general search returning incorrect number of hits, due to actor/repository search

1 view

Tim Hutchinson

Apr 20, 2011, 6:48:11 PM4/20/11
to qubit-dev
Hi,

I noticed that the general search box seems to be searching actors and
repositories in addition to information objects - but since only
information objects are linked as search results, the hit count is wrong.

To replicate this on the demo site, try adding something like "Timbuktu
University Archives" as an archival institution. A general search for
timbuktu will then return "results 1 to 1 of 1", but there's no content.

Similarly, add an authority record like "Voldemort, Lord" (i.e. anything
that won't otherwise yield a hit!). Same results. If you make Lord
Voldemort a creator of a descriptions, 2 hits will be indicated, with
the (1) linked description appearing.

On the other hand, I can't replicate this in MemoryBC (though obviously
I can't create dummy records there) - I searched for Yellowhead and the
results seem to be correct. As a result I wondered if this had already
been resolved, post-1.1, but I can't find an issue for it.

Thanks
Tim

--
Tim Hutchinson
University of Saskatchewan Archives

David Juhasz

Apr 29, 2011, 1:30:51 PM4/29/11
to qubi...@googlegroups.com, Tim Hutchinson
On 11-04-20 03:48 PM, Tim Hutchinson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that the general search box seems to be searching actors and
> repositories in addition to information objects - but since only
> information objects are linked as search results, the hit count is wrong.
>
> To replicate this on the demo site, try adding something like
> "Timbuktu University Archives" as an archival institution. A general
> search for timbuktu will then return "results 1 to 1 of 1", but
> there's no content.
>
> Similarly, add an authority record like "Voldemort, Lord" (i.e.
> anything that won't otherwise yield a hit!). Same results. If you make
> Lord Voldemort a creator of a descriptions, 2 hits will be indicated,
> with the (1) linked description appearing.
>
> On the other hand, I can't replicate this in MemoryBC (though
> obviously I can't create dummy records there) - I searched for
> Yellowhead and the results seem to be correct. As a result I wondered
> if this had already been resolved, post-1.1, but I can't find an issue
> for it.
>
> Thanks
> Tim

Tim,

Did you ever get a response on this? The most likely culprit is "old"
data lurking in the search index - this is usually the result of doing
some data entry and then wiping out the database without clearing the
search index.

I would try rebuilding the search index:
http://www.qubit-toolkit.org/wiki/index.php?title=Rebuild_search_index

Of course, this may not be feasible for large collections because the
building the index can take quite a long time.

Regards,
David

--
David Juhasz,
Software Engineer

Artefactual Systems Inc.
www.artefactual.com

Tim Hutchinson

May 3, 2011, 11:41:44 AM5/3/11
to qubi...@googlegroups.com, David Juhasz
Hi David,

Thanks for your follow-up on this. We've consistently been re-indexing
after emptying the database. One point at which I was noticing the
phantom hits was after emptying/re-indexing and then loading the
repository records (but not the descriptive records). I also noticed a
difference in behaviour depending whether you're logged in or not. Note
that my earlier examples used the demo site.

I similarly noticed in subsequent testing that new users were affecting
the result count. I'll have to refresh my memory on this, though, so
will follow up with more details.

Tim

Tim Hutchinson

May 4, 2011, 12:12:44 PM5/4/11
to David Juhasz, qubi...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

Here's what I'm able to replicate on both our local implementation and
the demo site:

When you are logged in, all actor records (users, repositories and
authority records) contribute to the hit count, but nothing is
displayed. The search works normally if you are not logged in.

A series of examples using the demo site, while logged in:
- do a general search for Townley. The hit count says 4, but 3 are
displayed. The extra hit would be the authority record
- delete all descriptions, repositories, and authority records
- do a general search without entering any terms - the hit count says 1
(which would be the demo user)
- add a user, and do the same search - the hit count says 2
- add an authority record, e.g. Smith, John. Doing a general search for
Smith gets you 1 hit, but nothing is displayed
- add a description linked to Smith. The hit count is now 2, but only
one (the description) is displayed.
- similar results after adding repository records

Tim

On 4/29/2011 11:30 AM, David Juhasz wrote:

Tim Hutchinson

May 4, 2011, 1:45:07 PM5/4/11
to Qubit Toolkit Developers
Filed as issue 1983

David Juhasz

May 4, 2011, 2:01:01 PM5/4/11
to qubi...@googlegroups.com
On 11-05-04 10:45 AM, Tim Hutchinson wrote:
> Filed as issue 1983

Great, thanks Tim! :)