new tornado site

Steve Huffman

Aug 17, 2010, 7:04:18 PM8/17/10
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

My new site launched today, and it's built on tornado. I thought you
all might like to be aware of its existence :)

It's a travel-search site:

http://www.hipmunk.com

Cheers,

Steve

Nhomar Hernández

Aug 17, 2010, 7:11:49 PM8/17/10
to python-...@googlegroups.com

It's really really really great!!!!!!!!!!!

one question, can you estimate how many time it toke to you to do it?

Regards..

Steve Huffman

Aug 17, 2010, 7:15:36 PM8/17/10
to python-...@googlegroups.com
We (two of us) started in June.

Carl S. Yestrau Jr.

Aug 17, 2010, 7:22:42 PM8/17/10
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Seems popular on my tornado tornado built site!
http://splunkd.com/#q=hipmunk

Matthew Ferguson

Aug 17, 2010, 7:28:51 PM8/17/10
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations! It's really cool and clean. And you made Gizmodo front page!

Joseph Misiti

Aug 17, 2010, 7:34:29 PM8/17/10
to python-...@googlegroups.com
did you add additional pieces to tornado or did you use the existing framework only (aka SQLAlchemy, templating, etc). ?

Felinx Lee

Aug 17, 2010, 7:42:04 PM8/17/10
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve,
how about submit your tornado powered sites to http://tornado.poweredsites.org/
so tornadoer can easy to find your sites.
--
Felinx Lee

What powered sites?
http://poweredsites.org

What can change the nature of a man?(Planescape Torment)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planescape:_Torment

Steve Huffman

Aug 17, 2010, 7:42:28 PM8/17/10
to python-...@googlegroups.com
SQLAlchemy, Tornado Templates.

We have our own Memcache library on top of IOStream, and our own
Browser thingy (for scraping) on top of HTTPClient. We use Sass to
compile CSS.

My only real gripe is with Tornado's templates. I wish it had
definable functions like Mako. Without them, our templates can get a
little hard to follow with half the code in html, the other half in
ui_modules.

Warren Runk

Aug 17, 2010, 7:49:26 PM8/17/10
to python-...@googlegroups.com
We have had a terrific time using jinja2 templates with tornado.

Bao Nguyen

Aug 17, 2010, 7:15:51 PM8/17/10
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Wow, what am impressive interface.

-bn
0216331C

Felinx Lee

Aug 17, 2010, 8:00:29 PM8/17/10
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve, I have update css and your site's logo, so there is no scroll bar for your site, it look better now

Felinx Lee

Aug 17, 2010, 8:28:22 PM8/17/10
to python-...@googlegroups.com
I think Tornado UIModule is good.
I take ui_modules as the definable functions in Mako, and it's easy to put time consuming operations in a ui_module, then cache this ui_module.
I also build a in-house caching for poweredsites project, but it's base on mongodb, then I use this caching system for ui_module like below:

class WebsitePoweredsModule(UIModule):
    @cache.cache(expire=7200)
    def render(self, site_id):
        powereds = self.handler.db.query("query statement")
        return self.render_string("modules/website_powereds.html", powereds=powereds)

Now, this ui_module will be cached.

Ilya kut

Aug 18, 2010, 9:05:59 AM8/18/10
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Its really awesome site.

Can i ask some facts?

1. What team that worked on the project and approximate development time?
2. What model (relative to DB) used?
3. What was the essential problems during development?

Im ascing because im planning one relatively huge project with tornado
on backend and interested in experience of realized projects.

Thanx!

--
С уважением,
Кутуков Илья

+7 (926) 422-9-888
post...@gmail.com

Felinx Lee

Aug 18, 2010, 9:22:44 AM8/18/10
to python-...@googlegroups.com
I also hope that Steve can share something about his site with us.

For my poweredsites project, just me work on it about one month in my spare time.
I try to use SQLAlchemy at first, but switch back to tornado's build-in database.py to keep this site more lightweight and get better performance.
You need write the sql statement manually, that's the only one issue for me, but you can use any ORM as your wish.

Steve Huffman

Aug 18, 2010, 11:17:24 AM8/18/10
to python-...@googlegroups.com
> 1. What team that worked on the project and approximate development time?

Two months, two people, full time.

> 2. What model (relative to DB) used?

We actually don't store a lot of data. We have a couple of tables for
airports and airlines, but that's about it. For the more complicated
stuff in the future, I'll likely write a Cassandra interface.

> 3. What was the essential problems during development?

Error handling. Catching errors and handling them in the right places
is tricky issue in the async design.