Ubuntu binaries

Freyr Magnússon

Jan 17, 2011, 7:11:53 PM1/17/11
to python-ogre...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

Are there binaries available for ubuntu.  The 1.7.2 and 1.7.1 look very windows like.

Do I have to brave building it from scratch?

Freyr

Vi3Gamehkr

Jan 17, 2011, 9:10:59 PM1/17/11
to python-ogre...@googlegroups.com
Building it from scratch actually isn't too hard.  Look at http://wiki.python-ogre.org/index.php/LinuxBuildV4

The problems I had with that include: pyplusplus didn't install correctly in step 3, but in step 3 it mentions a remedy for that.  Also, CEGUI downloaded as CEGUI-0.7.1.tar.gz\?download but the instructions also have a remedy for that.  Follow the instructions to the letter and you'll have 1.7.1.  Keep in mind that the whole process will probably take around 4+ hours.

Recently I have had some trouble reinstalling CEGUI because it didn't work for me, but I have yet to fix that.  Let me know if you run into any problems.

lper...@zagmail.gonzaga.edu

Jan 18, 2011, 6:46:31 PM1/18/11
to Python Ogre Developers
I don't know if he's run into problems, but I sure did.
Everything worked sketchily (no problems I couldn't figure out myself)
until the python python-ogre/BuildModule.py -g ogre --usesystem line.
That one failed, the contents of out.log are here: barney.gonzaga.edu/
~lperkins2/out.log
Be forewarned it is ~2.5 MiB, hence why I couldn't use pastebin. Any
help with how to fix it would be appreciated.

Goat Man

Jan 18, 2011, 8:04:59 PM1/18/11
to python-ogre...@googlegroups.com
the build is simply too complex, +1 for ubuntu binaries.
-brett

Marcus Johnson

Jan 19, 2011, 11:41:19 AM1/19/11
to python-ogre...@googlegroups.com
I've never made Ubuntu binaries myself, but maybe this weekend I'll give that a shot.

Marcus Johnson

Jan 19, 2011, 11:43:52 AM1/19/11
to python-ogre...@googlegroups.com
Also, lperkins, I can't access that file. 403 Forbidden.
 -- Vi3

Freyr Magnússon

Jan 19, 2011, 1:51:29 PM1/19/11
to python-ogre...@googlegroups.com
ubuntu binaries would also make mainstream adoption much easier. even if only a .deb would be provided that can finish the deal.

+1 mozdef

andy miller

Jan 20, 2011, 8:37:42 PM1/20/11
to python-ogre-developers
I've updated the SVN (trunk) and updated the wiki instructions -- so while it's a long process it builds cleanly (on a fresh Ubuntu install anyway)..

dermont

Jan 20, 2011, 11:41:53 PM1/20/11
to Python Ogre Developers
@Andy

Sorry I don't have a current copy of the build so can't supply a
patch, but from memory:

1) to build other modules such as cegui/ogrebulletd etc. you may have
to enable threading i.e. update generate_code.py to include:

if environment._USE_THREADS:

if environment.isWindows():

defined_symbols.append('BOOST_HAS_THREADS')

defined_symbols.append('BOOST_HAS_WINTHREADS')

else:

defined_symbols.append('BOOST_HAS_THREADS')

defined_symbols.append('BOOST_HAS_PTHREADS')

and update environment.py:

if isWindows():
_USE_THREADS = True
BOOST_STATIC = False
else:
_USE_THREADS = True
BOOST_STATIC = False

2) Update cegui's module _init_.py
ctypes.CDLL("libCEGUIBase-0.7.5.so", ctypes.RTLD_GLOBAL)

3) For python_ogre_aliases.h code generation fails on due to missing
header:
//typedef Ogre::StaticCache< 256u > StaticCache256u;

python_ogre_masterlist.h
#include "OgreZip.h"

4) OgreTerrain Module
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3032565&group_id=186291&atid=916690

andy miller wrote:
> I've updated the SVN (trunk) and updated the wiki instructions -- so while
> it's a long process it builds cleanly (on a fresh Ubuntu install anyway)..
>
> 2011/1/20 Freyr Magnússon <freyr.m...@gmail.com>
>
> > ubuntu binaries would also make mainstream adoption much easier. even if
> > only a .deb would be provided that can finish the deal.
> >
> > +1 mozdef
> >

> > On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Marcus Johnson <vi3.ga...@gmail.com>wrote:
> >
> >> Also, lperkins, I can't access that file. 403 Forbidden.
> >> -- Vi3
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> > --
> > .

dermont

Jan 21, 2011, 1:33:33 AM1/21/11
to Python Ogre Developers
Also with threading enabled the stdint.h included with python-ogre
causes a number of errors generating the code. I'm assuming it's
somehow picking this up instead of <stdint.h> but I can't see where,
simply deleting it resolves the problem.

andy miller

Jan 21, 2011, 5:58:26 AM1/21/11
to python-ogre-developers
Dermont

Thanks for the notes -- some are fixed already (aliases etc) however haven't tested CEGUI with latest build so will incorporate your changes along the way..

And will need to sort out the stdint.h issues (I renamed it so will probably have to automate it as well...

Andy

Freyr Magnússon

Jan 21, 2011, 6:24:32 PM1/21/11
to python-ogre...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Andy.  Will try it out the process this weekend.

Marcus Johnson

Jan 21, 2011, 9:51:42 PM1/21/11
to python-ogre...@googlegroups.com
I have no idea what I've done that could have changed this, but recently, CEGUI stopped building on both my desktop and laptop, complaining about a version difference in libtool.  It said something to the effect of
"libtool: Version mismatch error. This is libtool 2.2.6, but the
libtool: definition of this LT_INIT comes from libtool 2.2.6b.
libtool: You should recreate aclocal.m4 with macros from libtool 2.2.6
libtool: and run autoconf again.
"

dermont

Jan 21, 2011, 10:23:40 PM1/21/11
to Python Ogre Developers
For those of you who you who build the cegui module using CEGUI 0.7.5
you may want to update the configure command in buildCmds to disable
building the image DevIL codec and the official cegui python module
shipped with CEGUI.

--disable-devil --disable-python-module

The official python module appears to be built by default and from
experience you will know how long that takes to build. On the other
hand you may want to test it out.

andy miller wrote:
> I've updated the SVN (trunk) and updated the wiki instructions -- so while
> it's a long process it builds cleanly (on a fresh Ubuntu install anyway)..
>
> 2011/1/20 Freyr Magnússon <freyr.m...@gmail.com>
>
> > ubuntu binaries would also make mainstream adoption much easier. even if
> > only a .deb would be provided that can finish the deal.
> >
> > +1 mozdef
> >

> > On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Marcus Johnson <vi3.ga...@gmail.com>wrote:
> >
> >> Also, lperkins, I can't access that file. 403 Forbidden.
> >> -- Vi3
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> > --
> > .

lper...@zagmail.gonzaga.edu

Jan 21, 2011, 4:28:59 PM1/21/11
to Python Ogre Developers
Thanks, i'll give this a try tomorrow
>  http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3032565&group_id=1862...
>
> andy miller wrote:
> > I've updated the SVN (trunk) and updated the wiki instructions -- so while
> > it's a long process it builds cleanly (on a fresh Ubuntu install anyway)..
>
> > 2011/1/20 Freyr Magnússon <freyr.magnus...@gmail.com>
>
> > > ubuntu binaries would also make mainstream adoption much easier. even if
> > > only a .deb would be provided that can finish the deal.
>
> > > +1 mozdef

lper...@zagmail.gonzaga.edu

Jan 21, 2011, 4:28:38 PM1/21/11
to Python Ogre Developers
oops, log.out not out.log

barney.gonzaga.edu/~lperkins2/log.out

dermont

Jan 22, 2011, 7:15:54 AM1/22/11
to Python Ogre Developers
Andy has already done some updates to the svn for the Linux build. You
should do an svn update, as he suggested on the addons-forum, and
rebuild.

http://www.ogre3d.org/addonforums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13932

Some of the changes applied to threading so may not be relevant to the
current build. If you encounter problems you should post here first.

Freyr Magnússon

Jan 22, 2011, 5:35:41 PM1/22/11
to python-ogre...@googlegroups.com
I have built the basic ogre lib using Ubuntu Lucid and used the Ogre.sh scrip and it worked fine for most of the part.  python-celementtree failed to install but I could install python-elementtree straight from the deb file. the celementtree should be needed though since it is a part of python since 2.5, AFAIK.

I can at least load the ogre module in python 2.6 :)

The bullet module failed for me though and it is referencing a non existent file. There is a similar file to be found in the bullet download area but it is called bullet-svn-r2243.zip rather than bullet-r2243.tgz as it is in the scrip.  Where is the bullet it defined in the scrip? Didnt find it in BuildModules.py.  And can the BuildModules.py scrip handle a zip file inplace of the .tgz?

regards,
Freyr

dermont

Jan 23, 2011, 1:46:03 AM1/23/11
to Python Ogre Developers
It's in environment.py under the bullet class:

class bullet(pymodule):
if not isWindows():

You should be able to exchange the file extension from ".tgz" to
".zip" and the extraction command from "tar zxf " to unzip + " -q -o
" (look at the freeimage module for an example).
> > <python-ogre-developers%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<python-ogre-developers%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

> > <python-ogre-developers%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<python-ogre-developers%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

andy miller

Jan 23, 2011, 9:06:25 PM1/23/11
to python-ogre-developers
SVN has been updated to build the latest bullet code on Linux

Regards
Andy

Freyr Magnússon

Jan 25, 2011, 5:41:00 AM1/25/11
to python-ogre...@googlegroups.com
oh, nice... had it sort of sorted... but been really busy at work to actually follow it through.

Thanks