Is AuthKit still acrively being developed?

Bartosz R

Sep 12, 2008, 8:38:30 AM9/12/08
to pylons-discuss
Some claim (http://beta.stackoverflow.com/questions/47801) that it is
not. And so it seems that the last commit was 2 months ago... Can
anyone clarify?

Jonathan Vanasco

Sep 12, 2008, 1:24:42 PM9/12/08
to pylons-discuss
trac histories are really confusing now...

a lot of projects have moved to git for active development and just do
an occasional svn commit for a public tagging

i don't know that status of authkit itself, but i wouldn't judge a
project by svn activitity anymore

Wyatt Baldwin

Sep 12, 2008, 1:42:12 PM9/12/08
to pylons-discuss
That link is to a site that requires login.

Devin Torres

Sep 12, 2008, 2:35:25 PM9/12/08
to pylons-...@googlegroups.com
I've been developing with Pylons for over 6 months now, and since then
I haven't seen a new AuthKit release.

-devinus

Mike Orr

Sep 12, 2008, 4:05:19 PM9/12/08
to pylons-...@googlegroups.com, James Gardner

Cc'ing James Gardner, AuthKit's maintainer. The main problem with
AuthKit has been the documentation rather than the code, so I think
he's been working mainly on that. The Pylons Book, which he's also
writing, contains the latest documentation:

http://pylonsbook.com/alpha1/authentication_and_authorization

--
Mike Orr <slugg...@gmail.com>

Jorge Vargas

Sep 12, 2008, 4:43:33 PM9/12/08
to pylons-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 11:24 AM, Jonathan Vanasco
<jona...@findmeon.com> wrote:

> On Sep 12, 8:38 am, Bartosz R <radaczyn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Some claim (http://beta.stackoverflow.com/questions/47801) that it is
>> not. And so it seems that the last commit was 2 months ago... Can
>> anyone clarify?
>
> trac histories are really confusing now...

why? I have no problem with
http://pylonshq.com/project/pylonshq/timeline do you?
now if you want

> a lot of projects have moved to git for active development and just do
> an occasional svn commit for a public tagging

I assume you mean mercurial? As for svn as far as I know no one
commits there anymore, in fact links are giving 404. if you want to
follow all commits the best place will be the RSS from
http://knowledgetap.com/hg/

> i don't know that status of authkit itself, but i wouldn't judge a
> project by svn activitity anymore

authkit was never hosted on pylons site

This link shows the 2 months inactivity
http://authkit.org/trac/browser

I'm also interested on the status, as far as I know authkit is
"complete" but the lack of documentation makes it a big issue as it's
such a complex package.

Jonathan Vanasco

Sep 12, 2008, 4:50:32 PM9/12/08
to pylons-discuss
i was just talking about open source projects in general...

a lot of people seem to be leaving subversion for git, or mercurial,
or other more distributed apps, and only syncing to the main svn repo
on a major release

nothign bad about that -- it just makes some projects look inactive
when they're quite active

2 months without an update isn't necessarily a bad thing either. it
often means projects are just being maintained for bug fixes, because
they don't need new features or major reorganizing.

Mike Orr

Sep 12, 2008, 5:45:05 PM9/12/08
to pylons-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Jonathan Vanasco <jona...@findmeon.com> wrote:

> i was just talking about open source projects in general...
>
> a lot of people seem to be leaving subversion for git, or mercurial,
> or other more distributed apps, and only syncing to the main svn repo
> on a major release

Pylons has moved to Mercurial for Pylons, Routes, WebHelpers, and
Ben's other projects. Several other Python packages have also moved
to Mercurial because it's really convenient to commit to your local
repository, share a tentative patch with somebody for testing, and
then push it to the main repository if it's good. The ability to
clone repositories during development is also useful; e.g., to test a
feature/refactoring which may turn out to be a dead end.

I have stayed away from git because Mercurial is Python, its command
syntax is modeled after Subversion, while git is written in C and has
a reputation for being uebergeek/hard to use. I don't know of any
Python projects using git.

In the Pylons repositories, people do check in minor changes just like
they do in Subversion. When enough changes accumulate or the BDFL
considers one of them is critical, a release is cut. But note that
some packages have multiple repositories:

https://www.knowledgetap.com/hg/

- pylons-0.9.6 : stable bugfix branch
- pylons-1.0 : experimental 1.0 branch without deprecated/Python 2.3 support
- pylons-dev : development branch (future 0.9.7, now at 0.9.7rc1)

- routes : Routes 1.x stable and incremental development branch
- routes2-dev : Routes 2 development branch (not yet usable)

--
Mike Orr <slugg...@gmail.com>

Jorge Vargas

Sep 12, 2008, 6:16:35 PM9/12/08
to pylons-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Mike Orr <slugg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Jonathan Vanasco <jona...@findmeon.com> wrote:
>>
>> i was just talking about open source projects in general...
>>
>> a lot of people seem to be leaving subversion for git, or mercurial,
>> or other more distributed apps, and only syncing to the main svn repo
>> on a major release

my bad, I though it was a remark regarding pylons.

> Pylons has moved to Mercurial for Pylons, Routes, WebHelpers, and
> Ben's other projects. Several other Python packages have also moved
> to Mercurial because it's really convenient to commit to your local
> repository, share a tentative patch with somebody for testing, and
> then push it to the main repository if it's good. The ability to
> clone repositories during development is also useful; e.g., to test a
> feature/refactoring which may turn out to be a dead end.

Also fast, there is a very nice discussion about this on the
turbogears-trunk mailing list, as TG is also moving. If you care to
read all the good reasons.

> I have stayed away from git because Mercurial is Python, its command
> syntax is modeled after Subversion, while git is written in C and has
> a reputation for being uebergeek/hard to use. I don't know of any
> Python projects using git.

plus it has (had) a bad integration into Windows, which some people still use :)

James Gardner

Sep 12, 2008, 9:07:16 PM9/12/08
to Mike Orr, pylons-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

AuthKit is still being actively developed and still being used. As Mike
says, the documentation is the main problem rather than the code. I'll
be addressing that after I've completed the Pylons book.

Cheers,

James

Adam Dziendziel

Sep 30, 2008, 10:37:39 AM9/30/08
to pylons-discuss
Hi James,

the are bugs in the code too which haven't been fixed for months.

For example,
http://authkit.org/trac/ticket/30
I can't release my site into production without this solved...

Best regards,
Adam