Environment support

Olof Bjarnason

May 18, 2012, 4:08:09 AM5/18/12
to pytd...@googlegroups.com
Yo list!

What Python versions do you think is reasonable for pytddmon to support..? My gut feeling is that, yes, it's cool to support all the way to 2.4, but seriously 2.7+3.2 is enough.

Reason I'm asking is that we have a we a config explosion coming up: there is a guy that's working on IronPython+Jython support for pytddmon, we I find seriously cool, but it will (almost) 3-fold the number of environment configurations pytddmon will have to work in:

O/S: Linux, Windows, Mac (yes, I know mac is Linux but hey it's different enough)
Python: 2.5/6/7, 3.1/2
Platform: CPython, IronPython, Jython

I know quite a lot of combinations does not make sense: Jython is 2.5/7 only, IronPython 2.6/7 only.

Basic question is: how do we keep quality high, when we have to support so many environments?

Thoughts?

Samuel Ytterbrink

May 18, 2012, 4:24:44 AM5/18/12
to pytd...@googlegroups.com

2012/5/18 Olof Bjarnason <olof.bj...@gmail.com>

Yo list!

What Python versions do you think is reasonable for pytddmon to support..? My gut feeling is that, yes, it's cool to support all the way to 2.4, but seriously 2.7+3.2 is enough.

Reason I'm asking is that we have a we a config explosion coming up: there is a guy that's working on IronPython+Jython support for pytddmon, we I find seriously cool, but it will (almost) 3-fold the number of environment configurations pytddmon will have to work in:

O/S: Linux, Windows, Mac (yes, I know mac is Linux but hey it's different enough)
Mac is not Linux! its BSD!

--
//Samuel Ytterbrink

Rock Neurotiko

May 18, 2012, 4:25:48 AM5/18/12
to pytd...@googlegroups.com
Technically, it's Unix...

2012/5/18 Samuel Ytterbrink <nep...@gmail.com>

--
Miguel García Lafuente - Rock Neurotiko
Vocal de la Junta Directiva Nacional del Partido Pirata.

"Libertad en lugar de miedo." - "Información libre, sociedad libre."

El contenido de este e-mail es privado, no se permite la revelacion del contenido de este e-mail a gente ajena a él.

Samuel Ytterbrink

May 18, 2012, 4:31:21 AM5/18/12
to pytd...@googlegroups.com
Yes, BSD is unix, the kernal is Darwin which is a BSD flavor.

2012/5/18 Rock Neurotiko <miguelg...@gmail.com>

--
//Samuel Ytterbrink

Olof Bjarnason

Olof Bjarnason

May 18, 2012, 5:01:25 AM5/18/12
to pytd...@googlegroups.com
This thread reminds me of this XKCD:

Anyone have something constructive to say on topic? :)

Samuel Ytterbrink

May 18, 2012, 5:04:55 AM5/18/12
to pytd...@googlegroups.com
;P
well yes, i think dropping support is god, though Dists like Centos will be left behind, but since i think its more of a run inviroment then a development enviroment its ok.

2012/5/18 Olof Bjarnason <olof.bj...@gmail.com>

--
//Samuel Ytterbrink

Olof Bjarnason

May 18, 2012, 5:15:32 AM5/18/12
to pytd...@googlegroups.com
Cool. I think it makes economic sense since we're so few developing pytddmon.

I think we should be more explicit on pytddmon.org on exactly what we support. Something like this:

"pytddmon supports CPython 2.7 and 3.2 on Windows, Mac & Linux"

If/when IronPython/Jython support exists this will change to something like

"pytddmon supports CPython/Jython/IronPython 2.7 and CPython 3.2 on Windows, Mac & Linux"

Samuel Ytterbrink

May 18, 2012, 5:22:55 AM5/18/12
to pytd...@googlegroups.com
1+

2012/5/18 Olof Bjarnason <olof.bj...@gmail.com>

--
//Samuel Ytterbrink

Olof Bjarnason

May 18, 2012, 6:21:43 AM5/18/12
to pytd...@googlegroups.com
Having second thoughts; are we really dropping CPythin2.6 support..? Isn't that like "really widely used" still? Is there some statistics anywhere? Is there a compelling reason to use Py2.7+ features in pytddmon.py? [yes, I love the with: syntax, but not that much]

Eivar Montenegro

May 18, 2012, 11:27:09 AM5/18/12
to pytd...@googlegroups.com
Hello everybody

On Friday, May 18, 2012 5:21:43 AM UTC-5, Olof Bjarnason wrote:
Having second thoughts; are we really dropping CPythin2.6 support..? Isn't that like "really widely used" still? Is there some statistics anywhere? Is there a compelling reason to use Py2.7+ features in pytddmon.py? [yes, I love the with: syntax, but not that much]

I am relatively new to python's versions differences but according to [1] python 2.x is more widely used but there will not be major version after 2.7 which, for me at least, means that is just a matter of time before support for python 2.x start to fall. So IMHO it's right to support CPython 2.7+.

Main problem will be Jython, because it seems to lack many features like "with statement".

Olof Bjarnason

May 18, 2012, 11:34:37 AM5/18/12
to pytd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eivar!

2012/5/18 Eivar Montenegro <e.mo...@gmail.com>
Actually, Jython 2.7 beta was released yesterday (!)

Jython 2.7a1 Has Been Released (May 17, 2012)

While that might be a weak argument, I think it will take some time before we announce "pytddmon works in IronPython/Jython environments" anyway, so we might just shoot at 2.7+ compatibility? What do you think?

Welcome to list!

Olof Bjarnason

May 18, 2012, 11:37:01 AM5/18/12
[...]

Err, sorry, it was only alpha1, but anyway, it's coming along :)

Eivar Montenegro

May 18, 2012, 11:51:44 AM5/18/12
to pytd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Olof!

On Friday, May 18, 2012 10:37:01 AM UTC-5, Olof Bjarnason wrote:

2012/5/18 Olof Bjarnason
Hi Eivar!

2012/5/18 Eivar Montenegro
[...]

Yes I agree we should just shoot at 2.7+ support.
I am going to download Jython 2.7a1 and try pytddmon

Welcome to list!
Thank you!

Olof Bjarnason

May 19, 2012, 8:06:41 AM5/19/12
to pytd...@googlegroups.com
I've updated the Dependencies page to reflect our discussion.

http://pytddmon.org/?page_id=79