[qubes-devel] installing alpha Qubes on IBM Z61p Thinkpad (ATI FireGL V5200)

Robert Lindsay

Apr 8, 2010, 3:58:32 PM4/8/10
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

I was not surprised to have to do a little extra to get it working – the FireGL V5200 support has required tweaking for many versions of Fedora.

I ran into the same issue as an NVIDIA install – bootup hung after installing XEN step 3 (this is a reboot to text X).

Some internet research indicates there are some Xen related radeon issues.

I was able to get past this step by modifying the NVDIA instructions as follows:

After bootup of failsafe and init 3 to get to a clean root environment download the radeonhd driver

Yum install xorg-x11-drv-radeonhd

Then do the X –configure step and modify the radeon driver to be a radeonhd driver

Add a nomodeset to the end of the first module line of the grub.conf for the Xen kernel (module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32.9-7.pvops0.qubes.x86_64

Robert T. Lindsay, Special Projects Program Manager ,

US DOE, Office of Advanced Scientific Computing Research,

SC21/GTN;email: robert....@science.doe.gov;

tel: 301-903-9550; fax: 301-903-7774;

image001.gif

Joanna Rutkowska

Apr 8, 2010, 4:46:42 PM4/8/10
to Robert Lindsay, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 01/-10/-28163 08:59 PM, Robert Lindsay wrote:

> I was not surprised to have to do a little extra to get it working - the

> FireGL V5200 support has required tweaking for many versions of Fedora.
>

> I ran into the same issue as an NVIDIA install - bootup hung after

> installing XEN step 3 (this is a reboot to text X).
>

> Some internet research indicates there are some Xen related radeon issues.
>

> I was able to get past this step by modifying the NVDIA instructions as
> follows:
<...>

So, did you get the h/w accell working? E.g. can you enable "desktop
effects" in KDE or GNOME in Dom0?

joanna.

signature.asc

Robert Lindsay

Apr 8, 2010, 6:39:13 PM4/8/10
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

I tested under KDE and desktop effects seem to work.

Actually – I am very impressed with the system stability – for an Alpha release it’s rock solid.

Performance is also very good.

image001.gif