Support for Excel 2007 in xlrd

Mac

Oct 22, 2008, 4:49:30 PM10/22/08
to python-excel, bkl...@rksystems.com
The web page for the current version of xlrd says "Support for Excel
2007 XML files is on the way." How's it coming?

John Machin

Oct 22, 2008, 6:49:03 PM10/22/08
to python...@googlegroups.com
On 23/10/2008 07:49, Mac wrote:

Hi Mac,

Welcome to the group.

> The web page for the current version of xlrd says "Support for Excel
> 2007 XML files is on the way." How's it coming?

Functionality: equivalent to current xlrd with open_workbook(...,
formatting_info=0) i.e. just the data.

State: I have a standalone version that appears to be working well. I am
prepared to make this available to serious alpha-testers while I'm
working on integrating the code into the SVN trunk -- if you are
interested, please e-mail me off-list.

Cheers,
john

Chris Withers

Oct 24, 2008, 4:01:04 AM10/24/08
to python...@googlegroups.com
John Machin wrote:
> State: I have a standalone version that appears to be working well. I am
> prepared to make this available to serious alpha-testers while I'm
> working on integrating the code into the SVN trunk -- if you are
> interested, please e-mail me off-list.

It would be great if this were on a branch in svn ;-)

Chris

- http://www.simplistix.co.uk

Wouter van Heyst

Oct 23, 2008, 8:22:15 AM10/23/08
to python...@googlegroups.com

Would you be ok with doing the xlsx work in a new branch and merge that
to trunk when ready? I'm willing to do the merge work if that is a
sticking point.

Wouter

John Machin

Oct 24, 2008, 5:27:00 AM10/24/08
to python...@googlegroups.com

Hi Wouter,

To answer your question and Chris's remark:

I don't see the point in creating a branch. The integration, once I
start, shouldn't take long. I don't foresee anything else much happening
while I'm doing that. The only question is when to start i.e. should
there be a release done first to get the accumulation of minor fixes out
of svn and into pypi?

Cheers,
John

Wouter van Heyst

Oct 24, 2008, 5:59:43 AM10/24/08
to python...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 08:27:00PM +1100, John Machin wrote:

> Hi Wouter,
>
> To answer your question and Chris's remark:
>
> I don't see the point in creating a branch. The integration, once I
> start, shouldn't take long. I don't foresee anything else much happening
> while I'm doing that.

The point of having a seperate branch would be that people (thinking of
myself here) can collaborate on it without it blocking a 0.7.0 release.

> The only question is when to start i.e. should
> there be a release done first to get the accumulation of minor fixes out
> of svn and into pypi?

Revision 2852 is what 0.6.1 is based on? The diff doesn't look terribly
big, but it might be nice to flush that out before introducing a big
change like .xlsx support. If doing a release takes as much time as
xlwt 0.7.0 I'm fine with doing that first.

Wouter

Chris Withers

Oct 24, 2008, 10:15:47 AM10/24/08
to python...@googlegroups.com
John Machin wrote:
> I don't see the point in creating a branch.

Given the triviality of it, what's the point in *not* creating a branch ;-)

It would mean that you don't have to offer to email zips to people and,
as Wouter points out, that the development doesn't block up the trunk no
matter how long or short a time it takes.

(svn cp https://secure.simplistix.co.uk/svn/xlrd/trunk
https://secure.simplistix.co.uk/svn/xlrd/branches/mybranch )

> while I'm doing that. The only question is when to start i.e. should
> there be a release done first to get the accumulation of minor fixes out
> of svn and into pypi?

Yes please!