit templates

Peter Van Garderen

Feb 2, 2010, 12:29:07 PM2/2/10
to qubit-dev
As part of the CSS cleanup, Jack has hidden the main menu and context menu for
the edit templates.

This is addressing the problem where a user navigates away from the edit
template before submitting their form data (thereby losing any data-entry they
were working on).

Another design option would be to create a modal effect where the other menu
options are greyed out and only the edit form is active. Similar to the Lightbox
effect. This will likely be more difficult to implement but will also be less
disorienting to the user than the current method of removing menus.

Any other design options? I've created a section on the Usability page for this:
http://qubit-toolkit.org/wiki/index.php?title=Usability_review#User_navigates_away_from_page_before_saving_form_data

Cheers,

--peter

Evelyn McLellan

Feb 2, 2010, 7:45:37 PM2/2/10
to qubi...@googlegroups.com
I like the idea of greying out the menu options rather than removing them altogether. However, it would be good to retain the ability to expand and collapse objects in the hierarchy treeview while in the edit screen, if possible.

Evelyn

Jesús García Crespo

Feb 11, 2010, 12:52:31 PM2/11/10
to qubi...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure what I prefer in this case, but If we are hiding
something, I think that it should be omitted in the server. Right now,
when you go to ISAD edit page, for example, the treeview is run but
hiden with CSS display property. This would increase load times.

Regards,

--
Jesús García Crespo

David at Artefactual

Feb 11, 2010, 6:14:44 PM2/11/10
to Qubit Toolkit Developers
What about drag-n-drop behaviour on the treeview - should it be
allowed on the edit screen? Somehow it seems sort of natural to re-
parent an object while editing it. I assume it's possible to re-
parent on the show screen?

--
David Juhasz,
Software Engineer, Artefactual Systems Inc.

Jesús García Crespo

Feb 12, 2010, 4:26:51 AM2/12/10
to qubi...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:14 AM, David at Artefactual
<da...@artefactual.com> wrote:
> What about drag-n-drop behaviour on the treeview - should it be
> allowed on the edit screen?  Somehow it seems sort of natural to re-
> parent an object while editing it.   I assume it's possible to re-
> parent on the show screen?

I agree, users probably want to reparent an object while editing.
Treeview is available on show page.

This reminds me to one user who asked us to make possible to reparent
items with others from different trees, something that wouldn't be
possible right now with treeview drag-n-drop. I thought there was an
issue but I can't find it.

Peter Van Garderen

Feb 15, 2010, 12:58:59 PM2/15/10
to qubi...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I agree, the treeview should be available on the edit template. We still
need to talk about where/how we are going to provide an option to re-parent into
another collection, that should probably also be available from the edit
template. We need to discuss these design options at the UI meeting (schedule
for tomorrow).

--peter

peterVG

Feb 15, 2010, 1:36:09 PM2/15/10
to Qubit Toolkit Developers
I also think that, unless we are able to produce some kind of Lightbox
dialog form effect, we should still be displaying the main menu for
consistency sake. It may be too much dev effort prior to release 1.1
to grey-out/disable the main menu when in edit templates? I think our
dev effort may be better spent on other critical 1.1 issues.

--peter

Jesús García Crespo

Feb 15, 2010, 1:39:19 PM2/15/10
to qubi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 7:36 PM, peterVG <vangarde...@gmail.com> wrote:
I also think that, unless we are able to produce some kind of Lightbox
dialog form effect, we should still be displaying the main menu for
consistency sake. It may be too much dev effort prior to release 1.1
to grey-out/disable the main menu when in edit templates? I think our
dev effort may be better spent on other critical 1.1 issues.

The fastest solution I have in mind is something like...

$('*').not(editForm).css('opacity', '.4'); // Is this crazy?

Regards,

--
Jesús García Crespo