psf are looking for help

se...@odonnell.nu

Feb 20, 2013, 12:36:25 PM2/20/13
to python...@googlegroups.com
Apologies if this has come up before, but a company in the uk are
attempting to trademark Python with regard to all software, services, etc.

One of the things the psf are looking for to try and combat is this:

Do you have, or know of, anything that was published in the EU and uses
"Python" to refer to Python-the-language? Can we get copies, pictures, or
scans? This includes:

- Books
- Pamphlets
- Conference programs or talks
- Job listings
- Magazines or other publications
- Prospectuses

More details here: http://pyfound.blogspot.ca/2013/02/python-trademark-at-risk-in-europe-we.html

Im guessing we probably have some electronic copies of conference brochures we could send them?

Thanks

Sean

Alan Kennedy

Feb 20, 2013, 1:08:30 PM2/20/13
to python...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I definitely think we should be forwarding any and all materials about our conferences.

And if anyone is working for a company that uses python, there should be plenty of job listings, etc, to forward.

To all in the group: If you work at such a company, then now is the time for you to give something back for all the great free software you've gotten over the years.

Don't leave it to someone else, please.

"For evil to triumph, all that is necessary is for good people to do nothing".

Sean

sigm...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2013, 3:56:01 PM2/20/13
to python...@googlegroups.com

On Feb 20, 2013 6:08 PM, "Alan Kennedy" <al...@alan.kennedy.name> wrote:

To all in the group: If you work at such a company, then now is the time for you to give something back for all the great free software you've gotten over the years.

> Don't leave it to someone else, please.
>
> "For evil to triumph, all that is necessary is for good people to do nothing".

Great quote! I wish I worked for such a company now, but in the past I have worked for a company for which Python is a very important part of the business. I'll make them aware of this. Do we not have any Google employees on the list? They rely heavily on Python amongst others.

/Sigmund

Brian Curtin

Feb 20, 2013, 4:33:34 PM2/20/13
to python...@googlegroups.com
Yep, we've heard from Google :)

Brian Curtin
Director, Python Software Foundation

Padraic Harley

Feb 20, 2013, 7:01:26 PM2/20/13
to python...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know if it has to be just companies? If not, we could
probably draft up a letter from the 091 Labs hackerspace as a non-profit
organisation? We've been teaching people Python as a course to get our
members up to speed in at least one common language and that's what
we're writing applications with.

All the best,
Padraic
--
Padraic Harley

Phone: +353 (0)85 213 8803
Email: pad...@091labs.com
Tweet: @pauricthelodger

Vicky Lee - Python Ireland

Feb 20, 2013, 7:10:46 PM2/20/13
to pythonie
Hi All,

Thanks for raising issue again, and thanks to those who have already responded to PSF's call for action.

Padraic, I don't know the answer to your question, as suggested by Van Lindberg, maybe you can email him directly (v...@python.org).

I'll pull the PyConIE conf programmes and send them on also.

Cheers,

/// Vicky (PyCon Ireland co-Chair)