help on (negative) interaction with other programs

1 view

Tim Michelsen

Jun 15, 2009, 6:25:45 PM6/15/09
to pyth...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I there are any GIS or geodata workers on this list, please assist me.

I had PythonXY installed.
Then I installed GRASS GIS on Windows:
http://grass.itc.it/grass64/binary/mswindows/native/

This programm ships its own Python25.
When starting GRASS up, I get a error related to windows support modules:
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/570
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/attachment/ticket/570/bug_grass.jpg
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/attachment/ticket/570/bug_grass2.jpg

My question to you:
Has anyone else had such a adverse interaction?
How did you solve it?

I think that the problem is from the bad windows support in the GRASS
installer.

But you may have a better understanding.

Kind regards,
Timmie

Pierre Raybaut

Jun 16, 2009, 4:25:52 PM6/16/09
to python(x,y)
Hi Timmie,

Unfortunately this bug is coming from Python(x,y) pywin32 plugin.
I'm afraid it went through the prerelease tests...

I'll fix this as soon as I can.

Pierre

On 16 juin, 00:25, Tim Michelsen <timmichel...@gmx-topmail.de> wrote:
> Hello,
> I there are any GIS or geodata workers on this list, please assist me.
>
> I had PythonXY installed.
> Then I installed GRASS GIS on Windows:http://grass.itc.it/grass64/binary/mswindows/native/
>
> This programm ships its own Python25.
> When starting GRASS up, I get a error related to windows support modules:http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/570http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/attachment/ticket/570/bug_grass.jpghttp://trac.osgeo.org/grass/attachment/ticket/570/bug_grass2.jpg

Pierre Raybaut

Jun 16, 2009, 4:46:45 PM6/16/09
to python(x,y)
Hi Timmie,

Actually it was very easy and quick to fix:
http://www.pythonxy.com/dl.php?file=windows/pywin32-2.13.2.exe

Cheers,
Pierre

On 16 juin, 00:25, Tim Michelsen <timmichel...@gmx-topmail.de> wrote:
> Hello,
> I there are any GIS or geodata workers on this list, please assist me.
>
> I had PythonXY installed.
> Then I installed GRASS GIS on Windows:http://grass.itc.it/grass64/binary/mswindows/native/
>
> This programm ships its own Python25.
> When starting GRASS up, I get a error related to windows support modules:http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/570http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/attachment/ticket/570/bug_grass.jpghttp://trac.osgeo.org/grass/attachment/ticket/570/bug_grass2.jpg

Timmie

Jun 17, 2009, 4:11:39 AM6/17/09
to python(x,y)
Hello,
thanks for the quick reply.

I am afraid to say but the fix did not solve the problem.
I tested it with
WinGRASS-6.4.0RC5-1-Setup.exe -
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/binary/mswindows/native/WinGRASS-6.4.0RC5-1-Setup.exe

and the problem persists.

Is there any information I can provide?

Regards,
Timmie

Tim Michelsen

Jun 30, 2009, 2:43:29 PM6/30/09
to pyth...@googlegroups.com
Hello Pierre,
please check the updates on the GRASS bug:
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/570#comment:35

What would you advice?

Thanks in advance,
Timmie

Pierre Raybaut

Jun 30, 2009, 4:07:53 PM6/30/09
to python(x,y)
Hi Timmie,

One thing is sure: there is no such thing as "Python(x,y)'s
pywintypes25.dll" because this DLL is directly coming from the
official pywin32 binary package. In other words, installing Python
(x,y)'s pywin32 plugin is exactly the same as installing pywin32
official package (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/files/
pywin32/pywin32-213.win32-py2.5.exe). And there is more: as you may
know, Python(x,y) binaries for Python itself are installed using the
official Python .msi installer. So, installing Python 2.5 official
distribution with pywin32 official binary package should lead to the
exact same bug.

I would suggest to test the previous release of pywin32 (2.12) to see
if it's related. And if it is, it's between GRASS and pywin32.

Have you tested a simple Python 2.5 install (with the official binary
distribution) with pywin32 2.13?

Pierre