using buildout with pylons

Chris Withers

May 19, 2009, 7:43:37 AM5/19/09
to pylons-discuss
Hi All,

I found this:

http://wiki.pylonshq.com/display/pylonscommunity/Howto+install+Pylons+with+buildout

...which looks nice and straight forward. However, I've been having some
problems. If I do *exactly* what's on that page, it works, so I guess I
must have an issue at my end.

BUT, one thing I have noticed so far is that after running buildout, I
end up with eggs for Paste, PasteDeploy and PasteScript in
pylons_buildout/myproject, which is wrong.

They should either be in pylons_buildout/eggs or, thanks to my
default.cfg, in ~/buildout-eggs.

So, what's installing those eggs there and why? Oh, and how can I make
it stop?

Chris

- http://www.simplistix.co.uk

Wichert Akkerman

May 19, 2009, 12:33:41 PM5/19/09
to Chris Withers, pylons-discuss
Previously Chris Withers wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I found this:
>
> http://wiki.pylonshq.com/display/pylonscommunity/Howto+install+Pylons+with+buildout
>
> ...which looks nice and straight forward. However, I've been having some
> problems. If I do *exactly* what's on that page, it works, so I guess I
> must have an issue at my end.
>
> BUT, one thing I have noticed so far is that after running buildout, I
> end up with eggs for Paste, PasteDeploy and PasteScript in
> pylons_buildout/myproject, which is wrong.

Everything in setup_requires and test_requires is installed there, and
buildout can't prevent that. As a workaround you can move those
dependencies to install_requires.

Wichert.

--
Wichert Akkerman <wic...@wiggy.net> It is simple to make things.
http://www.wiggy.net/ It is hard to make things simple.

Chris Withers

May 19, 2009, 1:03:33 PM5/19/09
Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>> BUT, one thing I have noticed so far is that after running buildout, I
>> end up with eggs for Paste, PasteDeploy and PasteScript in
>> pylons_buildout/myproject, which is wrong.
>
> Everything in setup_requires and test_requires is installed there,

Why?

> and
> buildout can't prevent that.

Again, why?

cheers,

Wichert Akkerman

May 19, 2009, 1:53:48 PM5/19/09
to Chris Withers, pylons-discuss
Previously Chris Withers wrote:

> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> >> BUT, one thing I have noticed so far is that after running buildout, I
> >> end up with eggs for Paste, PasteDeploy and PasteScript in
> >> pylons_buildout/myproject, which is wrong.
> >
> > Everything in setup_requires and test_requires is installed there,
>
> Why?
>
> > and
> > buildout can't prevent that.
>
> Again, why?

setuptools internals do that, and buildout has no influence over that as
far as I know. If you want to discuss that distutils-sig is the right
list.

Wyatt Baldwin

May 20, 2009, 2:11:26 PM5/20/09
to pylons-discuss
In Google Reader, this post looks like this:

Why?
Again, why?
cheers

It's Haiku-esque.

Chris Withers

May 29, 2009, 6:56:33 AM5/29/09
Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Everything in setup_requires and test_requires is installed there, and
> buildout can't prevent that. As a workaround you can move those
> dependencies to install_requires.

OK, did this, now when a I run buildout I get:

C:\Python26\lib\distutils\dist.py:266: UserWarning: Unknown distribution
option:
'paster_plugins'
warnings.warn(msg)

Should I be worried?

Wichert Akkerman

May 29, 2009, 8:05:43 AM5/29/09
to Chris Withers, pylons-discuss
Previously Chris Withers wrote:

> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > Everything in setup_requires and test_requires is installed there, and
> > buildout can't prevent that. As a workaround you can move those
> > dependencies to install_requires.
>
> OK, did this, now when a I run buildout I get:
>
> C:\Python26\lib\distutils\dist.py:266: UserWarning: Unknown distribution
> option:
> 'paster_plugins'
> warnings.warn(msg)
>
> Should I be worried?

No. It means you can no longer use "paster shell development.ini". I've
never needed that so far.

WIchert.

Wyatt Baldwin

May 29, 2009, 1:12:35 PM5/29/09
to pylons-discuss
On May 29, 8:05 am, Wichert Akkerman <wich...@wiggy.net> wrote:
> Previously Chris Withers wrote:
>
> > Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > > Everything in setup_requires and test_requires is installed there, and
> > > buildout can't prevent that. As a workaround you can move those
> > > dependencies to install_requires.
>
> > OK, did this, now when a I run buildout I get:
>
> > C:\Python26\lib\distutils\dist.py:266: UserWarning: Unknown distribution
> > option:
> >   'paster_plugins'
> >    warnings.warn(msg)
>
> > Should I be worried?
>
> No. It means you can no longer use "paster shell development.ini". I've
> never needed that so far.

I don't "need" it either, but it sure is handy.

Chris Withers

May 30, 2009, 7:18:52 AM5/30/09
to pylons-...@googlegroups.com

Yeah, I use "zopectl debug" a lot so I can see this becoming something
I'll miss...

How do I get it working again and yet still not have setuptools vomit
eggs where it shouldn't?