Discontinued?

Mark kk

Apr 4, 2011, 10:22:18 PM4/4/11
to QSB Mac General Discussion
Has QSB updates stopped? or is it discontinued? Otherwise, when do you
guys expect a new update. QSB is the best!

dmaclach

Apr 5, 2011, 12:06:33 AM4/5/11
to QSB Mac General Discussion
Hey folks...

For all intents and purposes QSB is currently in maintenance mode.
Google is no longer funding it's development, so the team that was
working on QSB are all now working on different projects within Google
(mostly Chrome). I check in occasionally to the mailing list when I
have time, but have been very busy on Chrome development. I will try
and do better at checking in, and if somebody would like to take the
reins, I am more than happy to pass them over.

Sorry for the news...

Cheers,
Dave

m3kwong

Apr 5, 2011, 7:21:45 AM4/5/11
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com
Maybe you guys can go for a donation model. When you have enough money try to belt out the next version. Some sort of paypal donation.

Mark

Joel Esler

Apr 5, 2011, 7:02:36 AM4/5/11
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com, QSB Mac General Discussion
Its sad to add it go, but a couple of projects that fill a similar role have popped up in it's place.

Alfred is the one I use now.

--
Sent from my iPhone
Forgive my misspellings and briefness

Ryto

Apr 5, 2011, 10:40:36 AM4/5/11
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com
Same here. It comes to a point where solid ongoing development and support trumps a good legacy product, even one with as good a past as QSB (and I include quicksilver in that) -- I mostly just don't have time to spend fiddling with a project in maintenance mode. Ironically, the mantra of Quicksilver was originally "act without doing". The developer of Alfred is currently taking on the 1 or 2 really vital functionalities of QSB including global key commands, according to progress updates. The only extra thing I use now is Spark to set up the global key commands until they are rolled out in Alfred.

Christopher Calo

Apr 5, 2011, 10:39:39 AM4/5/11
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com, Joel Esler
OMG! Alfred is amazing.

Mark Kwong

Apr 5, 2011, 11:24:51 AM4/5/11
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com
Actually, QSB works very well in this current form.  The most used function of QSB is for me to double tap the CMD button, then search stuff from Google. 99% of the time.  The other searches are done by Spotlight. For keyboard shortcuts, I use BetterTouchTool (free).

The free version Alfred doesn't even do as much as spotlight, the extra features that you have to pay for does not do much more than QSB. And If you want almost the exact replica but more features and customize-ability , use QuickSilver.

Mark

Nicole Gfroerer

Apr 5, 2011, 11:46:12 AM4/5/11
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com, Christopher Calo
Pardon me for being out of the loop, but I've just done Moma searches for Alfred and "Alfred dogfood" but am not getting anything that looks like an application… what am I missing out on? :)
Nicole M. Gfroerer // Enterprise Operations // 650.214.2819

Gordon Fontenot

Apr 5, 2011, 11:47:21 AM4/5/11
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com

Nicole Gfroerer

Apr 5, 2011, 11:48:17 AM4/5/11
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com, Gordon Fontenot
Ah, thank you! I was so in the mode of home-baked apps.

David Coldrick

Apr 5, 2011, 5:12:56 PM4/5/11
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com
Agreed, Mark. I use QSB as it is, despite having LaunchBar and Alfred, simply because what I want to do 99% of the time is search on Google, launch an app, or open a folder, and QSB does this perfectly well.

Thanks to the devs for getting it to this point.

Regards,
David

Mark Kwong

Apr 5, 2011, 5:18:16 PM4/5/11
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com
I guess Google stop funding it because it works perfectly well when searching Google! Amongst other things.  Not much need to further bloat good software or fix something that ain't broke?

Come to think of it, i have no complaints, or any desperate wants for improvement from QSB.  The programmers did a very good job.

Mark

Michael Ihnat

Apr 5, 2011, 6:09:23 PM4/5/11
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com
I echo the countless folks desiring further development and at least maintenance of QSB. IMHO it is still the best and the only suitable progeny of QS. I wish I was a developer to putter with it but as with the others I am willing to chip in morally and monetarily to see that this project doesn’t die.
Michael A. Ihnat, PhD
Joanne I. Moore Professor of Pharmacology
Associate Professor of Cell Biology
Director, Medical Pharmacology; Disease, Diagnosis and Therapy; Special Studies in Pharmacology courses
University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, School of Medicine
Adjunct Assistant Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences
The University of Oklahoma College of Pharmacy
726 BMSB, 940 SL Young Blvd
Oklahoma City, OK 73104
Office: 405-271-8000 ext 47965
Labs: 405-271-8000 ext 47962, 47963
FAX:405-271-3548
“The moment you have in your heart this extraordinary thing called love and feel the depth, the delight, the ecstasy of it, you will discover that for you the world is transformed” - Jiddu Krishnamurti

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This is a transmission from the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center and may contain information which is confidential and proprietary. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, copying or distribution or use of the contents of this message is expressly prohibited.

Marc Balaguer Rasillo

Apr 5, 2011, 5:20:56 PM4/5/11
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com
Not really agree. There's no support for good plugins or triggers (like the yubnub one in QuickSilver).

Brian Edginton

Apr 6, 2011, 7:18:33 AM4/6/11
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com
It is an open project, you can always create your own plugins. And the developers are still very responsive to questions.

--edge

Dave MacLachlan

Apr 6, 2011, 1:33:12 PM4/6/11
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com, Brian Edginton
Actually we haven't been good recently (IMHO). I will try and stay on top of things a bit better though.

Cheers,
Dave

Paul

Apr 6, 2011, 6:21:15 PM4/6/11
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Marc: Products get stale without ongoing attention. But maybe someone can help me out.

Frankly, I miss Google Desktop. My biggest problem is finding documents on my computer, gmail messages, bookmarks, etc. by content. I have thousands of docs from multiple sources and in multiple formats (including gmail, pdf, doc, odt, html, others). I don't need regex for Internet searches - that isn't practical - just on my machine. If I know what I'm looking for is in a file containing recognizable text, I'll use grep. Mostly, though, I spend a lot of time being frustrated.

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Paul

Apr 6, 2011, 6:29:10 PM4/6/11
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com, Brian Edginton
Dave,

Thank you for planning to look in on us more frequently. It's been a while since I did coding (I knew it was time to move up to management when one day I couldn't think up one more variable name), but I'm kind of desperate. Per my other post a few minutes ago, I need to be able to search on my drives and through my gmail messages based on content and with regex. The docs are in a variety of formats (pdf, doc, html, others). Is this a possible plug-in for QSB and, if so, can you point me to where I should start? Thanks very much.

Paul Hindes
sed...@gmail.com

m3kwong

Apr 7, 2011, 12:21:22 AM4/7/11
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com
Spotlight does all of that, why don' t you use it?

Mark

Art Awake

Apr 7, 2011, 9:22:34 AM4/7/11
to QSB Mac General Discussion
I'm with you, I was broken geared to feel qsb was not moving forward,
then I discovered Alfred and things got better. That kid is doing a
great job, and qsb team did too while it lasted....
I love chrome and I fully support the idea of developing the browser
even if it means sacrificing qsb.

On Apr 5, 4:02 am, Joel Esler <joel.es...@me.com> wrote:
> Its sad to add it go, but a couple of projects that fill a similar role have popped up in it's place.
>
> Alfred is the one I use now.
>
> --
> Sent from my iPhone
> Forgive my misspellings and briefness
>
> On Apr 5, 2011, at 12:06 AM, dmaclach <dmacl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hey folks...
>
> > For all intents and purposes QSB is currently in maintenance mode.
> > Google is no longer funding it's development, so the team that was
> > working on QSB are all now working on different projects within Google
> > (mostly Chrome). I check in occasionally to the mailing list when I
> > have time, but have been very busy on Chrome development. I will try
> > and do better at checking in, and if somebody would like to take the
> > reins, I am more than happy to pass them over.
>
> > Sorry for the news...
>
> > Cheers,
> > Dave
>
> > On Apr 4, 7:22 pm, Mark kk <m3kw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Has QSB updates stopped? or is it discontinued? Otherwise, when do you
> >> guys expect a new update.  QSB is the best!
>
> > --
> > Groups "QSB Mac General Discussion" group.
> > If you are going to make an enhancement request or want to file a bug, please add it to our issues tracker athttp://code.google.com/p/qsb-mac/issues/list.

Marcel Hild

Apr 7, 2011, 9:29:32 AM4/7/11
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com
maybe you should keep an eye on quicksilver.
the development there gained some momentum again and they are close to releasing an update which should have most of the broken things fixed and even include a new update mechanism.

--
Marcel Hild <hi...@b4mad.net>

If you are going to make an enhancement request or want to file a bug, please add it to our issues tracker at http://code.google.com/p/qsb-mac/issues/list.

Paul

Apr 7, 2011, 2:51:54 PM4/7/11
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Mark.

I've been unable to locate a gmail plugin, other than one that looks klugey - it appears to require Apple Mail. Do you know of a gmail plugin for Spotlight? Also, I don't believe I can use regular expressions with Spotlight. Am I wrong?

Paul

dmaclach

Apr 7, 2011, 3:06:37 PM4/7/11
to QSB Mac General Discussion
Doing this efficiently is almost impossible. Are you willing to wait
on a grep -R /?

Mark Kwong

Apr 7, 2011, 3:34:10 PM4/7/11
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com
Actually I just have Mail download ALL my Gmail into my HD using the pop service that google provides. Then spotlight searches it.  If you can afford 8 gigs on your HD(if you have that much mail), that is a very good way to go.

Joel Esler

Apr 7, 2011, 3:47:42 PM4/7/11
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com, qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com
Except Gmail likes to limit how many emails you can download at one time, and thusly, it takes like 4 days to download your email.

m3kwong

Apr 7, 2011, 6:57:23 PM4/7/11
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com
Just download it once and you are done.  Just make sure you check your mail using Mail.

Paul

Apr 9, 2011, 1:49:42 PM4/9/11
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com

Marcel - Thank you for pointing me back to QS. I'll take another look.

Paul

Apr 9, 2011, 2:02:09 PM4/9/11
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com

Dave - I'm more organized than that! I can narrow down the number of files to grep through. But what intelligently extracts text from, e.g., pdf, html, etc.? Google Desktop's index was mighty handy and fast. Thank you for responding. - Paul

Dave MacLachlan

Apr 12, 2011, 1:17:52 PM4/12/11
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com, Paul
GD ran the spotlight plugins itself to extract data.

You could probably do something similar yourself.

Cheers,
Dave