Announcing Tornado 2.0

Ben Darnell

Jun 22, 2011, 1:59:01 AM6/22/11
to Tornado Mailing List
We are pleased to announce the release of Tornado 2.0, available from

Major changes:
* Template output is automatically escaped by default; see backwards
  compatibility note below.
* The default AsyncHTTPClient implementation is now simple_httpclient.
* Python 3.2 is now supported.

Backwards compatibility:
* Template autoescaping is enabled by default.  Applications upgrading from
  a previous release of Tornado must either disable autoescaping or adapt
  their templates to work with it.  For most applications, the simplest
  way to do this is to pass autoescape=None to the Application constructor.
* Applications that wish to continue using curl_httpclient instead of
  simple_httpclient may do so by calling
    AsyncHTTPClient.configure("tornado.curl_httpclient.CurlAsyncHTTPClient")
  at the beginning of the process.  Users of Python 2.5 will probably want
  to use curl_httpclient as simple_httpclient only supports ssl on Python 2.6+.
* Python 3 compatibility involved many changes throughout the codebase,
  so users are encouraged to test their applications more thoroughly than
  usual when upgrading to this release.

Other changes in this release:
* Templates support several new directives:
  - {% autoescape ...%} to control escaping behavior
  - {% raw ... %} for unescaped output
  - {% module ... %} for calling UIModules
* {% module Template(path, **kwargs) %} may now be used to call another
  template with an independent namespace
* All IOStream callbacks are now run directly on the IOLoop via add_callback.
* HTTPServer now supports IPv6 where available.  To disable, pass
  family=socket.AF_INET to HTTPServer.bind().
* HTTPClient now supports IPv6, configurable via allow_ipv6=bool on the
  HTTPRequest.  allow_ipv6 defaults to false on simple_httpclient and true
  on curl_httpclient.
* RequestHandlers can use an encoding other than utf-8 for query parameters
  by overriding decode_argument()
* Performance improvements, especially for applications that use a lot of
  IOLoop timeouts
* HTTP OPTIONS method no longer requires an XSRF token.
* JSON output (RequestHandler.write(dict)) now sets Content-Type to
  application/json
* Etag computation can now be customized or disabled by overriding
  RequestHandler.compute_etag
* USE_SIMPLE_HTTPCLIENT environment variable is no longer supported.
  Use AsyncHTTPClient.configure instead.

Many thanks to everyone who contributed patches, bug reports, and feedback
that went into this release!

-Ben

Ben Darnell

Jun 22, 2011, 2:10:03 AM6/22/11
to Tornado Mailing List
In addition to the new release, the website at http://www.tornadoweb.org has had some major updates, with comprehensive documentation extracted from docstrings.

-Ben

Jeremy Kelley

Jun 22, 2011, 2:14:35 AM6/22/11
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Ben et al,

Thank you for all the work that's gone into Tornado.

This is great!!

-jeremy
--
The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting;
it has been found difficult and left untried – G. K. Chesterton

Felinx Lee

Jun 22, 2011, 2:17:30 AM6/22/11
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ben, the new web site looks great.
--
What can change the nature of a man?(Planescape Torment)
http://feilong.me            Felinx Lee's Blog (Chinese Only)

heww0205

Jun 22, 2011, 2:21:48 AM6/22/11
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! Thanks for the new documentation.

wataka

Jun 22, 2011, 2:34:14 AM6/22/11
to Tornado Web Server
Thanks Ben!

On Jun 22, 8:21 am, heww0205 <heww0...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks! Thanks for the new documentation.
>
> 2011/6/22 Ben Darnell <b...@bendarnell.com>
>

> > In addition to the new release, the website athttp://www.tornadoweb.orghashad some major updates, with comprehensive documentation extracted from

Evans ebot

Jun 22, 2011, 4:26:28 AM6/22/11
to Tornado Web Server
Great job Ben

On Jun 22, 7:34 am, wataka <nhy...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Ben!
>
> On Jun 22, 8:21 am, heww0205 <heww0...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Thanks! Thanks for the new documentation.
>
> > 2011/6/22 Ben Darnell <b...@bendarnell.com>
>
> > > In addition to the new release, the website athttp://www.tornadoweb.orghashadsome major updates, with comprehensive documentation extracted from

Paul Bohm

Jun 22, 2011, 5:13:41 AM6/22/11
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Great job! Thx!

Jean-Paul Calderone

Jun 22, 2011, 10:18:36 AM6/22/11
to Tornado Web Server
Congrats on the release (and it's very nice to see an automated test
suite in this one, kudos!)

Jean-Paul

On Jun 22, 1:59 am, Ben Darnell <b...@bendarnell.com> wrote:
> We are pleased to announce the release of Tornado 2.0, available fromhttps://github.com/downloads/facebook/tornado/tornado-2.0.tar.gz

Carl S. Yestrau Jr.

Jun 22, 2011, 1:30:12 PM6/22/11
to python-...@googlegroups.com
autoescape 4tw! Nice work Ben.

Geoff

Jun 22, 2011, 1:41:31 PM6/22/11
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Really nice work on the new Docs, it was a much needed refresh.

How do you find the time while also working @ facebook?

Didip Kerabat

Jun 22, 2011, 6:52:15 PM6/22/11
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Congrats! Love the documentation page.

- Didip -

Andrew Zeneski

Jun 22, 2011, 6:49:16 PM6/22/11
to python-...@googlegroups.com
+1 the new doc page is super nice and handy. Well done!
Andrew

Josh Marshall

Jun 22, 2011, 7:21:27 PM6/22/11
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Ben, and all other contributors, etc., awesome job and thanks for all the work you put into Tornado!

Josh Marshall

HENG

Jun 22, 2011, 9:16:19 PM6/22/11
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Nice! Thx Ben.

2011/6/23 Josh Marshall <catc...@gmail.com>

HengZhou

Krzysztof Tarnowski

Jun 23, 2011, 8:03:35 AM6/23/11
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Tornado 2.0 is awesome. Thanks, Ben!

Bang Nguyen

Jun 23, 2011, 11:18:04 AM6/23/11
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your hard work!

Micheál Keane

Jun 23, 2011, 11:30:04 AM6/23/11
to python-...@googlegroups.com
I really like the new doc pages as well.

They truncate in Safari on the iPhone 3GS though. It's really weird.
It looks like the page just stops loading.

Washington, DC  USA
ffaris...@gmail.com

Jason Huang

Jun 23, 2011, 12:38:47 PM6/23/11
to python-...@googlegroups.com
The new docs pages are awsome!  Thanks!

Ben Darnell

Jun 23, 2011, 2:01:41 PM6/23/11
to python-...@googlegroups.com
2011/6/23 Micheál Keane <ffaris...@gmail.com>
I really like the new doc pages as well.

They truncate in Safari on the iPhone 3GS though.  It's really weird.
It looks like the page just stops loading.

They're actually loaded correctly, it's just that the fixed navigation elements mess up scrolling.  If you scroll with two fingers instead of one, it works.

-Ben

Bill Janssen

Jun 24, 2011, 8:55:00 PM6/24/11
to Tornado Web Server