WTP support in new dev release

Abel Muiño Vizcaino

Mar 19, 2008, 3:43:42 PM3/19/08
to q4e...@googlegroups.com
I've just uploaded to the dev update site a new release which includes support for Web Tools Project.

It's been tested against the wicket archetype and provides:
- Integration with the new project and project import wizards.
- If you're packaging is war, the project should automatically be WTP enabled.
- Filtering of deployed artifacts
- Only artifacts with default scope or compile scope will be deployed to your testing server.

Usual WTP features like hot deployment of modified java files and resources, debugging and so on are also working.

I've uploaded an screencast with a brief demo to: http://tinyurl.com/ynqewf

Joakim Erdfelt

Mar 19, 2008, 3:49:47 PM3/19/08
to q4e...@googlegroups.com
Excellent news!

What sort of WTP support is present?
WebApp (Dynamic ? Static ?)
Enterprise Archive?

- Joakim

Abel Muiño Vizcaino

Mar 19, 2008, 4:17:37 PM3/19/08
to q4e...@googlegroups.com
Right now it is dynamic web project only (any project with war packaging).

It is only a first shot and needs more testing, but it is working quite nicely. It should not be complicated to support other kind of projects (like ear), but since I don't use those, I would need some test cases (feel free to open new issue reports and attach examples and expected behavior).

Brett Porter

Mar 19, 2008, 5:20:11 PM3/19/08
to q4e...@googlegroups.com
It worked great for Archiva BTW. Nice one!

--
Brett Porter
Blog: http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/

Abel Muiño Vizcaino

Mar 19, 2008, 7:18:23 PM3/19/08
to Abel Muiño Vizcaino, q4e...@googlegroups.com
El 19/03/2008, a las 20:43, Abel Muiño Vizcaino escribió:

I've uploaded an screencast with a brief demo to: http://tinyurl.com/ynqewf

If you have trouble watching the video at the above link, it is because the monthly bandwidth has been exceeded. I've uploaded the file to this other url: http://personales.ya.com/abelmuino/q4e-wtp.swf

Joakim Erdfelt

Mar 19, 2008, 10:01:10 PM3/19/08
to q4e...@googlegroups.com
Just finished watching the screencast hosted video.
Very cool!

If you want bandwidth to host the video's i've got plenty to spare.

- Joakim

Brett Porter

Mar 19, 2008, 10:03:51 PM3/19/08
to q4e...@googlegroups.com
BTW, Matt Raible has said it isn't working with the Appfuse warpath
plugin: http://static.appfuse.org/maven-warpath-plugin/index.html

I suspect this is similar to the problems I had with Archiva but was
able to work around (I filed an issue already).

- Brett

Abel Muiño Vizcaino

Mar 20, 2008, 2:57:56 AM3/20/08
to q4e...@googlegroups.com
I haven't tested, but I've worked in the past in a plug-in for AppFuse support (http://candy4appfuse.sourceforge.net/Welcome.html) and my experience is that the warpath plug-in is not very IDE-friendly and requires a implementing a new classpath container.

So just be patient :-). With WTP support I've also committed partial support for project customization (see Issue 20 and 21), so it will be possible in the near future to implement the support required by maven and eclipse plug-ins other than WTP.

Abel Muiño Vizcaino

Mar 20, 2008, 3:14:36 AM3/20/08
to q4e...@googlegroups.com
Hi!
The bandwith at screencast.com has reached the limit so if you've provided links to it, they will not work until next month :-)

The link to http://personales.ya.com/abelmuino/q4e-wtp.swf should work, but I think it is slower.

Joakim... maybe you could download the flash video at the above url and host it? We then could change the links to a permanent URL.

If you prefer, I can do that myself (just contact me with the information I'll need), but it will have to be next monday (I'm on vacation starting right now! :-) )

Joakim Erdfelt

Mar 20, 2008, 7:10:02 PM3/20/08
to q4e...@googlegroups.com
I have placed the screencast at http://joakim.erdfelt.com/q4e/q4e-wtp.swf

Feel free to link to it.

- Joakim

erle mantos

Mar 21, 2008, 10:50:43 PM3/21/08
to q4e...@googlegroups.com
I just saw it. That was really beautiful. Very good work Abel.

--
A world without C++ is chaos.

mykol

Mar 31, 2008, 3:19:33 AM3/31/08
to Q for Eclipse developers list
cool! finally :)

one question though. is there a way for me to import my web projects
using the final build name or artifact name instead of the directory
name? when i load to the wtp web server, i could only access it via
http://localhost:8080/<directory name> instead of http://localhost:8080/<final
build name>. becomes a pain to use when my other web projects refer to
this other running web app by its build name.

thanx!

mykol

Mar 31, 2008, 3:22:49 AM3/31/08
to Q for Eclipse developers list
argh.. nevermind. it was just how it was displayed in eclipse and not
actually how it is deployed to the web server. sorry #-o