Q10 development is officially resumed

jobedom

Jan 30, 2010, 1:21:21 PM1/30/10
to Q10 Editor
I feel weird typing this, but the day has come: Q10 development is
officially resumed.

I have a full time job now, so the progress will be much slower than
years ago, when I was self-employed and worked from home (programming
Q10 was a good way to take a break), but I'll keep developing it.

Please, use this thread to put any suggestion or feature request you
may have. It's been a while since development stopped and I don't have
the time to go through every message received since then.

I'll create a development zone in Q10 web page (maybe a bug tracker
used in a broader way) to collect bug reports, suggestions and
request, but until it's live and working just use this thread.

I'm thinking of good ways to coordinate the translation efforts too,
so I'll tell you about that issue real soon.

So, let's make Q10 better. There are many surprises ahead.

Thank you all for your support and your patience. I appreciate all the
private messages I've had during this years.

One more thing: If any of my messages sounds rude or harsh, you can be
sure it's a consequence of my limited knowledge of English, so please
ask for clarification when in doubt.

Gun Metal Gray

Jan 30, 2010, 1:25:41 PM1/30/10
to Q10 Editor
*golf clap*
Seriously this is great news. I'm would be happy to offer suggestions
and testing.

Peter K

Jan 30, 2010, 1:48:10 PM1/30/10
to Q10 Editor
That is awesome - I am glad to hear things are turning better.

As for suggestions... I could really use a battery meter on the status
bar (bottom right corner). I use Q10 most often on my notebook, when I
have to draft ideas and stuff. That's when I pull all plugs and find a
quiet corner in the office, so the notebook is on battery power. The
last thing I want is my notebook all suddenly go into hibernation when
I'm in the middle of work, so a battery meter icon would be really
helpful.

I think WMI and the Power Management API both allows querying the
number of batteries and their power status.

Peter

Gun Metal Gray

Jan 30, 2010, 1:52:42 PM1/30/10
to Q10 Editor
Ill just post my suggestions from a previous post

- Rich Text Support. Bold and Italics are part of my creative
processes...really. At the moment i'm using a note ".." to remind me
what part of a sentence is in italics or bold. I also noticed that Q10
can open and save to .rtf files, but removes the formatting. So maybe
this isn't as far fetched as i think?

- More customizable date inserts. Example: I want the date insert
format to be like this "Tuesday, January 19, 2010".

- Updated Helpcard.

- Spellchecker is still erroring on contractions.

made....@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2010, 6:29:22 AM2/1/10
to q10-e...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jobedom,

Glad you are back to developing your work (if this is what makes you happiest). I personally am more interested in trying to get your program to work. Simply put, nothing happens when I start it up. I'm using XP, I'm updated and I'm currently trouble-free. Suggestions? Questions?

Thanks,
Brent
BlackBerry from DOCOMO

jasikor

Feb 1, 2010, 2:59:02 PM2/1/10
to Q10 Editor
Bug report: UTF-8 is broken and for example Polish letters cannot be
saved, and then retrieved from disk. Try to paste 'ąśżłćżę', then save
and then open - Polish letters disapear.

Doug

Feb 1, 2010, 10:42:51 AM2/1/10
to Q10 Editor
Q10 is great! Thank you.

I don't want bells and whistles. But how do I print?

Doug

Gun Metal Gray

Feb 2, 2010, 7:01:31 PM2/2/10
to Q10 Editor
Print hasn't been implemented yet

Kensai

Feb 5, 2010, 9:19:58 AM2/5/10
to Q10 Editor
Good to see you back. Really interested to see what you've got
planned. I don't have alot of time this second to go into detail
about my thoughts just this second, but I will say that if you could
get the ".." notes functionality to work 100% (it stops working for
me, at random, it seems, on a per file basis), that would make a grand
start to renewed development.

Otherwise, just glad to see you back in a good place and back among
the virtually living.

Kensai

Dmitrijs Baranovs

Feb 4, 2010, 8:07:29 AM2/4/10
to Q10 Editor
Q10 is really cool. I'm using it for more than a year. Thank you!

The only feature I miss is the last position of cursor restoration on
file loading. If the file names are stored in history, I hope it will
not be very complicate to implement.
Sometimes I miss Minimize option but I understand, that this might
ruin the concept.

Other suggestion is not about your wonderful program, but for web
site. I think PayPal donation button will improve possibilities to
express gratitude of happy users.

Dmitrijs Baranovs

Feb 4, 2010, 8:32:49 AM2/4/10
to Q10 Editor
Great news! I'm using the Q10 portable for more than year and it's
great!

Actually it is hard to find any major improvements necessary for such
a brilliant piece of software.

The only thing I miss is a last position of cursor restoration after
opening of old file. Since history of files edited is stored, I
believe this might be not too complicate to implement.

And of course help card would be nice to update. I've just found that
minimize function actually exist and called by ctrl+down.

PayPal donation button on website would help us, happy users, to
express our gratitude.

Thank you very much!

Brabo

Feb 5, 2010, 10:24:00 AM2/5/10
to Q10 Editor
Great news!

As for suggestions, I have only one: typewriter scrolling!

Typewriter scrolling makes the currently active line in a document
stay in the vertical middle of the editor window. You don’t have to
scroll down with the mouse or use the arrow keys to move the window
down. For me, this is an absolute plus, especially when I’m pounding
out text and I don’t want stop every few paragraphs to scroll the
window.

Cheers

PB

Message has been deleted

hackettt

Feb 6, 2010, 1:07:55 PM2/6/10
to Q10 Editor
Brilliant news, jobedom.

Your application is a wonderful tool that I show my writing students
at the university. I welcome your return and I wish you the best.

bipolaric

Feb 9, 2010, 7:11:34 AM2/9/10
to Q10 Editor
hi, I am new to the messaging board forum, so I don't know if my
messages are getting through, as they don't show up on the page. In
my opinion, as a minimalist word processor, the only things Q10 need
are :
1 : bold/italic/bold+italic fonts
2: Justified/centre paragraph page justification
3 : Page breaks
4 : A Thesaurus would top it off

Let me know what you think, you can contact me on
bipo...@hotmail.co.uk - Thanks - Mark :)

Kensai

Feb 11, 2010, 3:09:15 PM2/11/10
to Q10 Editor
I think the biggest feature request I'd have, now that I have a second
to actually think of it, would be the ability to zoom the text in and
out via Ctrl+scroll wheel/arrow keys. I move among several rigs
ranging from a 12" lappy to an HTPC on a 37" TV, so I need to be able
to zoom in/out quickly without going into the preferences and actually
changing the point size of the font. Hope that will be easy, because
its one of the main reasons other apps (such as WriteMonkey) have been
getting alot of play versus Q10 over the past year.

Another convenience I would kill for in Q10 that I don't think would
kill the minimalism of the app would be some method for quicker
scrolling/searching through longer documents. Now this is something
that I'm sure would be over the top for Q10, but I love, nonetheless.
Check out http://www.sublimetext.com/ and look at the preview pane it
uses. Now, Sublime Text is a serious coders' text editor, right down
to the fact that you change preferences by editing script files. I'm
not a coder, but I could figure most of it out and I got help on their
forums for what I couldn't, and even though I love the look and feel
of the thing (its a busier, slick tech sort of feel), and its been in
active development the whole time since I discovered it, it still
lacks things like the text zoom (gotta open another text file, change
the point size and save it for the setting to change), and even at
first couldn't handle having the first line of a paragraph indented
without indenting every line (though I brought it up on the forum
since the developer had blogged a bit about using it in fullscreen for
writing prose), and he had a new beta up like the next day that fixed
it, its just too busy, too fiddly (for now) and just draws too much
focus to the tool itself rather than the tool funneling focus onto the
work. But that preview pane (and the ability to do multi tabbed panes
with only vertical scroll bars in fullscreen mode) is something else.
Oh yeah, the guy would like to be paid a goodly chunk for the app if
you're going to use it for more than evaluation, too ;-p Maybe check
it out for some inspiration, but I'm just interested in getting some
basic, needed functionality added to Q10 which is always more
comfortable than anything else I try.

Thanks,
Kensai

Parry

Feb 11, 2010, 12:55:34 PM2/11/10
to Q10 Editor
Huray! This is my favourite minimalist text editor, and I've tried
several, so I'm so happy to hear development is resuming, at any pace.

Bold and Italic text is my request as well. I need these basic
formatting abilities so much!

Basically a very, very minimal level of Rich Text editing -- the
ability to make specific words Bold or Italic is really *all* I need
that Q10 can't already do. I guess this will probably be complicated,
because you can't do that with .txt files, and you'd need to
go .rtf...

I don't think there's any good minimalist program like this one that
*does* do Bold and Italic, which is frustrating, because I absolutely
love everything about minimalist text editors (especially this one),
but I *need* this ability to format text to be able to write much of
anything. TextRoom is the only one I found (and it's based very
heavily on Q10), but it's at such an early stage of development that
the formatting ability is very buggy in it as well, as is the program
as a whole... and it just isn't as pretty or awesome as Q10. :)

Gun Metal Gray

Feb 11, 2010, 5:16:41 PM2/11/10
to Q10 Editor
Also Q10 already has support for bold, itallics and underline in the
font options, it just applys the change to the whole file. I also
noticed that Q10 can already open .rtf files and Ctrl+S (save) back to
them. It works but removes all formatting.
Mabye this isn't as far fetched as it seems.

Dr. Snake (Doc)

Feb 22, 2010, 7:27:27 AM2/22/10
to Q10 Editor
Started running with this today. Minimalist is great. As a writer, I
can focus on words, push the pedal to the metal. I'd just like to see
a PRINT and SCROLLING feature.

Cheers,
Doc.

Dr. Snake (Doc)

Feb 22, 2010, 3:01:04 PM2/22/10
to Q10 Editor
Another useful thing with Q10 would be to easily minimize it, so you
can go grab a link, or piece of copy from the web. Right now I'm
minimizing by hitting the Windows Start Menu button.

But it's a strangely compelling program, I guess because you are
forced to focus...then suddenly you're a productive writer again!

Gun Metal Gray

Feb 22, 2010, 4:06:26 PM2/22/10
to Q10 Editor
You can minimize it by pressing ALT + Down Arrow.
Help card needs an update.

On Feb 22, 1:01 pm, "Dr. Snake (Doc)" <doktor.sn...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> > ask for clarification when in doubt.- Hide quoted text -

Dr. Snake (Doc)

Feb 23, 2010, 7:29:25 AM2/23/10
to Q10 Editor
Ah, brilliant, thanks!

Wogan

Feb 26, 2010, 7:51:05 AM2/26/10
to Q10 Editor
If I can make one suggestion, it's this: Leave the current Q10 as it
is, and develop additional features in a new version. Rename the
current Q10 to Q10lite or something, if you need to.

I say this because as a minimal text editor, it's perfect. No
exceptions. Formatting, layouts, printing, and so on? Those are jobs
reserved for applications like Word. The moment you start bringing
formatting options into a writing environment, you start clogging it
up - my opinion.

The only, ONLY thing I'd ask is to allow changes to the keypress
sound. Between fonts, colors and sizes, I've found it handy to
customize the editor to match the story that I'm writing - customizing
the keypress sound would make it that much more immersive and
conducive to concentration.

~ Wogan

Randus

Feb 27, 2010, 6:20:26 PM2/27/10
to Q10 Editor
Q10 is great because of what it is, and I would loathe to think it
would become something else.

Q10 is a text editor. When I write, the thing which is paramount is
that the words flow onto to page, and that they stay there. Writing is
about the act of creation. When putting down the words, one is being
creative.

Q10 is not a word processor. Margins, font, etc, are aspects of
presentation. I love to write. When the writing is done, then it is
time to make the work presentable in the manner which conforms to the
conventions of the present notions of presentation; spelling, proper
forms of emphasis, and the like.

Thank you for the wonderful programme. You have created a great
thing. If you think it is time to develope a word processor, or
something of that ilk, I think that would be great as well. But, in
my opinion, Q10 would be best served if left the way it is.

kli6891

Feb 27, 2010, 8:08:31 PM2/27/10
to Q10 Editor
I second Textwriter Scrolling.

swappster

Mar 2, 2010, 8:26:12 AM3/2/10
to Q10 Editor
This is a most excellent day. Thank you for sharing the great news. I
think Q10 has blessed all of us with its simple approach, and its aid
in helping us focus on what is most important - writing.

I'd be happy to assist in any way you need (and that I can).

Justin

Parry

Mar 2, 2010, 6:32:06 PM3/2/10
to Q10 Editor
About bold and italic formatting: Maybe it would be possible to do
something like what WriteMonkey does: Instead of allowing words to be
formatted within Q10, allow words to be surrounded by tags, and then
make it possible to "export" the text into a format that allows bold
and italic formatting, changing the formatting of words within tags
appropriately as this happens. This would be nice because it wouldn't
clutter up the actual writing environment of Q10 any more, but would
allow the writer to create bold and italic text without interrupting
the flow of their work. While writing you could just put your *s or
''s around words as needed, and once done, export it into .doc or some
such, and have your finished work with all the bold and italics
properly formatted. :)

... If something like this were done, it would be especially nice if
the tags used were customizable. :P

Gun Metal Gray

Mar 2, 2010, 7:12:26 PM3/2/10
to Q10 Editor
I think Markdown/Markup/Multimarkdown is extremly cluttering and
convoluted. Its just easier and cleaner to have bold and italics
implemented. Its feels like a Rube Goldberg invention. Why reinvent
the wheel?

> > > as a whole... and it just isn't as pretty or awesome as Q10. :)- Hide quoted text -

Kensai

Mar 12, 2010, 5:47:24 PM3/12/10
to Q10 Editor
Man, you're killing me. You make this wonderful announcement, and
now, almost a month and a half later, there's no new version, not even
a beta for us to hammer on for you. Heck, we've not even really heard
from you again. You're such a tease ;-p

Hope everything is well with you.

Kensai

Hardi

Mar 12, 2010, 11:40:49 AM3/12/10
to Q10 Editor
I heartily vote for revised UTF8 support, as à, ž and similar letters
get replaced by question marks in the saving and opening progress.

With similar fervor I oppose any kind of rich text support. If you can
write *bold* words in an e-mail, it's plenty good for writing
purposes. Likewise for /italics/.