"Fix the Web" (temp name): Call for volunteers to help with new site

amitar

Sep 6, 2008, 5:30:23 PM9/6/08
to PyWeb-IL
I've been entertaining this idea for a website for quite some time
now.
Maybe its time to put it to action - if anyone likes to join the crew,
that would certainly help.
Preliminary description of goal and means available at
http://amit.freeshell.org/fixtheweb.html
(Hebrew - translation to English may be added upon request :-) ).

For help, criticism, or any comments - contact me by mail or
personally next meeting.

Seeya on Monday,

Amit

daonb

Sep 8, 2008, 1:29:14 AM9/8/08
to PyWeb-IL
I read the docs, but am not sure I get it. Can you do a 5 minute
"lighting talk" today?

On Sep 7, 12:30 am, amitar <aronovi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been entertaining this idea for a website for quite some time
> now.
> Maybe its time to put it to action - if anyone likes to join the crew,
> that would certainly help.
> Preliminary description of goal and means available athttp://amit.freeshell.org/fixtheweb.html

Ahik Man

Sep 8, 2008, 1:30:58 AM9/8/08
to pywe...@googlegroups.com
Good idea.
Amit, 2-3 slides and 5 minutes. Is it OK?

Ahik

Amit Aronovitch

Sep 8, 2008, 2:09:39 AM9/8/08
to pywe...@googlegroups.com
Will not have time to prepare the slides.
Can talk and answer questions

Gabor Szabo

Sep 8, 2008, 2:21:08 AM9/8/08
to pywe...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 9:09 AM, Amit Aronovitch <arono...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Will not have time to prepare the slides.
> Can talk and answer questions
>
> 2008/9/8 Ahik Man <ahik...@gmail.com>:
>> Good idea.
>> Amit, 2-3 slides and 5 minutes. Is it OK?
>>
>> Ahik

Here are some slides for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hghpuxCHTc

Did you mean that way of fixing the web?

Gabor

--
Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/blog.html
Test Automation Tips http://szabgab.com/test_automation_tips.html

daonb

Sep 8, 2008, 3:01:34 AM9/8/08
to PyWeb-IL
+1 for lighting talk with no slides. It will take 5min just to set up
the projector anyway.

On Sep 8, 9:09 am, "Amit Aronovitch" <aronovi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Will not have time to prepare the slides.
> Can talk and answer questions
>
> 2008/9/8 Ahik Man <ahik....@gmail.com>:
>
> > Good idea.
> > Amit, 2-3 slides and 5 minutes. Is it OK?
>
> > Ahik

amitar

Sep 8, 2008, 4:53:08 PM9/8/08
to PyWeb-IL

On Sep 8, 9:21 am, "Gabor Szabo" <szab...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here are some slides for youhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hghpuxCHTc
>
> Did you mean that way of fixing the web?

Nice :-)
And not completely unrelated to what I had in mind.

Since there were no lightning talks, I'll expand a bit:

----
While using your favorite browser, you recall you need to pick up your
uncle from the airport tomorrow. You go to the website of said airport
to check the landings schedule. Alas, the list of flights was
apparently designed for and tested on only one browser, so it blinks
and disappears from the display before you manage to read it. You
click the "FixTheWeb" icon (bookmarklet actually) in your bookmarks
toolbar...

Since this problem was already reported, you get immediately to the
status page for this problem. You notice that the problem was
identified and that some user already uploaded a DreaseDonkey script
for fixing it. Also, the airport site maintainers have been contacted
by another user a few days ago, and got an auto-reply promising
response within a week.
You leave an anonymous message on the problem's thread saying "plugin
for Doodle Dhrome wanted - pretty please!" (had you logged in to the
site, you could have also ticked the "notify me" box in the "Dhrome"
column of the problem status page).

Since you happen to have DreaseDonkey installed in your DireDox
browser, you download the script and Bob's your uncle (and he'd sure
appreciate you appearing on the right time to give him a lift)...
----

Like the idea? *You* can make it happen.
Think its bound to fail unless we do X and Y? Tell me about it.

cheers (for all those who remained for the party),

Amit